The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 6, 2010, 10:17 PM   #1
Regolith

Weaver Classic V-Series Rifle Scope 1-3x 20mm

Anyone have any experience with one of these?

I want to put a compact scope on my Mini-14 without paying a whole lot, and wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with them.

Last edited by Regolith; May 6, 2010 at 10:18 PM. Reason: title fix
Old May 6, 2010, 10:21 PM   #2
draggon

Got one on a 45-70 Ruger No.1. Good eye relief, satisfactory optics and not broken yet after about 100 max loads and lots of milder loads.
Old May 15, 2010, 09:37 PM   #3
dwwhite

I had one on a .45-70 as well, though mine was a Marlin 1895. I also had several hundred rounds of STOUT loads through the gun and never had a single problem.

If I had a Ranch Rifle instead of a standard Mini, I'd have kept the scope when I sold the Marlin, but alas, no easy, solid mounts for the older Mini's.

The only thing, don't expect the light gathering capabilties of a 50mm scope with this thing. It's a great little scope, and if you've read the reviews on the Midway site, I think a lot of people agree, it's just not built for precision shooting at long ranges in low light.

That said, if you take a 20mm lens, divide by 3 power, you still have an exit pupil of 6-7 mm, this is about as big as the pupil of your eye is going to get, even in low light, so even discounting some light loss through the lens, you've still got just about as much light as your eye can handle, even at the highest power.
Old May 15, 2010, 09:42 PM   #4
Regolith

Quote:
it's just not built for precision shooting at long ranges in low light.
Neither is the Mini.

Thanks for the reviews; they help confirm what I was seeing on Midway.
Old May 16, 2010, 08:45 PM   #5
griz

I have one mounted on a Savage 12/223 combo gun. It's seen maybe a few dozen 3 inch mags (mostly turkey loads) and several hundred 223 rounds and the zero has never drifted. I'm happy with it and it strikes me as perfect for a Mini.
Old May 17, 2010, 06:12 AM   #6
lmccrock

Never used one, but they are popular as a beginning scope for 3-gun competitions on 223 rifles.

Lee
Old May 22, 2010, 03:25 AM   #7
bamaranger

No weaver but.......

I put a Leu 1-4, bought used from ebay, on my Mini-30. I don't know what Weavers policy is, or the price of a new weaver, but I figure the Leu was a bargain and lifetime speedy repair.

The mini's have a rep as scope eaters, that bolt and op rod running back and forth I guess. My mini-30 has destructed several bushnells and a Tasco.
Old May 22, 2010, 03:28 AM   #8
bamaranger

same same

I just looked at your OP and the add, and that's about what I paid for the used Leu. I rather have the USA Leu used, than the import weaver.

Leu will upgrade the reticule to your choosing for about $55 bucks down the road later if you want, also.
Old May 22, 2010, 09:52 AM   #9
dksac2

For the money, the Weaver scopes are pretty decent.
I have several older Weavers sitting in a box.
The other day I pulled them out and looked at them.
Not bad optics for old scopes.
Weaver has made thousands of scopes and many of us grew up with a weaver on our rifles.
Should hold up on your mini just fine.
Put a 45 auto type recoil buffer on the spring righ up against the receiver. It helps cut down on shock by the OP rod.
Some people also put buffers over the gas piston to lessen shock when the op rod makes contact with the gas block.
I don't care for them as they sometimes stop the rifle from going into battery.
Shaving them to about half width is popular, but I still won't use them.
I want my Mini to be 100% reliable (thats why I bought a mini. not an AR:barf, so I don't use a front buffer. The rear buffer has never caused a problem.

Best Regards, John K