The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 22, 1999, 12:20 AM   #1
zot

george,I read post by prichard asking about sights, I succeded tap and die for scope
mount on Mauser, now about sweat soldering?
I should take a gunsmith course but, you give
good info, I have oxy-actylene, heat tips
now how do ya do a front sight?also can heat
remove old rear sight without hurting the barrel? thanks for info:}
Old June 22, 1999, 08:29 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Zot, underneath the rear sight leaf on some Mausers I have found a little screw that needs to be removed before the sight can come off. It doesn't seem to be on all of them. For instance, I had 3 customers who had went in together and bought 1916 Spanish Short rifles from the Shotgun News. All wanted scopes and the original sights gone. 2 had the screw and one didn't. Anyway, once that's out just play the flame over the sight until you see the solder underneath begin to flow. Then drive it off. For sweating on a front sight, I clean and degrease both contact surfaces, flux sight and barrel, clamp the sight in position and coat the surrounding area with Tic's Anti-Flux (keeps solder from sticking where you don't want it). Then sweat on as if you were repairing a copper pipe. Another product that works well is Swifts' 95 solder paste. Less trouble to apply. The flux is already in the paste. You just brush it on to both surfaces, clamp and heat till it turns black around the edges. George
Old June 23, 1999, 12:46 AM   #3
zot

george your saving me money on gunsmith
classes,thanks, I did the bolt with your
scanned pics of welding and cut, I tap and died receiver, put Leupold base on, now one
more thing, have you ever put a fixed peep
sight behind rear scope base in case scope is out of use? can't use military sights so will remove, but itd be great to have the back up sights, I've seen them on custom
rifles, flip up peep, I'll try to get all
your knowledge on building Mauser sporters,
their THE rifle for the all around gun.
thanks again:}
Old June 23, 1999, 06:45 AM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Zot, I have put receiver sights on Mausers and scopes on Mausers but nobody has asked for both. It's probably doable. You may have to mill a portion of the scope base away to have enough room. I don't know who makes a flip up peep sight like that. The height of your base(s) might also come into play. George