The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 22, 2005, 06:09 AM   #1
41special

.45 Colt Jacketed Bullets???

Thanks for all the help with my sizing die issue.

Now has anyone found a source for JACKETED or SEMI-JACKETED .45 Colt bullets that are NON-HOLLOWPOINT ???????

I want some JSP loads for my M25-13, but I feel like I'm wasting good money to throw hollowpoints at paper all the time.

I've checked all the major manuf...

Is thier any 'little guys' out there making them ?

An old west lawman once said when asked why he carried a .45, "because they don't make a .46"

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal.
Old May 22, 2005, 07:16 AM   #2
.45 Vet

I don't have a current catelog, but I've loaded SPEER 300gr JSP's for hunting. I thought they had some lighter offerings. I'm basically a penny pincher and always use hard-cast lead for paper....
Old May 22, 2005, 07:34 AM   #3
41special

I looked at Speer and the 300 is all they have, I think it's a little heavy for target.

I usually don't mind using lead, I've found some nice hard cast stuff, but it's just breaks my heart shooting them in that new Smith.

I did find some Berry's Plated Bullets, and I think I'm going to try 'em

An old west lawman once said when asked why he carried a .45, "because they don't make a .46"

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal.
Old May 22, 2005, 07:35 AM   #4
HSMITH

Hopefully WESHOOT2 will stroll back by and see this. He is a walking talking encyclopedia of reloading. You could also send him an email and ask if he doesn't see it soon. I don't know of anyone else that has tried more loads than he has.

I would also put a call in to the tech department of the bullet makers, 45 bullets with the advent of the Casull and Ruger only loads has created a crop of bullets that will not work well at 45 Colt velocities. Conversely if you are shooting hot rod loads the bullets made for Colt velocities will fail miserably. Make sure the bullet you want to use is designed for the speed you will launch it at.
Old May 22, 2005, 08:38 AM   #5
Desert Dog

The Berry's plated bullets work pretty well.

I agree with others here though... I throw lead at paper.

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson
Old May 22, 2005, 11:35 AM   #6
Poygan

I agree with the folks who use lead bullets for target purposes. For years, I used jacketed bullets for general plinking and finally realized that it didn't make sense. The only jacketed or plated I use now is for a Glock. Besides, casting your own is a very interesting expansion of the shooting hobby. I cast for every handgun caliber I shoot, from 25ACP to 45 colt, plus some rifle calibers.
Old May 22, 2005, 01:49 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Sierra also makes a 300 grain soft point. If you are looking for something lighter that will still perform well on game, you might consider Hornady's 230 grain FMJ/FP ENC creation. This is basically a truncated cone design intended for the .45 ACP, but it should shoot well in the LC. It won't expand, but it will kill well, as most flat meplate bullets do on game. I bought a box of 1500 from MidSouth Shooters Supply (www.midsouthshooterssupply.com) for about $140 after shipping from TN to OH was added in.

Nick
Old May 22, 2005, 04:30 PM   #8
WESHOOT2

blushing modestly, admitting to still being on the upswing of the learning curve

Rainier may still offer their Total Copper Jacket plated 45 Colt bullet in 250 or 300g.
(Says so on their website.)

I'm sittin', I'm typin', I'm certain there's some folks who make my experience seem like a virgin's. Ay?

I use the Redding Profile Crimp die on my revolver uncannelured Rainiers; kinda heavy (never have split the plating).