The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 4, 2012, 09:41 PM   #1
blackvans1234

My apartment layout, my plan, critisisms?

Hey all, I'm going to attach a picture (home made) of my apartment layout, It shows the layout of my apartment and my home defense plan. It is incredibly simple because it is a small apartment and I'm limited in my space.

I would like any constructive criticism you would like to provide.

A few notes:
I would probably go the ''Stay in my safe room'' method for a few reasons.
1) I believe in the element of surprise. IMO, most badguys do not run around with their weapon shouldered and ready to fire.

2) I live in NY where the Stand your ground / castle doctrine is a little more shakey than other states. I would much prefer to blast said intruder if they are undoubtedly and clearly inside the home than shoot them while they are trying to climb in the front window (which some gun owners have done- Can one really ID a badguy vs a locked out roomate given that scenario? YMMV)

Given the apt I believe there are little to no other options, but some of you are much more ''tactical'' than I, and I appreciate all opinions.

PS- Given that I would probably hunker into my room with the door shut, the ''alley of pain'' may be null and void, but I think it'd be a decent angle to shoot from inside my room (If I had my door open).

PPS- 2 points if you can find my guard cat

Old December 4, 2012, 09:45 PM   #2
blackvans1234

My front door is at the top right of the diagram, next to my yellow window

Also- I have a 12 gauge shotgun for HD

Last edited by blackvans1234; December 4, 2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old December 4, 2012, 10:19 PM   #3
Vermonter

quesrions

What is above, below, left, and right of your appartment?
Old December 4, 2012, 10:32 PM   #4
Dwight55

I don't like your plan, mainly because you are visible from a long distance if you face the door squarely as your arrow indicates. If the bg has to come to your room, . . . make him also have to look for you, . . . make him search, don't just be the first thing he sees.

For myself, . . . I would probably put a full length mirror on that bedroom door, . . . on the outside.

I would then prepare to make my stand from the farthest corner of that room, probably crouched behind the bed, . . . looking down the hallway via the mirror.

A dowel rod hanging on hook eye behind the door, . . . with a hook and loop in the back of the door, . . . cut the right length, . . . will prop the door to the perfect angle, . . . you set it as you get ready for bed each night, and sleep with the door open enough to see the mirror.

You are in a darkened room, . . . with 1 or 2 night lights in the living room, he couldn't see you if he had to, . . . yet he is perfectly silhouetted in the mirror.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old December 4, 2012, 10:52 PM   #5
blackvans1234

I have an upstairs neighbor, nobody below me, and an aparment to the left / right of mine
Old December 5, 2012, 01:12 AM   #6
Koda94

what do you have outside the window at the end of your 'alley of pain'? your position is the least favorable not just from a defensive position but from a liability if you miss.

I would choose somewhere along your west bedroom wall, preferably in the NW corner if the criminal was armed keeping the most distance and angle from the bedroom door.
Old December 5, 2012, 07:36 PM   #7
ltc444

Are you on the ground floor and can you use the window to evacuate?

If so then I would suggest that you install a hardened steel clad exterior door to your bedroom. If you can, reinforce the frame so the door cannot be kicked in.

Given the fact that you are in NY I would consider Lock bedroom door, report to Local Law, and if the door starts to give before the law arrives evacuate.
Old December 5, 2012, 08:20 PM   #8
blackvans1234

Outside the window downrange from the alley of pain is nothing.
I don't think it is viable to escape out of my window due to living with someone else that I would want to protect as well. I don't think (for more than one reason), that I can make adjustments to my bedroom door (other than a lock)

In regards to where I would stand in the room, The door hinges are on the right, so if I stood out of the alleyway I would be the first thing they would see if they were opening my door. I would also be firing in the direction of the person in the master bedroom
Old December 5, 2012, 10:01 PM   #9
Koda94

Quote:
In regards to where I would stand in the room, .....I would also be firing in the direction of the person in the master bedroom
it sounds like a firearm might not be your best choice for a first line of defense. IMO apartments are most difficult to protect using a firearm, there are innocent people on all sides at all times, the walls are not thick enough.

For the question of the best position to defend yourself with a firearm from an armed intruder entering your room, IMO the NW corner. For everything else about your home defense plan there is so much more to consider, especially with a roommate.

Quote:
Outside the window downrange from the alley of pain is nothing.
if you cant secure your apt from intrusion, then you cant secure whats outside your window.
Old December 5, 2012, 10:58 PM   #10
Bartholomew Roberts

Aside from the issues created by apartment dwelling, bookcases make decent cover. If an intruder approaches your "alley of pain" can he use the bookcases for cover while you have nothing but an interior wall in an apartment?

It may be worth considering if you want to fort up at the bookcases - this would let you protect the bathroom and both bedrooms and let you use whatever cover the bookcases might provide.

Tough to say over the Internet; but something to think about.
Old December 6, 2012, 12:32 AM   #11
9mm

Quote:
. If an intruder approaches your "alley of pain" can he use the bookcases for cover
lol good one
Old December 6, 2012, 12:37 AM   #12
FireForged

Using your arrow position as a reference:

Any intruder who is going to threaten occupants of the apt would likely have to cross your line of site at some point. I wouldnt care about them being able to see me, I would care more about me being ready and seeing them first. If they are moving and you are stationary, that would lend to the belief that you will probably see them first. If it were me, I would choose the same position that you did.

If I had a suggestion, it would be to upgrade all the doors to solid wood with good locks and re-enforced strike plates.
Old December 6, 2012, 12:44 AM   #13
ltc444

Caltrops might be effective. They are the first land mine. basically spikes which are strewn out so that a horse or infantryman will step on them. The following link will show you pictures.

http://www.google.com/search?q=caltr...w=1033&bih=905

Since it appears that a real barricade or escape is not in the cards, a nonlethal method might be what you need.

A 20 pound ABC fire Extinguisher would probably work very effectively. Place some noise makers in the hall way, several coke cans with 13 pennies in them and sealed with tape. When they are disturbed they will make a racket. With your door open and lights in bedroom off shoot the fire extinguisher down the hall way. It will cause the intruder to gag, cough and if it gets in the eyes it will cause instant pain and potentially blindness.

Then you can deal with him using the standard Louisville slugger or my favorite close combat weapon a 9 iron.
Old December 6, 2012, 11:23 AM   #14
45_auto

Just hope that your roommate doesn't step out of their master bedroom door at the wrong time.
Old December 6, 2012, 11:37 AM   #15
OldMarksman
Staff

Realistically, most of us would likely have to defend ourselves from wherever we happen to be at the time.

Yes, virtually every expert recommends getting everyone into a saferoom if possible, but that strategy is dependent upon being able to get there in time.

Your floor plan does seem to lend itself to that strategy better than most.

Every violent burglary of an occupied residence that I can remember having happened around here in the last few years involved two or more invaders and occurred during the daylight hours. Most of the entries occurred with no warning and little time to react.

Keep your contingency plans varied and flexible.
Old December 6, 2012, 11:41 AM   #16
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Posted by ltc444: Caltrops might be effective.
Harmful devices that are not willfully used against specific attackers at a specific time are dangerous and are almost always unlawful.

Quote:
With your door open and lights in bedroom off shoot the fire extinguisher down the hall way. It will cause the intruder to gag, cough and if it gets in the eyes it will cause instant pain and potentially blindness.

Then you can deal with him using the standard Louisville slugger or my favorite close combat weapon a 9 iron.
Striking someone with a bludgeon while he is defenseless will get one locked up for a long time.
Old December 7, 2012, 09:53 AM   #17
shortwave

Quote:
Caltrops might be effective.
Quote:
Harmful devices that are not willfully used against specific attackers at a specific time are dangerous and are almost always unlawful.
^^^You bet...and are most disliked by first responders (LE, EMT, Fireman etc.) in case they have to enter your dwelling for other emerg. reasons.

NOT ADVISABLE !

As B. Roberts has wisely pointed out, you have nicely provided the BG with some very convenient cover with the bookcases from two different angles if he/they are shooting into your bedroom from the living room area. He can even chose either the left or right side for most cover depending on what hand he shoots with or if two assailants, cover for both.

Your line of fire is from bedroom towards living room wall in front of apt.
Is it possible to move a bookshelf against the front living room wall in an attempt to catch stray rounds from exiting apt. when fired from bedroom?

Standing in your room facing your bedroom door, is it possible to put a dresser, bookcase or something for heavy cover on the wall left of the bedroom door opening? And for possibly sliding same in front of door(given time) to help keep door from being breeched?

Too, have you discussed with your roomy a game plan as to both your course's of action in case of such an event?

Is roomy armed as well?

Last edited by shortwave; December 7, 2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old December 7, 2012, 11:02 AM   #18
hardworker

If enough people break into your apartment that the book case and TV stand actually funnel them, it may be your time.
Old December 7, 2012, 07:56 PM   #19
X_shooter

No criticisms. The experts have already enlightened you. I would like to commend you for the effort and the analysis. I suspect the extent of plans for many is to wing it. You are farther ahead of them.
Old December 9, 2012, 10:41 PM   #20
Mezzanine

Perhaps you are better off spending time on preventing a BG from entering than reacting to such an event.
Old December 11, 2012, 10:07 PM   #21
FireForged

Quote:
Perhaps you are better off spending time on preventing a BG from entering than reacting to such an event
prevention is a good idea but if that is the only plan... it is seriously lacking. Defensive driving is a good plan but that doesnt mean that you shouldnt also wear a seatbelt or have airbags in the event your d-driving fails you.
Old December 14, 2012, 12:12 AM   #22
David White

Your attack cat is down the ally of pain either sitting on the window ledge or on a table in front of the window.
His eyes are reflecting the IR light from your camera..
Old December 15, 2012, 09:22 AM   #23
ms6852

The problem with your plan is you have advertised to the whole world what your strong points are as well as your weak points. Now any psycho wanting to get in your apartment knows the lay out and your tactical plans for defense.
Old December 15, 2012, 10:01 AM   #24
trublu

Risk assessment = likelihood of bad event X severity of that event

Things like fire or medical emergency are much more likely but not as sexy to discuss on a gun-forum. With that in mind...

Have you got smoke detectors, fire extinguisher and a rope to get out your window in case of fire ?

Do people you live with know first aid or have done first aid courses ? Do you have a first aid kit handy ?

How strong is your front door ? And what about door and window locks ?

What about your "safe room" door ? Is it strong ? and can it be dead-bolted from inside ?

Do you have a phone or cell phone and flashlight in your saferoom ?

Is there any particular reason why people might invade your home ? Got a safe for your valuables and spare keys ?

Your hardware needs to be strong enough to give you time to wake up and get ready in the case of an armed invasion....

Oh and do you know a lawyer ? And know what to say to the police when they arrive ?
Old December 16, 2012, 11:40 PM   #25
Ghost1958

I dont see anything wrong with your plan as far as plans go. Pretty much the same as I would do from the photos. All I can offer is a little advise gleaned from personal experiences.
1. Plan that your plan will go to heck should something occur.
2. Dont assume that because you see no reason anyone would invade your home that they wont. I wont go into details but mine was early afternoon several years ago. I live in the country. Low crime here at that time. No motive, nothing taken, but resulted in the shooting death of a family member. The shooter/shooters were never caught. He/she/they even locked the door on the way out.
3 Most important, never ever be out of reach of your weapon in any room of your home day or night. Your weapon wont do you much good if someone breaks in while your in the bathroom and your weapon is in the living room.
4 Expect that what you expect isnt what will happen.
Good luck and may you never have to use your plan my friend.

Last edited by Ghost1958; December 16, 2012 at 11:46 PM.