The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 18, 2013, 05:06 PM   #1
gav1230

Ruger LCRX

So ruger just announced the LCRX, and LCR with an exposed hammer allowing it to be fired in single action mode. It looks neat, so will anyone here be planning on getting one? Personally, I don't really see a need for an expose hammer on a defensive gun, what about you?
Old December 18, 2013, 06:10 PM   #2
carguychris

So, did Ruger also shorten the wheelbase and eliminate the back seat? j/k

In all seriousness, I think Ruger will probably sell a few of them, but not nearly as many as the regular LCR. OTOH I think it would be really smart of them to immediately offer this gun in .22LR, giving shooters a true traditional-style DA/SA
"kit gun" that's substantially less expensive than the oft-criticized and VERY pricey .22LR J frames from S&W.
Old December 18, 2013, 06:30 PM   #3
gav1230

Yep, a .22 lr version with a longer barrel and adjustable sights would be the perfect kit gun.
Old December 18, 2013, 06:31 PM   #4
lee n. field

Quote:
So ruger just announced the LCRX, and LCR with an exposed hammer allowing it to be fired in single action mode. It looks neat, so will anyone here be planning on getting one? Personally, I don't really see a need for an expose hammer on a defensive gun, what about you?
Hmmm.

Get your SP101 now. I suspect Ruger will steer all their small DA revolvers to the LCR line,eventually.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 18, 2013, 08:14 PM   #5
carguychris

Quote:
I suspect Ruger will steer all their small DA revolvers to the LCR line,eventually.
Perhaps, but they would need to extend the LCR's barrel to at least 4.14" to supplant the SP101 on the Canadian market.

The Canadian 105mm (4.14") minimum barrel length requirement is the reason why the SP101 is offered in two 4.2" versions.
Old December 18, 2013, 08:31 PM   #6
lee n. field

Quote:
Perhaps, but they would need to extend the LCR's barrel to at least 4.14" to supplant the SP101 on the Canadian market.
I doubt that would be difficult.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 19, 2013, 09:13 AM   #7
weblance

I suppose the centerfire LCRX will sell well for Ruger, but I have no interest in replacing my KLCR with one. However... I think the 22 and 22WMR versions of the LCRX will interest me. I really like my LCR 22, and would buy the 22LR and 22 WMR if they become available with a hammer.

I dont see Ruger replacing the SP101 with the LCRX.
Old December 19, 2013, 09:29 AM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

As much as I like Ruger, and I certainly do, I don't see a need for this one. If I wanted an LCR as a defensive gun, I wouldn't want an exposed hammer. If I wanted an exposed hammer, I'd go with one of their other models.
Old December 19, 2013, 09:59 AM   #9
twobit

We have one LCR in our family (wife's carry gun) and I'm planning on getting another (for myself) but I don't see a need for an exposed hammer on what is basically a small, lightweight, concealed carry, short range, defensive gun. An exposed hammer could snag or accidentally cock, and thus cause a safety issue, especially in a gun that lends itself to pocket carry, inside waist carry.....

I view this newest LCR is a step by Ruger to eventually offer a full size, open hammer revolver with the LCR trigger group. Actually an LCR with a 4 inch to 6 inch barrel would be something I could see myself getting. The current closed hammer LCR (especially in .38spl) in my opinion, is one of the best snubbies to come along ever. I really like the trigger system, the light weight, and the way it absorbs recoil. I grew up on the great S&W revolvers and have shot / carried most from the Chief Specials up through the 686. I prefer the LCR over the Chief Special.

TO RUGER: Please make a 4" open hammer using the LCR trigger group and make it in.45 Colt!
Old December 19, 2013, 10:48 AM   #10
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee
If I wanted an LCR as a defensive gun, I wouldn't want an exposed hammer. If I wanted an exposed hammer, I'd go with one of their other models.
Agreed. I would greatly prefer a .38Spl LCR over a .38Spl LCRX; OTOH I would take an LCRX over an LCR in .22LR or .22Mag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobit
The current closed hammer LCR (especially in .38spl) in my opinion, is one of the best snubbies to come along ever. I really like the trigger system, the light weight, and the way it absorbs recoil. I grew up on the great S&W revolvers and have shot / carried most from the Chief Specials up through the 686. I prefer the LCR over the Chief Special.
Also agreed, albeit with a caveat. I like the LCR better than any of S&W's lightweight J frame .38Spl models, and I shoot the LCR better than a lightweight J frame.
Old December 19, 2013, 11:21 AM   #11
Glenn E. Meyer

Pictures and story: http://www.downrange.tv/blog/the-new-ruger-lcrx/26857/
Old December 20, 2013, 08:14 AM   #12
Bezoar

thats a nice little gun. and id much rather get one with a hammer i can thumb back then one i cant.

WHy i never broke down and bought a police trade in dao revolver that had a hammer spur.
Old December 20, 2013, 05:31 PM   #13
Obambulate

It's nice to have a choice. I think it would be more useful on the rimfire models, which have heavier triggers than the centerfire LCRs. That would also put them into the kit gun / plinker category, and I think this may be where the LCRX shines. Now we need a 3" barrel and better sights.
Old December 20, 2013, 11:20 PM   #14
oldcabin

Yep, if the 22 or even better a 22lr/mag combo is available soon, I'm in. I want the smith 317, $$$ and finding one is tough. The taurus 94/941 is not the way I want to go, this would be a great middle of the road choice in a snub.
Old December 21, 2013, 12:12 AM   #15
Dragline45

Got the email for it yesterday. When they come out with a .22lr version I will be in the market for one.

Quote:
Get your SP101 now. I suspect Ruger will steer all their small DA revolvers to the LCR line,eventually.
Not a chance. Tha's like saying S&W is going to drop the Model 60 and 640 for their airweight models. Ruger would not have revamped the SP101 line so recently, and reintroduced the SP101 in .22lr, only to drop them in the near future.

Last edited by Dragline45; December 21, 2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old December 21, 2013, 05:00 AM   #16
Biff Tannen

For me, the idea of the LCR is an easy conceal and draw as a last ditch effort...
The hammer is the one cog in the wheel I could do without in an LCR, reason being the slight chance it may snag on my shirt during extreme circumstances.
This revolver is not for me, but I'm glad to see any addition to the Ruger llineup! Love the brand, the company, and their commitment to customer service!
Old December 21, 2013, 09:39 AM   #17
whip1

The LCRX in .22 is a great idea.
Old December 21, 2013, 12:26 PM   #18
Spats McGee
Staff

I guess I have to revise my statement. If they came out with this in 22LR, I might want one. Not as a defensive gun, but it might be tons of fun as a plinker, boat gun, etc.
Old December 21, 2013, 12:49 PM   #19
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Not a chance. Tha's like saying S&W is going to drop the Model 60 and 640 for their airweight models.
I wouldn't be so sure. I never expected them to drop the P95 and its brethren, either.

While most of us don't see the point of the exposed hammer, there are some shooters with hand-strength issues for whom it's necessary.
Old December 21, 2013, 01:15 PM   #20
Dragline45

Quote:
I wouldn't be so sure. I never expected them to drop the P95 and its brethren, either.
I wasn't so surprised. Alot of companies are moving away from DA/SA pistols in favor of striker fired polymers, which is a shame IMHO. With the introduction of the SR9, SR40, and SR45 selling hand over first, and the P series pistols getting left in the dust, it made more sense for them to drop the line. As far as the LCR vs SP101, revolver enthusiasts tend to be traditionalists. Ruger's bread and butter for decades has been their strong, durable, all steel revolvers. And as I mentioned before, they recently revamped the SP101 line, and re-introduced the SP101 in .22lr. It would make no sense for them to put all that time, money, and effort into the SP101, only to drop the line of pistols in the near future. Personally I don't see the SP101 going anywhere.
Old December 21, 2013, 09:50 PM   #21
Laz

I think it all depends on what people buy. I agree revolver shooters tend toward being traditional but if the LCR would end up having the impact in revolver sales the way the Glock 17 affected semi-auto sales, well...a lot of tradition would begin to fall by the wayside. Might take a decade or two.

I don't expect to see a polymer-famed single-action revolver soon, though.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old December 21, 2013, 10:26 PM   #22
lee n. field

Quote:
Yep. Ruger has done that before. The P97 didn't last real long, before being superceeded by the P345, which itself only lasted a few years. And meanwhile the P90 lasted almost the whole time the P series was made.

It matters what sells, and what's redundant in their lineup. When they came out with the SR9, and it did well, I figured the P series was doomed.

Last edited by lee n. field; December 22, 2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old December 22, 2013, 09:18 AM   #23
RUT

I have an unfired LCR that I'd gladly trade for an LCRX. I guess I'm just old fashioned, and prefer having the ability to shoot single action.
Old December 22, 2013, 02:57 PM   #24
Crazy88Fingers

I wouldn't be stuffing a LCR into a pocket or ankle holster so a hammer would actually be something I'd like. It gives me the option of single action and I can place my thumb behind the hammer when holstering in case the trigger gets caught on something. I hope this model sells well, though it likely won't replace my model 60.
Old December 23, 2013, 11:05 AM   #25
peacefulgary

I would go for one on .22LR.