The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old July 14, 2012, 09:54 AM   #1
Creek Henry

Chiappa 1911-22 Review

My aging father was issued a .45 1911 during his stint in the Navy in the 50s. However, it had a 22LR insert in it and he loved shooting that over the standard 45acp.

So, when he read about the Chiappa 1911-22, he just had to have one. I found one on gunbroker for $225 and got it for him. I picked it up today but have not shot it.

Let me just say, this is not a gun that I would buy for myself. Now, I doubt my father will ever actually shoot it and it might be fairly accurate with ammo it likes, but it is a cheaply made blowback gun. I think it's painted instead of blued and it has no grip safety, just a manual thumb one (for righties only).

It is heavy and made out of steel, not plastic or Al. Well, the safety and magazines are plastic but for 22LR, they seem to work better actually. It should last a long time but really nothing about it excites me.

I got my AMT 22mag Automag II for the same price 20 years ago and I love it. The Chiappa is not in the same category at all.

I think my father will like it and be able to work the action despite his age and diminished strength. He's getting on in years and, I suspect, just wants to relive a moment from his youthful days while he can. I also suspect that my son will inherit it and hopefully he will find some use for it.

The Remington version of the 1911 22 looks much better but does cost twice as much.
Old July 14, 2012, 10:07 AM   #2
Venom1956

Remington 1911 .22 isn't the same size as an actual 1911... which seems stupid to me but whatever. If I had to choose one I would go with the GSG/SiG 1911 .22 seems to be the best of them in my opinion. Granted even those seem to have issues.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old July 14, 2012, 05:03 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Henry
Let me just say, this is not a gun that I would buy for myself. Now, I doubt my father will ever actually shoot it and it might be fairly accurate with ammo it likes, but it is a cheaply made blowback gun. I think it's painted instead of blued and it has no grip safety, just a manual thumb one (for righties only).

It is heavy and made out of steel, not plastic or Al. Well, the safety and magazines are plastic but for 22LR, they seem to work better actually. It should last a long time but really nothing about it excites me.
It is, indeed, cheaply made, but I should point out that all 1911 pistols and conversions in .22LR are blowback, so you can't legitimately hold that against Chiappa.

Also, it isn't steel -- it's "Chiappalloy," which, as near as I can determine, is their name for Zamack (pot metal). But, many of the other .22LR pistols that look like centerfires are also made of Zamack, so we shouldn't fault Chiappa for using the industry standard material.

It's their execution that's poor. Lousy design (mechanically), not even remotely like a 1911 internally, and horrible workmanship.
Old July 14, 2012, 07:58 PM   #4
PT-92

Quote:
Creek Henry

Chiappa 1911-22 Review
My aging father was issued a .45 1911 during his stint in the Navy in the 50s. However, it had a 22LR insert in it and he loved shooting that over the standard 45acp.

So, when he read about the Chiappa 1911-22, he just had to have one. I found one on gunbroker for $225 and got it for him. I picked it up today but have not shot it.

I got my AMT 22mag Automag II for the same price 20 years ago and I love it. The Chiappa is not in the same category at all.

I think my father will like it and be able to work the action despite his age and diminished strength. He's getting on in years and, I suspect, just wants to relive a moment from his youthful days while he can. I also suspect that my son will inherit it and hopefully he will find some use for it.

The Remington version of the 1911 22 looks much better but does cost twice as much.

Yeah, I considered this when I was looking for a 1911 22 but declined due to all of the reasons you mentioned (I read I'm guessing 50% negative reviews). I went with the GSG 1911 22 and have not been sorry. There are a few other outstanding choices out there to be sure.

As mentioned, most of the .22lr full size semis are all made of non-steel slides (the GSG/SIG, SR22, M&P 22 etc...).There are a few steel-slide full-size .22lr semis out there (some much more costly relatively speaking like the RIA, CZ to mention a few). That's if it's an important factor for some.

-Cheers
Old July 14, 2012, 08:04 PM   #5
franco45

It is what it is. An inexpensive plinker. I have over 1000 rounds through mine with no problems. I wouldn't worry too much about the alloy frame. It is a 22lr. It should hold up well enough to supply your father with many fun hours. It really is fun to shoot come to think of it. I think I'll take mine out tomorrow.
Old July 14, 2012, 08:20 PM   #6
PT-92

franco45,

I agree--heck while it's not full-size (just mentioning it here to your point as this baby is ENTIRELY pot-metal ), I purchased a .22lr mouse-gun for $134 out the door (new mind you) and have now fired just under 1K (I am keeping an exact count on this via a bar-bet with a range buddy) and it's been literally 100% reliable with ANY SV or HV ammo. The gun...A freaking Phoenix HP22A made 100% of pot-metal. Laugh if you want but if you're looking for a really cheap range/plinker .22lr gun (and I'm talking price point here not performance) spend some change (you can find them for NIB $140) and buy it yesterday already . One will not regret it for a fun mouse-gun (no, I am not recommending it for any other purpose).

-Cheers
Old July 14, 2012, 08:48 PM   #7
franco45

PT 92

I had a Phoenix HP-22 with both the 3 and 5 inch barrels. I put about 1500 rounds through it and then gave it to my nephew. He has several thousand rounds through it also. The Chiappa 1911-22 is my replacement for it.
Old July 14, 2012, 10:18 PM   #8
Creek Henry

Hey

That's good to know, Franco. I am not 'in' to 22lr anymore but if my Dad likes it, it is all that matters. It looks like a serviceable gun, but a plinker. For $225 new, it is fine... Did I mention just how cheap me father is? I cannot abide cheap guns anymore (nor handmedown cloths nor old, broken toys like I had as a kid) but he doesn't care!

Butl that is my honest review. Heck, even a new, basic Ruger is over $300 nowadays. So... It is what is is and it is what it isn't.
Old July 14, 2012, 10:51 PM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

Posted in the wrong forum.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/anno...t.php?f=1&a=97

Closed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread

Tags
1911 , 22lr , chiappa