The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 19, 2012, 08:49 PM   #1
relaxing

1.00+ diopter shooting / eyeprotection??? Help!

Hey, I'm 57, I know, just a kid, right??? LoL. Well I wear contacts that make me a little farsighted. For target shooting I need about +1 diopter magnification to clearly see the front sight of any of my handguns, rifles are not an issue. I have been scouring the net looking for simple protective glasswear with a 1.00 diopter increase, but its so hard to find what I am looking for. You would think they would be available with out prescription like reading glasses.

So now I have to wear slim reading glasses underneath standard protective glasses you would pick up at home depot or somewhere, kind of inconvenient.

I did find some +1 diopter safety glasses and ordered a pair but they are bi-focal, not much use.

Can anyone direct me to a company that will sell +1.00 diopter protective/shooting glasses, preferably blue filtering, or a company that can do such if I send them a prescription.

Thanks for your information and help... Scott
Old July 19, 2012, 09:29 PM   #2
hagar

If you just want +1 reading glasses, go look at Walgreens. I ordered some +1 sunglasses from India on EBay.
Old July 19, 2012, 09:36 PM   #3
relaxing

good tip, yea I'm about to that point. I am looking for something with some top "eyebrow" coverage, but think I am now just going to look for some hefty reading glasses. Funny, I was wearing some +1 reading glasses under cheap home depot 3m wraparounds the other day at the range and a HOT .45 case happend to land on top of the frame... OUCH! I was glad they had the top cover, only hurt out of the thing was singed eye brows. LoL...

I was thinking I might check biking eyeweare also.

It just seems to me you should be able to order simple safety glasses or yellow (blue omitting) glasses at a slight magnification for us older guys with out prescription... ok, rant over

Thanks!
Old July 19, 2012, 09:40 PM   #4
Creeper

Try some Optix 20/20 hydrostatic "stick-on" lenses... you can put them anywhere, on any glasses you like.
I've got two pair on some old Lehman shooting glasses. 1.75+ on top for shooting, and 2.25+ on bottom for reading. They run about $8 a pair.

Cheers,
C
Old July 19, 2012, 09:43 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

Go to Wal-Mart and try on some of their reading glasses to see what power works for you. You'll want to hold something out at the distance of the sights and then find what magnification makes the sights clear. You'll lose some clarity at distance, but that's the nature of the beast--you're going to have to trade something away once your eye can no longer accommodate enough to see things up close. And as long as the magnification level isn't too high, it probably won't be a big loss.

Write down the magnification power from the glasses that work best.

These folks sell safety glasses with various power magnifying lenses--match the power from the reading glasses that worked from your experiment and you should be good to go.

http://www.safetyglassestoday.com/ma...y-glasses.html

Another thing you can consider is getting prescription safety glasses. Because of the difference in the way glasses work vs. contacts, if your prescription is for nearsightedness, you can usually see things up close better with prescription glasses than with the same prescription in contacts once presbyopia sets in.
Old July 19, 2012, 09:48 PM   #6
relaxing

great lead Creeper, I think that's on to something. The stick-ons seem to only go down to +1.25, which I could use, but lookiing at the company, OPTX, they have many options. I think I might give them a call...

Interesting, I did get a pair of +1 reading glasses for $5 took out the lenses and cemented them to a cheap pair of shooting glasses, LoL, I think its going to work. I used silicone sealant... Ahh I love inventing.
Old July 19, 2012, 10:00 PM   #7
Creeper

Look around... Optix 20/20 is having manufacturing issues, so who ever has them in stock, that may be all there is for another month or two.

Cheers,
C
Old July 19, 2012, 10:27 PM   #8
relaxing

I found Zinni optical has some solutions. I do have to send them in a prescription but for the cost of the glasses I think it will be worth it. Polycarbonate, in a selection of sporting glasses. Cost is from $25 to $50, including lenses, pretty good.

Either that or I am going to back down my contact prescription a little. My opthamologist knows I like to shoot and is good about prescribing alternate contact prescriptions.

Damm its tough getting aged, LoL...

http://www.zennioptical.com/702412-p...l?nav_cat_id=2
Old July 19, 2012, 10:32 PM   #9
relaxing

Thanks JohnKSa, with all the posting and reading I overlooked your post till now, yes I think I ordered from them but the issue was they were bi-focal when I need single lens, guess its best to call before ordering. That does appear to be a great sight for sports eyeware though. I suppose they probably have frames you can get prescription lenses for. Yea, for pistol shooting I will defiantly sacrifice some distance sharpness to see the front sight in the groove.
Old July 19, 2012, 11:20 PM   #10
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxing
I found Zinni optical has some solutions.
Took a look at their "sports" and "goggles" listings. Very interesting styles and good prices. I like the #704015 style as they look like they might have enough room to put stick-on lenses on the bottom.

Thanks for that link relaxing.

Cheers,
C
Old July 20, 2012, 07:50 AM   #11
Doyle

Look online for woodworking supply houses. They sell safety rated glasses with low diopter ratings.
Old July 20, 2012, 10:38 AM   #12
coop2564

Relaxing...I've been looking for same 1.0 safety glasses and have not found any where the whole lense is 1.0 power, only bifocal. I called two safety glass companys and they didnt have any where whole lense is that. So I've just been using walmart reading glasses as my safety glasses, I know they are not such but only way I can see sights and target clear enough to shoot well. If you find any please pm me with details and I'll do same. I havent found any stickons under 1.25 and thats to blurry for down range for my eyes.
Old July 20, 2012, 12:17 PM   #13
Doyle

Google is your friend.

http://www.safetyglassesdirect.com/
Old July 20, 2012, 10:35 PM   #14
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I think I ordered from them but the issue was they were bi-focal when I need single lens, guess its best to call before ordering.
The link I provided is to safety glasses with "Whole Lens" magnification. They do sell the bifocal style, but that's not what I linked to.

Maybe the description is in error--might be worth a call to verify.