The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 16, 2017, 10:32 PM   #51
Metal god

I now would say note the disc size and the high and low ofvwhat that disc throws with a particular powder . I’d also weigh the charges each time i loaded to be sure my highs and lows were up to date .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 16, 2017, 11:31 PM   #52
kmw1954

Checking charges is something I do w/o even thinking about it. It's just part of my routine.

I can understand your thought on volumes and densities. When I first received my disk measure I only had one powder in the house, HP-38. So I took the time to get familiar with it and started dropping test samples from each cavity and recording them. I believe I did about 25 in each one and was amazed at how consistent they were and noted the high and the low and also the average. I then noted it in my logbook. A few months later I came into a second measure so I did the same thing as before and when I went back to compare there was quite a discrepancy. So I brought out the old one and double checked it against what I found previously. There was a difference. WoW was all I could say. Same measure. exact same powder from the same container with 2 different results a few months apart.

I check weigh many more charges than I believe most do. Yes it slows me down but I have nothing but time. It also gives me peace of mind.
Old December 17, 2017, 11:22 AM   #53
jamaica

"When the charge weight is inconsistent how would you mark the weight? The low weight, high weight or as it to me is just a reference point mark the Disk cavity or dipper size?"

I use a powder measure. It is the Lyman with three slides. It can be set up for a small amount of pistol powder to a large charge for a large rifle cartridge. Yes, the weight of the thrown charge may vary a bit depending on the powder, but I don't worry about it. I don't load to full max anyway and figure a little this way or that is not going to matter.
Old December 17, 2017, 11:31 AM   #54
jamaica

There is also some to be said about how you operate the powder measure. I have had some say handle up (this is where it fills) bump the knocker to make sure the cavity is full then handle down to dump.

I prefer to go handle up, wait half a second for the cavity to fill then handle down to dump, then hit the tapper to make sure it all dumped. And when the measure is half full, full it up again. It seems to make a bit of diff how much powder is in the measure. IOW it will dump a bit less as the powder drops in the measure.

Any way I am happy with whatever the measure drops, I am not one to weigh each charge.

Oh, if you change to a new container of powder, always check weights as I have found the powder may vary a bit from batch to batch even with the same type and name on it.

Sorry, this thread was about labeling and ends up about powder measures. Hmmm guess we need to stick to the subject?

Anyway: Date, Bullet type and weight, Powder type and weight, Primer type and brand, are what need to be put on the label.

Last edited by jamaica; December 17, 2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old December 17, 2017, 12:24 PM   #55
Metal god

Quote:
Same measure. exact same powder from the same container with 2 different results a few months apart.
Ok we are on the same page and is why I don't like the disc type measures . I still recommend you get the charging bar upgrade for the Lee auto disc . That way you just write the actual intended charge and you check weight it every time there after .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .