The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 16, 2009, 02:36 AM   #1
SpyGuy

Left-handed Semi-auto (not expensive)?

My friend is looking for a semi-auto skeet shotgun that is left-handed. He doesn't want to spend a small fortune. He's not happy with his Remington 1100 because he feels the recoil is too strong.

Any recommendations?

"The enemies outside the US are dangerous. But those within are even more so!"
- SpyGuy
Old August 16, 2009, 08:29 AM   #2
oneounceload

Perhaps the stock on the 1100 doesn't fit him properly - that will make recoil feel worse than it would for someone where the stock does fit. Benelli makes a LH gun, but they're not cheap - for the price of one of them new, he could get a nice used O/U.

Personally, I would find someone who knows how to fit stocks. If you're in CA, Dale Tate:
Ione, CA 95640, (209) 763-9040. www.angloamericansport.com ...
Old August 17, 2009, 02:22 PM   #3
BigJimP

If he doesn't like the recoil from a gas operated gun like the 1100 - he only has one option on that gun - and its to add some weight to the gun. If he can add 1 lb to the gun / it will reduce the recoil almost 12%.

The trick is to add it without fouling up the balance of the gun / so some under the foreend / some in the butt ( using lead tape, etc ).

All of the gas operated guns ( Remington, Browning, Beretta, etc are all going to give you about the same amount of recoil ) - and they're soft shooting guns, if they fit you / if they don't fit - they will beat you up. But like OneOunce said --- Fit, is the key.

The inertia operated guns - are a plus in my opinion / Benelli, etc - but if they are not a synthetic stock, with the Benelli Comfort Tech system built into the stock - they will probably give you 20% more recoil than a gas operated gun. If they have the Comfort Tech system - I think the recoil is about the same as a gas gun ....

$1,000 - $1,750 for a versatile shotgun is not expensive in my opinion / but you didn't say what your buddies budget is .... Remington, Benelli, etc both offer some left handed models .....

In terms of gas operated guns - I think the Rem 1100 and the Beretta 390/391 series are very good guns. On the Inertia guns - I like Benelli.
Old August 17, 2009, 02:32 PM   #4
oneounceload

What can also work for adding weight, and what I did for my 1100 in 28 gauge is a mag cap weight from someone like Jim's Eye and Ear. I added it to make the barrel heavier to smooth my swing out,. For your friend, add the 80z there and 8oz in the buttstock and shoot the lightest loads that will operate the gun. AND get the stock to fit
Old August 17, 2009, 05:35 PM   #5
jakeg823

as a left handed shooter let me say the only time i would go out of my way to get a left handed gun is for a bolt action, or for ambidextrious safeties. honestly its not a problem to shoot left handed w/ a right handed gun, unless you have a bolt action rifle or also a righthanded only pistol grip on the gun.

my mossberg 930 spx is pretty manageable recoilwise. just added a choate machine pistol grip full stock, havent shot it w/ it yet but i've heard it gets even better w/ that. plus the 930s come in all shapes and sizes, somethin for all uses in that family of guns
Old August 17, 2009, 05:54 PM   #6
BobR

That is a shme he feels that way about the 1100's. He needs to spend the money to have it fitted to him, it will make a world of difference.

Way back when, I was shooting skeet for the Navy at North Island I invested in a pack of LH 1100's, 410, 28 and 12. After having them fit they were very soft recoiling, or seemed to be. I could shoot all day with the 410 or 28, and just about all day with the 12.

It would probably be cheaper in the long run to get it fit rather than a new gun.

bob
Old August 17, 2009, 06:20 PM   #7
dalecooper51

Spyguy - Does the stock have a recoil pad or a hard plastic butt plate? My first step would be to get it fitted and add a recoil pad if it doesnt have one. If that doesnt work, add some weight like others suggested.

Quote:
as a left handed shooter let me say the only time i would go out of my way to get a left handed gun is for a bolt action, or for ambidextrious safeties. honestly its not a problem to shoot left handed w/ a right handed gun, unless you have a bolt action rifle or also a righthanded only pistol grip on the gun.
I agree for the most part unless there is cast off in the stock for a right handed shooter. Shooting a right handed stocked gun, is frustrating at best. If the stock is cast neutral, it is not so bad. Just shot my first left handed over under last weekend and there is a world of difference when the gun fits like it should.