The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 3, 2013, 01:05 AM   #1
vorgath

First time shooting a revolver

Went to the gun range, with my semi that I bought two days earlier.

Decided to rent a revolver, a S&W 386, however I decided to shoot 38 Special rounds.

I liked the feel of the revolver, sturdy, the grips could be better, but here's the big problem .... the damn gun didn't fire all the rounds ?!?!?! Yes it managed to misfire three times .. I thought to myself, fine maybe since it's the first time shooting a revolver I counted the rounds wrong (yeah fat chance of that) .. but when unloading the rounds .. yup ... one fresh non fired round .. this happened three times

I reused the non fired rounds ... so they all fired eventually

Remarks ? Comments ? ... Bad ammo ... or ... a worn out gun not properly maintained at the range

Reason it really bothers me is because when I was looking for a gun I was thinking either a reliable 45 ACP or a 357 revolver
Old September 3, 2013, 03:19 AM   #2
Chowder

Quote:
a worn out gun not properly maintained at the range
This would be my guess. I would have wanted my rental money back even if it was a small sum. Did you take a look at the primers to see if they looked like light strikes? Also I know some ranges make you shoot ammo that they sell, and it can be cheap light loaded reloads so it may have been the ammo.
Old September 3, 2013, 05:00 AM   #3
NWCP

While I carry a semi auto and primarily own semi autos I have a few revolvers. All of my revolvers have been reliable shooters. A range gun could have a weak spring, or most likely you had some bad ammo. My wife has a Ruger SP101 .357 and loves it. She shoots .38 special +P primarily and has never had an issue one.
Old September 3, 2013, 06:40 AM   #4
Kreyzhorse

That sounds like a worn out range gun. If you buy a reliable revolver, Smith or Ruger for example, you'll get a revolver that fires every time.

Don't discount them due to one bad experience. Generally speaking, a revolver is going to be equal to, or better than the mos reliable auto.
Old September 3, 2013, 06:47 AM   #5
TimSr

Quote:
Bad ammo ... or ... a worn out gun not properly maintained at the range

One or the other. Revolvers are typically everh bit as reliable as your semi-auto.
Old September 3, 2013, 09:23 AM   #6
skoro

Quote:
Remarks ? Comments ? ... Bad ammo ... or ... a worn out gun not properly maintained at the range
I strongly suspect a revolver that needs some gunsmithing. I've owned and fired many S&W revolvers and never experienced what you did.
Old September 3, 2013, 09:29 AM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

It takes a lot of shooting to wear out that gun; I suspect a dirty gun or maybe even something broken. Believe me, that is unusual for any good quality revolver.

Jim
Old September 3, 2013, 03:14 PM   #8
vorgath

That's what I thought as well, in fact I expected a revolver to be more reliable than a semi auto pistol
Old September 3, 2013, 03:44 PM   #9
Webleymkv

I see three possible reasons for the issue. The most likely is that the strain screw was backed out too far. This is probably the most common cause of light strikes on a S&W revolver because it's something that amateur gunsmiths can't help but tinker with. You see, there is a screw on the bottom front of the gripframe that should be bottomed out in order to keep proper tension on the hammer spring (it may have been covered by the grips on your rental gun). Too often, people mistake this for a "trigger pull adjustment screw" and try to back it out in order to lighten the trigger pull only to cause light strikes.

The second most likely cause is the ammunition. If you were shooting reloads or "remanufactured" ammunition (both of which are commonly sold by ranges) then this would be a likely cause. If whoever loaded the ammunition did not get the primers seated completely, then they will be pushed forward by the firing pin which may reduce the crushing force on them enough to cause a misfire. When a cartridge misfires on the first attempt but goes bang reliably on the second strike, that's an indicator that the primers weren't seated deeply enough.

The final, and least likely, possible explanation is that the gun has a short firing pin. S&W revolvers with scandium-alloy frames (which the 386 has) are known to sometimes have light strike issues because they are fitted with shorter firing pins that steel-frame models. S&W does this to ensure that they won't have issues passing California's rather ridiculous drop test so that these models can be sold in that state. I have heard that if a scandium-frame revolver has issues with light strikes and is returned to S&W for repair, they will install the longer standard-length firing pin for non-CA residents.
Old September 3, 2013, 09:24 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

I suppose anything is possible Cuckooland, but that firing pin is very small and light; it is hard to conceive of any test where it could be made to fire a gun by inertia.

Jim
Old September 4, 2013, 05:00 PM   #11
Webleymkv

Quote:
Originally posted by James K
I suppose anything is possible Cuckooland, but that firing pin is very small and light; it is hard to conceive of any test where it could be made to fire a gun by inertia.
I have a hard time seeing it too, but then again California does seem to be rather creative in coming up with ways to ban guns. As I understand it, CA's drop test involves dropping the gun from 1 meter onto a concrete slab in six different positions while a primed case is in the chamber.

Like you, I have a difficult time imagining that the primer could be detonated by inertia, but I've seen the issue referenced on several forums including this one in the past.