The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 11, 2007, 09:18 AM   #1
ActivShootr

Another hog hunting thread.

I am trying to plan a hog hunt for next year and I would like to know of some good places to go. I would prefer a guided hunt. Has anyone used a good guide service or is a guide themselves? Also, do you recomend a sidearm in addition to your primary weapon or do you prefer a handgun over a rifle or bow?
Old November 12, 2007, 02:21 PM   #2
Scorch

You are right in the middle of good hog hunting territory. About 10 years ago I spent a weekend at a lodge in TN, and was impressed with the quantity of hogs seen. I am not sure if they are still in business or not, but there were about 10 lodges within reasonable driving distance of where I was staying in Nashville. Look in the back of a F&S or OL magazine for names and locations.
Old November 13, 2007, 02:19 PM   #3
davlandrum

Activ - Are you thinking of traveling? I can give you some "feed back" on an outfit we used in Texas and were not overly happy with.

Based on that experience, I would get customer lists and do your due diligence by contacting some random names from the list. If we had done that, we would probably have chosen a different outfitter. We got all excited and in a hurry and just thought everything was going to magically work out...

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 13, 2007, 07:39 PM   #4
ammo.crafter

TN hogs...

As the others have said you're in hog heaven in Tenn.

I use a .444 Marlin with 310 gr hard cast.

I have taken hogs with my S&W 41 mag but it does take a few decent hits.

Like any other hunting, shot placement is key especially with hogs. They do tend to absord a great deal of punishment. Poorly hit ones will drop, pop back up and come at you.

Oh, they're great eating!
Old November 14, 2007, 05:29 AM   #5
bswiv

Forget the sidearm. All you need is a decent rifle or shotgun. Have hunted them on foot here in the palmettos and thick swamps of NE Florida for over 30 years. While a shotgun is effective I don't really like it as well as my old .35 Rem because of the meat damage from all the pellets.

That said we are always close, usually less than 20 yards and quite often closer. Depends on the type of land and how you are hunting. Stands and feeders and open scrub will be different and might take a different rifle with more range.

But then why bother shooting one over bait or at 200 yards when it is far more challenging, and exciting, to work up close.

And don't be overly worried about the whole "charging hog" thing. I can think of only 1 that has done so out of hundreds I have seen taken. Sure they will fight a dog if cornered but they are predisposed to flee first.
Old November 14, 2007, 08:43 AM   #6
ActivShootr

I have lived in TN all of my 26 years and have never seen a wild boar. Then again, I have not hunted east TN where I am guessing the hog population is greatest. TWRA website only shows a few small areas where there are feral hogs. I am going to have to find an outfitter as I do not know any landowners in the eastern/middle part of the state. Dav, pm me with the name of that outfitter. I will probably use my .35 rem where permitted. I know some states and areas only allow the use of shotguns. Thanks for the input and if you can recommend a guide service I would much appreciate it. I don't mind traveling out of state but I would prefer something less than a 1000 mile drive if possible.
Old November 14, 2007, 10:02 AM   #7
fisherman66

Quote:
I would prefer something less than a 1000* mile drive if possible.
*emphasis added

Typo?

I'd contact your state's wildlife dept and see what public land can offer. Hog wallows are pretty easy to spot. It looks like a bulldozer roughed up the area. If they are considered non-game or non-native (I assume they are non-game), you may have lots of options as far as baiting. We have taken several feral pigs off our deer hunting land. Be prepared to deal with ticks.
Old November 14, 2007, 10:45 AM   #8
ActivShootr

Quote:
Typo?
No. Its about 900 miles to central FL and more than that to TX.

Boar hunting seasons
FERAL BOAR HUNTING SEASONS
Feral boar are defined as being any wild hog found in Tennessee, with the exception of wild hogs on Catoosa, Cove Mountain, Foothills and South Cherokee WMAs. Those hogs are defined as wild boar, and different hunting seasons apply. Feral boar are considered to be big game, but are not required to be checked at big game checking stations. The following seasons apply to hunting feral boar in Tennessee:

PRIVATE LAND: Season is open year-round. Dogs prohibited. No limit; either sex.
*On private inholdings within South Cherokee and Catoosa WMA, the season is open during statewide deer seasons only . . . Public Hunting Areas (PHAs) are considered private land.

PUBLIC LAND: Feral boar hunting seasons are open with statewide deer hunting seasons, unless otherwise specified. Dogs prohibited. No limit; either sex.

BIG SOUTH FORK NRRA: On the Big South Fork National River & Recreation Area, a special hog hunting season is open each winter. Dogs prohibited. No limit; either sex.
2008 HUNTING SEASON: Jan. 16 - Feb. 29 (permit required)

2007 FERAL BOAR SEASONS WHERE DOG USE IS PERMITTED:
Blount, Cocke (South of I-40), Sevier: Sept. 24 - Sept. 30
Monroe, Polk (east of Hwy. 411 and north of Hwy. 64): Oct. 8 - 15
Cocke (north of I-40), Monroe and Polk (east of Hwy. 411 and north of Hwy. 64): Nov. 12 - 15 and Nov. 29 - Dec. 12

WILD BOAR HUNTING SEASONS
Wild boar are defined as any wild hog found on Catoosa WMA, Cove Mountain WMA, Foothills WMA or South Cherokee WMA.

2006 CATOOSA HUNTING SEASONS:
Oct. 14 - 16 (archery only; non-quota; dogs prohibited; no limit, either sex)
Oct. 17 - 19 (archery only; non-quota; dogs prohibited; no limit, either sex)
Oct. 20 - 22 (archery only; non-quota; dogs prohibited; no limit, either sex)
Oct. 28 - 29 (gun/archery; quota hunt; dogs prohibited; no limit, either sex)
Nov. 9 - 11 (gun/archery; quota hunt; dogs prohibited; no limit, either sex)
Nov. 16 - 18 (muzzleloader/archery; quota hunt; dogs prohibited; no limit, either sex)
Dec. 8 - 10 (gun/archery; quota hunt; dogs prohibited; no limit, either sex)
Dec. 14 - 16 (gun/archery; non-quota; dogs prohibited; no limit, either sex)
Jan. 4 - 6 (gun/archery; quota hunt; dogs prohibited; no limit, either sex)

2006 FOOTHILLS HUNTING SEASONS:
Same as statewide deer seasons, except closed during Oct. 21-22 youth hunt. Dogs prohibited.
Additional seasons:
Sept. 25 - Oct. 1 (gun/archery; non-quota; dogs permitted; no limit, either sex)
Oct. 21 - 22 (gun/archery; non-quota; dogs prohibited; one boar, either sex)
Nov. 13 - 16 (gun/archery; non-quota; dogs permitted; no limit, either sex)
Nov. 25 - 26 (gun/archery; non-quota; dogs prohibited; no limit, either sex)
Noc. 30 - Dec. 8 (gun/archery; non-quota; dogs permitted; no limit, either sex)

2006 SOUTH CHEROKEE HUNTING SEASONS:
OCOEE UNIT:
Sept. 16-24 (archery; non-quota; dogs prohibited; one boar, either sex)
Oct. 7 - 8 (youth gun/archery; non-quota; dogs prohibited; one boar, either sex; south of Ocoee River only)
Oct. 9 - 12 (gun/archery; non-quota; dogs permitted; one boar, either sex; between Ocoee and Hiwassee rivers only)
Oct. 13 - 16 (gun/archery; non-quota; dogs permitted; one boar, either sex; between Ocoee and Hiwassee rivers only)
Oct. 21 - 22 (youth gun/archery; non-quota; dogs prohibited; one boar, either sex)
Oct. 27 - 29 (muzzleloader/archery; non-quota; dogs prohibited; one boar, either sex)
Nov. 3 - 5 (gun/archery; non-quota; dogs prohibited; one boar, either sex)
Nov. 18 - 26 (gun/archery; non-quota; dogs prohibited; one boar, either sex)
Nov. 13 - 14 (gun/archery; non-quota; dogs permitted; one boar, either sex; between Ocoee and Hiwassee rivers only)
Nov. 27 - Dec. 6 (gun/archery; non-quota; dogs prohibited; one boar, either sex; south of Ocoee River only)
Nov. 30 - 13 (gun/archery; non-quota; dogs permitted; one boar, either sex; between Ocoee and Hiwassee rivers only)
TELLICO UNIT
Sept. 16 - 24 (archery; non-quota; dogs prohibited; one boar, either sex)
Sept. 29 - Oct. 1 (muzzleloader/archery; non-quota; one boar, either sex)
Oct. 5 - 6 (party dog gun/archery; one party in each area: Upper Tellico, Lower Tellico, Upper Bald River, Lower Bald River; one boar, either sex)
Oct. 9 - 12 (gun/archery; non-quota; dogs permitted; one boar, either sex; outside Tellico Bear Reserve and in party dog area only)
Oct. 13 - 16 (gun/archery; non-quota; dogs permitted; one boar, either sex; outside Tellico Bear Reserve and in party dog area only)
Oct. 20 - 22 (gun/archery; non-quota; dogs prohibited; one boar, either sex; inside Tellico Bear Reserve only)
Oct. 20 - 22 (party dog gun/archery; one party in each area: Upper Tellico, Lower Tellico, Upper Bald River, Lower Bald River; one boar, either sex)
Oct. 28 - 29 (youth gun/archery; non-quota; dogs prohibited; one boar, either sex; outside Tellico Bear Reserve only)
Nov. 13 - 14 (gun/archery; non-quota; dogs permitted; one boar, either sex; outside Tellico Bear Reserve and in party dog area only)
Nov. 18 - 26 (gun/archery; non-quota; dogs prohibited; one boar, either sex)
Nov. 30 - 13 (gun/archery; non-quota; dogs permitted; one boar, either sex; outside Tellico Bear Reserve and in party dog area only)
Dec. 15 - 17 (muzzleloader/archery; non-quota; dogs prohibited; one boar, either sex outside Tellico Bear Reserve only)
Old November 14, 2007, 10:49 AM   #9
ActivShootr

Go to www.tennessee.gov/twra/ click on hunting regulations and go to page 32 of the pdf pages to see a map of feral boar populations throughout the state. The areas are highlighted in red. The county I live in is on the western border second from the top.
Old November 14, 2007, 09:05 PM   #10
whiskey

There are lots of hogs in Georgia and Alabama. Both are closer than Florida or Texas. There are hogs in Oklahoma... There are hogs in Arkansas...

If you are looking for guide feedback, check out texasboars.com

There are guys from all the states listed above and they have a passion for hogs. I have always hunted private/public land in Florida. One word about georgia, I don't think they allow baiting. This may or may not mean much to you. I don't mind shooting pigs under a feeder. If I were paying to hunt them I may feel different. I just like to shoot them and eat them.
Old November 15, 2007, 05:07 PM   #11
davlandrum

Activ - PM sent. The hunt was just no where near as good as the website made it look. I knew better than not to check references, just got caught up in the moment. Thank goodness it was a (relatively) low-cost hog hunt and not a $5,000 pack-in elk trip of a lifetime.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 20, 2007, 06:58 AM   #12
KALI

This is one animal I would like to hunt mainly because I love pork. I have never been hunting although I have fantasized about it many times. Anyone here hunt wild pigs in Virginia?