The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 3, 2013, 04:49 PM   #1
S.billy

9mm oal question

In my lyman 49th book it has a lead bullet 120gr with a oal 1.065. My bullet weight is 122gr it's a flat point bullet. If I set the bullet where it crimps just past the lube ring my oal is 1.075 I'm just wanting info on this please
Old May 3, 2013, 05:19 PM   #2
Misssissippi Dave

A couple grains difference in bullet weight isn't going to make much difference if any. What does make a difference is the depth the base of the bullet is seated in the case. If you know the length of the other bullet you can measure yours to figure out the difference.

You are using a fairly deep seating with that OAL. Having the bullets fit your magazine and they feed to the chamber well you should be fine. You are still going to have to work the load up just as you would any other load you develop. You want it to cycle the pistol first. Once it does that you can increase the load a little at a time to get the accuracy where you want it to be.
Old May 3, 2013, 05:52 PM   #3
LE-28

Quote:
A couple grains difference in bullet weight isn't going to make much difference if any
I agree completely and really don't pay much mind to a 3or 4gr difference in bullet weight. I also pay attention to the seating depth as Dave said, I will reduce my powder charge by the same ratio that my bullets are seated deeper when I have to shorten my OAL.

You actually are seating longer than the published data but not by much, you should have no worries.
Old May 3, 2013, 06:13 PM   #4
S.billy

The seating depth is .245 bullet height is .557 like I said I'm seating just past the lube ring
Old May 3, 2013, 06:16 PM   #5
serf 'rett

Take a look at UncleNick's post (#3) on this thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523984

Some flat point bullet profiles will require different COAL than that found in a manual. Plus the COAL can be chamber/barrel specific if you are fine tuning your handloads. In my 9mm Springfield XDm, for example, I load Berry's 124 gr HBRNTP to a overall length of 1.150 inches; however, I load Berry's 124 gr HBFP at 1.070 inches. Both bullets are 124 grain. Both bullets are hollow back. However, the wider nose profile of the Flat Point Bullet will engage the lands at the 1.150 inches, used for the Round Nose Thick Plated bullet, causing the cartridge to headspace of the bullet instead of the cartridge mouth. I must seat the Flat Point bullets deeper to get my desired jump distance to the lands.
Old May 4, 2013, 05:22 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

as always

So, how do they shoot?
Old May 4, 2013, 06:33 AM   #7
Misssissippi Dave

Your OAL should work. If you are able to increase your OAL and still have them fit the magazine all the way to the bottom and they feed well to the chamber you will still be fine. I wouldn't consider making the OAL less. As mentioned work the load up and this should work for you. It is hard to say just what OAL is best for pistol loads. It depends on the profile of the bullet used and the pistol it is for. I have one CZ pistol that requires me to load shorter for it than any other pistol I have. I load with my OAL based on that pistol. I am able to use the same ammo with every pistol if I do this.

I find jacketed bullets much easier to work with than lead or plated. It is easier to get the crimp right and smoke is a lot less. I also don't have to slug the barrel when loading jacketed bullets and leading is a non issue. I like easy.