The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 29, 2012, 05:23 AM   #1
1911Alaska

Gun safe for car?

I am interested in getting a gun safe for my car. I work in a mental facility so obviously I cannot carry my gun on me at work for safety reasons but we are allowed by the company to bring guns to work as long as we store them in our LOCKED vehicles and do not bring them out at all while working or on the property.

I usually keep my gun in the back of my seat but I would like to get a safe for my car to lock it. Although it would be extremely rare it could be possible for a client to somehow escape, break my window (my doors are always locked), find my gun (no one knows I have it, not even other staff) and use it (if she/he knew how).

Like I said and showed this has an extremely rare chance of happening and for it to happen it would take pure laziness and neglect by staff to allow but crazier things have happened (no pun intended ). I would like one however though just in case. I drive a mustang so it would have to be a small safe, but big enough for my full size 1911 and extra mag.

Any recommendations?
Thanks
Old June 29, 2012, 07:37 AM   #2
MLeake

I use a Console Vault in my truck; I opted for the 3-digit combo lock as opposed to the key lock. It wouldn't stand up to serious burglar tools, but it would definitely pose challenges for a window-smash&grab thief. While I recommend the product, it isn't cheap ($300 seems to leap to mind).

http://www.consolevault.com/vehicle-vaults

Providing less security (weak point becomes a cable), but costing a lot less, and offering the versatility of being removable and portable (and useful for airline travel with a checked firearm) would be something like this:

http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safes/nano-vault.html
Old June 29, 2012, 07:52 AM   #3
1911Alaska

hmm that gun vault one looks pretty good actually. I like the cable because it would be semi secure to my car unless somebody was able to cut it with some tools.

I do like the console vault one to. That one is very impressive (but spendy) but would be worth it I believe. unfortunately though it does not look like my car is on there.

Thanks!
Old June 29, 2012, 07:58 AM   #4
Chuckusaret

I use a single gun "Secure It" safe in each of my cars they are about $20-$25. I also use two of them in my luggage when traveling by air. Just google Secure It, most of the on line gun stores sell them, I got mine from Midway.
Old June 29, 2012, 08:03 AM   #5
Skans

I have a Jeep - there are a lot of steel locking consoles made for the Jeep. Some replace the glove box; some replace the middle console, others bolt-in underneath the passenger seat. Good stuff.
Old June 29, 2012, 08:03 AM   #6
Tactical Jackalope

I have a mustang too

This wraps around my seat

My SIG sleeping all cuddled up inside with it's silica gel packs. (Miami)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Old June 29, 2012, 08:32 AM   #7
1911Alaska

Constantine. Nice car

Is that a gunvault safe you have there from the link that is posted in the second post? If so which model? And how do you like it?

Would it fit a full size 1911 with spare 10 round magazine?
How hard would it be for you to break the cable from the box? I am reading reviews online and some of them say the cable is not attached to the box to well and a hard tug will break it free.
Old June 29, 2012, 03:09 PM   #8
Tactical Jackalope

Thank you. Gotta have a V8 lol

The box can fit a full sized 1911 with a spare mah. Yes, if you'd like I can show you when I'm home from work brother.

A tug will rip it right out? Lol that's hilarious. Unless you find Ronnie Coleman breaking into my car...I doubt that. No. I'll show a video maybe too?

Check that one out. Another awesome box that I want also, is with username: FAS1 I think. He makes them, it's his company. But I think they bolt onto the car which I wouldn't do to mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Old June 30, 2012, 03:20 AM   #9
1911Alaska

Best believe I have a v8 wouldn't do it any other way

If you have a video of it that would be great. I would appreciate but now adays everyone is busy so if you don't get around to it. All is good.
And yeh. I do not want one that I would have to bolt down into my baby...I mean my car
Thanks!
Old June 30, 2012, 03:30 PM   #10
g.willikers

Make a lock box from an ammo can:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Ammu...ster-Lock-Box/
Old June 30, 2012, 05:15 PM   #11
83v45magna

deleted.

Last edited by 83v45magna; July 2, 2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: deleted
Old June 30, 2012, 10:00 PM   #12
Savage99

Look at the Snap Safe and Zannati products and see if a safe like they make that you can assemble might fit in the car somewhere. Just an idea.

http://www.snapsafe.com/

Old July 1, 2012, 03:51 AM   #13
Sheriff Gotcha

I too have a Gunvault Nano the 300 version. It's is a nice piece of equipment; small enough to hide efficiently, yet big enough to fit a full size pistol with a bit of breathing room.

However, I am not a metallurgist nor do I have experience breaking into metal lock boxes. I feel like this thing could be opened with a hammer and a screwdriver. It just feels weak to me. Then again it's my first lockbox so I have nothing to compare it too, so that is purely opinion based.

Only cost $30 on Amazon and will fit the bill for me (which is mainly keeping the gun out of the hands of the children), so I can't complain.

I have also 'heard' good things about the Bulldog that was posted here as well. It can bolt into the floor of your car which makes it a great deal harder to access with tool and such if they were to try and pry it open. Again I have only heard these good reviews over the internet so take that with a grain of salt.

Last edited by Sheriff Gotcha; July 1, 2012 at 04:01 AM.