The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 14, 2017, 08:59 AM   #26
Txhillbilly

I just love all you nay sayers! WAKE UP, The 6.5 Creedmoor is over 10 YEARS OLD, it's not a new cartridge on the market.
If you are just hung up on the 260 Remington, or 6.5x55 that's just fine, but don't bad mouth a cartridge because you personally don't like it.

Hell, my 6.5-06 beats all of them, but I still shoot two Creedmoors, a 260, and a 260 AI.
Old December 14, 2017, 09:01 AM   #27
stagpanther

Quote:
Hell, my 6.5-06 beats all of them, but I still shoot two Creedmoors, a 260, and a 260 AI.
But have you tried 6mm creed yet?
Old December 14, 2017, 11:18 AM   #28
Txhillbilly

Nope, and I probably won't. I have no want's or need's in any 6mm cartridge.
Old December 14, 2017, 01:28 PM   #29
RC20

While I know zip about the Bagera, you can build your Savage (or a donner receiver) into a low cost and very good custom gun.

First there are a lot of Savage choices that might get you that setup you want.

Savage has both a good trigger (and any one with a hunting Acu trigger can be changed to a Varmint which goes to 1.5 lbs or you can adjust it up to 2.5 lls)

The floating bolt head goes a long ways to good alignment and avoiding an expensive receiver of a blue print job.

If not, there are about a million barrel makes that will make you a barrel (probably have it in stock) in 6.5 of any length and profile you can hope to have.

I would likely go with a Lothar Walther in the Varmint Profile with a 22 to 24 inch barrel

That around $320 for the barrel.

If you want you can put it on yourself with about $125 in tool bought or have a gunsmith do it probably for the same (a Savage barrel change is easy).
Old December 14, 2017, 01:37 PM   #30
RC20

Quote:
I just love all you nay sayers! WAKE UP, The 6.5 Creedmoor is over 10 YEARS OLD, it's not a new cartridge on the market.
If you are just hung up on the 260 Remington, or 6.5x55 that's just fine, but don't bad mouth a cartridge because you personally don't like it.

It took me a while to unravel that one

If I was buying all new I would give the 6.5 Creed a serious look. Maybe 6.5 Lapua as well. 260 would be high on the list.

It has far more going for it that I realized when it came out. Just a larger caliber background.
Old December 14, 2017, 02:42 PM   #31
FrankenMauser

I just love all you nay sayers! WAKE UP, The 6mm bore is over 120 YEARS OLD, it's not a new caliber on the market.
If you are just hung up on the 6.5-06, or 6.5 Creedmoor that's just fine, but don't bad mouth a caliber because you personally don't like it.

Hell, my pellet rifle beats all of them, but I still shoot two .243s, a 6x45mm, and a .240 Wby.

I have no wants or needs in any 6.5mm cartridge.

See what I did there?
It's called "opinion" and choice ... with a little helping of hypocrisy.

----

Anyway....
Back to the rifle(s).
What is it about the Bergara that has you so enamored, QuarterHorse?
Old December 14, 2017, 03:38 PM   #32
tobnpr

Thread bouncing around with yours, similar "multipurpose" role:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=591696

And I'd proffer the same suggestion.
The best way to solve the tradeoff between a heavy contour needed for target strings, and a lightweight barrel for packing- without fluting (of some value), or compromising with other than the best contour and length for the application is with a Proof Research carbon fiber barrel. Take your Model 10 Savage and screw on a prefit.

6.5 Creedmoor? Maybe. Fine for 1k yard target, whether or not it'll work on the game end of the equation only you know. Depends on the game, and the maximum range you expect to engage.

Nothing wrong with an "old" Savage 10, my old "flatback" Savage shoots half-minute. That's not due to the action- it's the barrel.

The barrel is THE most important component when building or buying an accurate long range rifle, and the optic is second IMHO. The Proof Research will give you what you're looking for; and you can always extend it's serviceable life by removing it and screwing on a less expensive barrel for casual shooting if you like.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old December 14, 2017, 07:06 PM   #33
QuarterHorse

FrankenMauser- You don't here a lot about Bergara other than their barrels in the US. The fact they have good trigger components, a pillar bedded stock and nice adjustments for the cheek riser have me liking the fact I don't need to put a new stock on right away if at all. It's also nice to have something of quality other than what seems to be "typical" firearms you see on the firing line at "Any range USA".

The Tikka I handled today in fact didn't have as nice a stock, the action seemed like an action you'd expect to be in rifle for that money should be, not this "unicorn" of an action that some folks on the internet make it sound like. Some articles read like the Tikka was "touched by god" per say and I raise an eyebrow a bit. Most folks seem to tout what is in their safe is what you should get. Coupled with the fact that a lot of different screen names you see on forums have similarities in wording raise an eyebrow for me. Who knows, maybe the action in the Tikka I picked up was "poor for Tikka" I don't know.

Thank you everyone for your opinions and thoughts on the matter.
Old December 14, 2017, 10:03 PM   #34
Txhillbilly

Tikka is just an entry level Sako. Their actions are smooth,and they shoot very good out of the box,but they are far from being the best of anything.
Old December 14, 2017, 10:20 PM   #35
Wrought

The bergara b14 hunter is a quality rig id get a 6.5creed in one of those if i had the money to burn right now. The stock is excellent i handled one in .308 when i picked my latest buy up in october and i was impressed. The bolt is smooth and tight, it was well balanced for shooting freehand. It had a floor plate instead of a mag though
Old December 14, 2017, 10:27 PM   #36
603Country

I have a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless, with a #4 Brux barrel, in 260. Had a guy make it up for me. Light, super accurate, and low recoil. I’m sure it would be just as good in 6.5 CM. It’s my favorite rifle, having replaced my Sako Lightweight hunter in 270. I like the synthetic stock, which is now bedded. I’d buy another one in a heartbeat, if I just needed another caliber, but unfortunately I don’t. Very smooth action and great trigger. The Sako is prettier, but the Tikka goes to the woods with me. But...

If I was going to the mountains, i’d want a bit more caliber horsepower. Probably i’d call the guy that had the Tikka put together for me and have him do it again in 270 Winchester. Brux 20 inch #4 barrel, syn stock, stainless barrel and action. Fact is that the 270 does hit harder, though for what I do, the 260 works just fine. And I can handle the bigger recoil.
Old December 15, 2017, 09:00 AM   #37
GeauxTide

Love the 6.5. I have a Grendel, 260, and 6.5-06. Just love them. I prefer the 260 case because I can make them from 243, 7-08, or 308 if I need to.
Old December 17, 2017, 12:37 AM   #38
QuarterHorse

Ok let's really pop some eyeballs. For all of the folk saying too heavy on the HMR, and I'm not disagreeing, I've not seen a recommendation other than the Tikka on a riflemto do both. We could bump the price to under 1500 and say maybe the Christensen Arms Mesa? Other recommendations for a light rifle with a barrel to keep up with a precision class?
Old December 17, 2017, 06:17 AM   #39
stagpanther

Instead of an internet "people's court" Id recommend you do two things at this point. 1) Go to a local range, dealer, friend, whatever and borrow a 6.5 creed and fire it. The bullet will fly accurate--no matter what configuration you try (well, except maybe that anderson 16" type 1 grendel barrel that I bought lol) 2) Spend some time with a ballistics calculator--there's tons of em out there available for free--and pattern the kinds of loads you'll be shooting--and compare them to the alternatives. You'll know what to do then.
Old December 17, 2017, 07:24 AM   #40
QuarterHorse

Because I like gathering info from other experienced folks and seeing replies. Thanks for your input!

I have a chrono, loads for calibers in my safe worked up, and multiple guns. Much like the same reason you're on a forum, I like seeing other people's opinions on a subject.
Old December 17, 2017, 08:54 AM   #41
stagpanther

Quote:
Because I like gathering info from other experienced folks and seeing replies. Thanks for your input!

I have a chrono, loads for calibers in my safe worked up, and multiple guns. Much like the same reason you're on a forum, I like seeing other people's opinions on a subject.
Old December 17, 2017, 09:11 AM   #42
m&p45acp10+1

Sorry to seem like the odd man out here. I would get two rifles. I Already have the Savage Model 12 FV Cablea's Exclusive. Wtih the rebate it was under $350. I put a scope, rings, and base on it that cost well more than the rifle itself did. Light it is not. Sub MOA for over 10 shots before the barrel starts get a bit warm yes it is. If doing a class this is the one I would take with me. I set it up still under $1k and that is with a 6-24x50 scope with FFV recticle, side focus, and no tool adjustment turrets for windage, and elevation. Warne rings, and base were used as well. The more frills rifles are running over $1k without the base, rings, or glass. If I feel like it at some point I may put a nicer stock on mine to make it look like a super ninja ultra sniper rifle. (Joking abut the super ninja ultra sniper thing.)

For a rifle to pack into the rough high country I would get a Savage Axis with the AccuTrigger, and Scope it with what I can afford and still keep the weight down. It will still give you sub MOA. It just will not do it for a long string of shots. It is still able to make hits beyond what most owners will ever be able to milk it for. It I were not doing the Savage then I would probably go with a Ruger American.