The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 15, 2017, 05:13 PM   #51
ammo.crafter

7x?

A sweet outfit I've been using lately is a Contender rifle (22") in 7x30 Waters. Soft recoil and kills consistently at 200 yds. with Barnes 140gr TTSX.
Old December 15, 2017, 07:38 PM   #52
Stats Shooter

Quote:
noticed the .270 didn't get much mention in the thread. My bud hunts with a Winchester featherweight loaded with 150gr bullets and it kicks as hard as my 30-06.
The first hunting rifle I bought for my wife (and only hunting rifle) is a .270. I took it out, fired it prone, with 150 grain hornady factory ammo. It was quite unpleasant.
So I developed a hand load with the 130 partitions. I was able to safely achieve 3050 fps with H4831 SC, but it was a bit too snappy for the wife. So I dropped it to 2900 fps.

150 fps doesn't sound like much but it made all the difference to her. She can sit at the bench and with a sweatshirt on shoot 20 rounds without much discomfort.

This is what I suggest doing. Also, a .308 with 150 ground bullet does the same thing at factory velocity and will kill an elk.
Old December 15, 2017, 08:52 PM   #53
Dranrab

Good call USAF. You are going to love it. Let us know how it shoots.
Old December 16, 2017, 02:56 AM   #54
Old Stony

I had a Savage model 16 in 6.5 CM that I used a lot for night hog hunting. When you add the night vision it starts to be a heavy package to haul around, but I did have the heavy barrel. It shot well, but I finally moved on to the same caliber in an AR platform.
I also bought a Ruger American, and absolutely love it for my hunting uses. I haul a rifle around with me in my truck every day, and they get beat around quite a bit. The Ruger really takes a beating and still shoots great. I have yet to try anything through it that won't do 1' or better at 100 yds., with no modifications to the rifle. Very light, ergonomic, with light recoil.
I manage some hunting properties that I'm out on every day and it has become a very useful tool. I've shot deer and hogs with it, and the caliber is great as far as I am concerned.
As far as I am concerned, the Ruger is light, recoil is light and performance is great. Not a beautiful wood stocked rifle, but very capable.
Old December 16, 2017, 08:20 AM   #55
Jack O'Conner

Check out a Marlin 336 levergun chambered for 35 Remington cartridge. It fires a 200 grain bullet at about 2100 fps that has a long reputation of effective lethal performance. Recoil is moderate. My Uncle Larry hunted with this rifle in Canada where he downed a moose and a large black bear. Countless deer were toppled with this classic hunting rifle. Uncle Larry willed this rifle to me and its a keeper!

Sighted in for three inches high at 100 yards places the bullet just a little high at 150 yards which is probably the maximum distance I'd consider taking an elk.

Jack
Old December 16, 2017, 09:23 PM   #56
USAF Ret

Alright, now (with all of the great advice) I have made my choice. Good elk and deer rounds for the 6.5? I went to Palmetto State Armory today and looked at the selection. A lot of match ammunition. I did see some 120 grain hunting ammunition, but I know I need something around 140 grains for elk.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/25...ld-x-box-of-20

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/65...-vld-box-of-20

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...10-boxes-of-20

Last edited by USAF Ret; December 16, 2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old December 16, 2017, 09:47 PM   #57
Dranrab

I am a big fan of Nosler bullets, so I'd go for the Winchester/Accubond out of those, although I suspect they's all serve you well.
Old December 16, 2017, 11:03 PM   #58
ratshooter

Quote:
The first hunting rifle I bought for my wife (and only hunting rifle) is a .270. I took it out, fired it prone, with 150 grain hornady factory ammo. It was quite unpleasant.
So I developed a hand load with the 130 partitions. I was able to safely achieve 3050 fps with H4831 SC, but it was a bit too snappy for the wife. So I dropped it to 2900 fps.

150 fps doesn't sound like much but it made all the difference to her. She can sit at the bench and with a sweatshirt on shoot 20 rounds without much discomfort.

This is what I suggest doing. Also, a .308 with 150 ground bullet does the same thing at factory velocity and will kill an elk.
Mississippi is online now Report Post
Hey Miss. I like your thinking. If I had a 270 I would load it down to around 2800fps with 130gr bullets and have a pleasant to shoot deer killer. Contrary to what you may have read on internet forums 3000+fps is not needed to kill 150 pound deer. And where I live a 150 pound deer just might make the local newspaper.

I do something similar with the Remington model 7 I own. I have the older 18.5" barrel model with walnut stock and with a Leupold 2x7 on it it weighs 7.5 pounds. I have a load with 120gr Sierra bullets loaded to maybe 2600fps for a little girl who is 5'2" tall and maybe 100 pounds. But she has killed 4 deer so far with it. All one shot kills and never complains about the recoil. Thats because there is almost none to speak of. Those bullets were designed for specialty pistols like the T/C Contender and around 2200-2300 fps start velocity so at my higher speed they give very good expansion. Almost too good. But three of the 4 shots were pass throughs and the 4th was found in the gut pile. Nice exit holes too.

But this rifle loaded with full power 150gr loads is a whole nuther beast. It kicks. It kicks as bad as the Remington model 700 .308 carbine I had and stupidly sold without spending any real time with it. What I would give to have that one back.
Old December 17, 2017, 01:14 PM   #59
Stats Shooter

Quote:
Hey Miss. I like your thinking. If I had a 270 I would load it down to around 2800fps with 130gr bullets and have a pleasant to shoot deer killer. Contrary to what you may have read on internet forums 3000+fps is not needed to kill 150 pound deer. And where I live a 150 pound deer just might make the local newspaper.
Yea....not to hijack this guy's thread.

But, I usually purpose build my rifles and hand loads. I personally have a relatively high tolerance for recoil, so I load the hottest and most accurate load I can for me in everything I shoot.

But I understand some people, for whatever reason, just will not tolerate it. And if you try and force them too, they will hate it, or perform poorly.

So like this OP said, he has a disability. So, figure out what you can handle but above all else, make sure you are having fun doing it.
Old December 18, 2017, 09:18 AM   #60
taylorce1

I'd look at the 127 grain LRX ammunition from Barnes for elk.
Old December 19, 2017, 08:13 AM   #61
458winshooter

Disabled

Not got much to add to what has been said already but I did want to take the time to say thank you for your service to our country.
Old December 19, 2017, 09:05 AM   #62
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by 458winshooter View Post
Not got much to add to what has been said already but I did want to take the time to say thank you for your service to our country.
Thank you sir.
Old December 21, 2017, 12:49 PM   #63
m&p45acp10+1

Not sure how well it works on elk. The 140 grain Accubond by Nosler is incredible for accuracy. I put 10 into under an inch. A family member of mine has pictures of the 4 mule deer he and guys took using the 6.5 CM with 140 grain Accubond bullets.
Old December 21, 2017, 05:44 PM   #64
Wrought

I reccomend shooting nosler ballistic tip hunting bullets, nosler partitions, or sierra gamekings. Stay away from the ultra high bc and match bullets, theyre not meant to be used on heavy game only varmints.