Does it matter while out and about all
the "targets" are pretty young women?
Old March 26, 2018, 09:46 AM   #52
OldMarksman
Staff

Excellent put, Brian!
Old March 26, 2018, 07:15 PM   #53
briandg

Do not wait for the timer if pretty women are in the area, make use of your observational skills at all times. Keep those eyes wandering, don't miss a thing.

I don't think that I need to remind you that it's much harder for a woman to hide a dangerous weapon on her person when wearing scanty materials. Does that mean that she doesn't have a weapon stashed?

No, It's just well hidden. It is an easily located fact that one in ten people carry a concealed weapon. Every beach with one thousand people on it has one hundred people carrying a concealed weapon. Simple facts, right? Well, half of them are women, so on a beach of ten thousand people, there are fifty babes in bikinis who are packing a weapon somehow. Those women are a test of observational skill that the concealed carrier most take advantage of. When you find the glock hidden in the thong, is there any better educational experience?

There it is. You read it on the internet. It must be true. Like, share, and post amen, and you will be able to spend summer at the beach enhancing your observational skills.
Old March 26, 2018, 07:26 PM   #54
UncleEd

Uh oh, Briandg, now I'm in trouble.

I'm not going to any beaches!

I'll stick with Walmart.
Old March 26, 2018, 08:52 PM   #55
HighValleyRanch

"Sir, why are you staring at me???"

Uhh,, I was looking for a weapon! According to statistics............
well, you know what I mean!:
Old March 26, 2018, 09:47 PM   #56
pelican

Just don't get stabbed with a hairpin.
Old March 26, 2018, 11:05 PM   #57
briandg

Ed.

Do not look for concealed weapons at Wal-Mart. You need those eyes. A woman was arrested over on 20th street maybe fifteen years ago with about $200 of ribeyes packed in her dress. If she can hide ten or wenty pounds of steak in her clothes, it's doubtful that you will see that model 29.
Old March 27, 2018, 01:30 PM   #58
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Uhh,, I was looking for a weapon!
If one's idea of situational awareness involves trying to detect the carrying of weapons, one should rethink the strategy.
Old March 27, 2018, 02:18 PM   #59
Doc Holliday 1950

I used to live in TN. Where a majority
of people carried. I always assumed
that everyone was carrying. Now I’m
in So. Fl. & assume the same.
The moral of this is “Be Vigilant At
All Times”. The most dangerous people
down here are the Drivers!

Doc
Old March 27, 2018, 02:32 PM   #60
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
If one's idea of situational awareness involves trying to detect the carrying of weapons, one should rethink the strategy.
Jeesh, lighten up! Go to post 53! I was being sarcastic.
You are getting OLD Mr. Old Marksman!
Old March 27, 2018, 04:00 PM   #61
OldMarksman
Staff

This is not really an appropriate place for sarcasm that does not provide some value to the discussion at hand.
Old March 27, 2018, 08:11 PM   #62
moosemike

I've used Snubbies since 1995. I've always shot well with them. But I've always had steel frames.
Old March 28, 2018, 09:27 AM   #63
David R

Learn to shoot the 642 and you will be good with anything.

The gun IS accurate.

David
Old April 8, 2018, 09:18 AM   #64
shurshot

The 3 yards, 3 rounds and 3 seconds number DOES have statistics to back it up, hence the focus on close range shooting. I'll search for the exact most recent stats (I have them at the office, I'm home today), and post later, but the numbers are based on LEO deaths... and the majority are head shots at VERY close range. Also, I read most are South of the Mason Dixon line and occur during PM hours. That being said, I agree with others who posted practicing at 25 yards, which will make 3 yards much easier if the Devil ever decides to visit you in the flesh. Many agency's are focusing more on up close fast draw / point shooting and weapon retention tactics given these sobering numbers and the outright hostility LEO's encounter today from various groups. I'm counting down my last 5 years to my pension. 642? I love mine... very accurate, more than I can do it justice.
Old April 8, 2018, 09:40 AM   #65
pete2

The 642 is my favorite carry gun. I can pocket carry and draw from the pocket. I have a Ruger LC9 and I'm a little more accurate with the LC but even tho I can carry it in a pocket the shape prevents drawing it. Rear of the slide hangs in pocket. I can do pretty well at 15 yards with the 642, I can keep them on the IDPA cardboard at 25 but I really scatter them. Neither gun is a 25 yard gun for me.
Old April 9, 2018, 03:05 PM   #66
dogzebra

Snubbies

A friend had me smooth the tip of the trigger of his 642 bc it was gouging his finger. I then took it to the range to try it out. Snappy little booger, but at bad breath distances it is a dandy little package.

Two of my snubbies are sighted with CT lasers zeroed at 50'.

If you want to shoot tin cans all day, invest in a good shock glove to save your shooting hand from the damaging recoil.
Old April 10, 2018, 10:05 AM   #67
WheelGunMan

Quote:
I shoot my lightweight snubs as accurately as any of my other semi's. But with the snubs and DA only, I use very different trigger techniques and hold.

For the longer double action pull get a deep hook on the trigger instead of the finger pad press. This will give more strength on the pull. For accuracy, learn how to stage the trigger.
This means feeling when the cylinder locksup right before the trigger break. So you are taking up half the pull before the final break. Sometimes the final break will have a clean wall, others might be more a rolling break. Just pull through the break and concentrate on a steady hold accepting your amount of wobble. The worst thing that you can do with a DA only revolver is to jerk the trigger. Yes you can do a smooth pull through trigger break as well, but that is more like a condensed surprise shot.

Get a very high hold on the gun. With some of the hump back and LCR's you can get much higher hold than semi's. With no hammer to worry about hammer bite, you can use the thumb over the back technique to help with recoil on the super light guns. A rubber grips that covers the backstrap will help with heavier loads.
Quote:
I carried a J frame 36 for 20 years as an off duty gun before we transitioned to Glocks. The qual course was modified to a max distance of 15 yards vs. the 25 for a service revolver. Sights and trigger pull work against practical accuracy. Practice and patience can offset that. Staging the trigger is great for range accuracy. I would caution against that approach (apologies to High Valley Ranch) for self defense use. The break point between staged and discharged can be razor thin. At typical SD range, a smooth pull with the first finger joint on the trigger always worked for me. Snap caps and practice will get you where you want to be.
Sage advice! How does the saying go? "Under stress, you will most likely react as you have trained."

There's a great story I read somewhere about a LEO who was highly trained in the use of his service revolver. Found himself in gunfight one day where his opponent had him out gunned with the use of a long arm. Using available cover and his expert marksmanship he prevailed and won the fight. When his fellow officers arrived they noticed a bulge in his front pocket. When they asked him about it he was unaware of what it was. Upon emptying the contents of the pocket he discovered all of his empty shell casings that he had subconsciously inserted there during the battle. When he trained at the range he would put his empty casings in his pocket so he wouldn't have to bend and pick them up afterwards. His subconscious state had taken over his gun handling duties for him. Pretty amazing.

I just read that over this past winter and am taking it to heart, because I wear a front dump pouch when I attend the defensive shoots at the local range. I keep my loaded speedloaders and deposit my empties in there (for the same reasons) because we are required to pick up our casings immediately after we shoot at each station. I think I can probably stand the exercise.
Old April 12, 2018, 09:34 AM   #68
Glenn E. Meyer

If you are talking about the Newhall incident as one where brass was pocketed, that seems to be a myth:

http://blog.krtraining.com/book-revi...hall-shooting/

There may be others out there but not so well researched.

Here's a nice analysis of snubbie usage and practice by Claude Werner:

https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress....-capabilities/

I took his snubbie class as I think if I carry a gun, I'd better come up to speed on it. If one can't take a class, Claude has quite a few good practice drills for such guns.
Old April 12, 2018, 10:16 AM   #69
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
I like the gun and plan to keep practicing. I'm not looking to make modifications to the gun, but was curious to know how long it took other new small-frame revolver shooters to develop accuracy at 15-25 yards.
Quote:
Staging the trigger is great for range accuracy.
EXACTLY. If you are shooting out to twenty five yards with an LCR, staging the trigger might be necessary for an accurate shot. Not everything is trained for up close SD training. I was merely suggesting that the OP might want to learn some trigger control to improve his snubbie experience.
Old April 12, 2018, 01:37 PM   #70
WheelGunMan

Quote:
If you are talking about the Newhall incident as one where brass was pocketed, that seems to be a myth:
Actually NO...it was an excerpt from article out of this months Shooting Illustrated called "Savvy Snubby Practice" by Chris Christian recounting a story from Border Patrol officer Bill Jordan.

The message I took away wasn't the story, embellished or not, but the training instincts that took over at the moment of the encounter. (As it turns out the lone officers assailant was over 100 yards away and armed with a .30-30 Win rifle while he only had his .38 Spl. service revolver) The take away is that right in the middle of a gunfight, this officer took the time to transfer his empty cases to his pocket. Because, that is exactly the way he trained during his range practice. Every habit he acquired in training, good or bad, became instinct when his training was called upon in a high stress situation.

I guess the point I was trying to point out is, and I quote..."Under stress, you will most likely react as you have trained."

I think it's telling us we should be mindful of our training exercises as bad habits are easy too make and hard to break.
Old April 12, 2018, 04:04 PM   #71
Glenn E. Meyer

I read that one also. I wonder how well the story was vetted. With no offense to the writers, I've heard gun trainers sometimes embellish to make a point. One told a story as if it happened to him. I then read it in a gun rag article from another author who it happened to.

So who knows?
Old April 12, 2018, 04:48 PM   #72
WheelGunMan

Quote:
I read that one also. I wonder how well the story was vetted. With no offense to the writers, I've heard gun trainers sometimes embellish to make a point. One told a story as if it happened to him. I then read it in a gun rag article from another author who it happened to.

So who knows?
Great story just the same. . .makes one review his or hers training regimen!