The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 12, 2017, 05:19 AM   #1
Tony Z

Henry single shot

Was at Grices in Clearfield, PA yesterday, and several clerks were unpacking/admiring a new Henry Single Shot. Very pretty gun, with brass and gorgeous stock. Price tag was on gun - $464 (if I remember correctly). Gun was not in their system so clerks couldn't tell if spoken for. Couldn't handle the gun either.

I could see getting one of these for grandsons, but the gun didn't look youth sized and the brass shoulder plate would give quite a kick in 12ga. But as pretty a gun as I've seen in quite a while.
Old December 12, 2017, 10:04 AM   #2
Rifletom

They come in 20ga also. There are two different models in each ga to choose from. They do look very nice. I saw the ad yesterday, just can't recall where. Henry site will have it.
Old January 5, 2018, 05:09 PM   #3
PlatinumCore16

sorry for a bit of an older post. I'm actually selling my Henry Topper model 88 in 12ga. Not one of the real nice ones, but a serviceable firearm. Problem is it's so light and the LoP is so short it literally punched me in the face. Nice and simple mechanism, but gun is just too light and ill-fitting.

Thought about putting a nice, soft, long butt pad on it, but just made more sense to ditch it.
Old January 5, 2018, 06:43 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

Henry didn't make your Topper shotgun. It's an H&R or NEF.
Old January 8, 2018, 02:50 PM   #5
PlatinumCore16

Oh yes, I am mistaken. Thank you for correcting me. My experience still stands, but I don't have direct experience with the OP's gun brand. My apologies.