The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 7, 2012, 10:48 PM   #1
C0untZer0

Mindfullness of where your guns are

Here is a case where a Detroit woman shot and killed 1 of 4 home invaders, but because she had a gun in her purse, and left her purse downstairs, she inadvertantly armed the intruders:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/D...s/-/index.html

I've heard on this forum where gun owners have multiple guns stashed in different places around their home, this would also seem to highlight that as a bad tactic.
Old April 7, 2012, 11:24 PM   #2
kraigwy

All my guns are in the gun safe except for the 642 in my pocket.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 7, 2012, 11:53 PM   #3
Baba Louie

Time v. Opportunity

Quote:
...this would also seem to highlight that as a bad tactic.
Purses get grabbed. Autos get broken into, as do homes. 2 out of those 3 might not be good places to leave your firearm unattended. (OK 3 out of 3 are bad places to leave firearms unattended)

Given enough time your safe is not safe but a time delay tactic. Some bad guys might look in the kitchen pantry for valuables or hall linen closet. Maybe. Probably not much to pawn there tho'. Once they do find your gun safe (assuming you're not in the house when this occurs mind you) if they are determined enough and have some time to spare, it too, is toast.

But pros are pros, nothing is safe once they decide to gain possession.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old April 8, 2012, 11:36 PM   #4
Buzzcook

It's all about time. Or at least that's the argument for leaving guns secreted about the place. If something happens suddenly you'll always be near a gun.

Personally I think time is better saved by making it harder for people to get into ones home.
Old April 9, 2012, 10:07 AM   #5
ScotchMan

Never understood the point of stashing guns around the house. Why not just keep one on you? It will automatically be wherever you are, and not be wherever you are not.
Old April 9, 2012, 11:03 AM   #6
Neal_G.

Quote:
Never understood the point of stashing guns around the house. Why not just keep one on you? It will automatically be wherever you are, and not be wherever you are not
This. I'd rather have one gun on me, secure and easily within reach, than several un-secured guns spread throughout my place. Also, having several weapons around the house would be impossible for people with kids. I have a baby boy and am getting a small handgun safe during the summer beore he starts crawling. My handguns will be secured in the safe, or on my person.

Course if I was single, or had a 'empty nest' with my wife then it wouldn't be as big a deal to have a gun in different rooms.
Old April 9, 2012, 11:42 AM   #7
rha600

If the bad guys break in my front door (good luck breaking in the hurricane slider in the back) and go right to the cushion on the sofa and find the gun under there before I get to one of the other 2 guns I have hidden, then they deserve to be armed.
Old April 9, 2012, 11:47 AM   #8
elwaynum1

Quote:
If the bad guys break in my front door (good luck breaking in the hurricane slider in the back) and go right to the cushion on the sofa and find the gun under there before I get to one of the other 2 guns I have hidden, then they deserve to be armed.
Where exactly do you live??
Old April 9, 2012, 12:52 PM   #9
Oysterboy

I have two pistols (9mm and 40sw) and I'd like having to keep track of only one. The other one is in the locked drawer but the lock ain't pick proof. I've thought of selling the 9mm but I can't part with it.

Ever heard of anyone not wanting to part with his Sigma 9mm?
Old April 9, 2012, 02:05 PM   #10
C0untZer0

^ Cheapershooter's #1 Rule
Old April 9, 2012, 02:26 PM   #11
Grant D

I always have my LCP or a snubbie in my pocket, even doing yard work. (snakes) But I have a Walther P-38 on the side of my bed, and a single action 22 revolver in the kitchen with rat shot in it. I never leave anything in the living area by the front door.
Old April 9, 2012, 04:28 PM   #12
RBid

The PPQ is locked in a safe, and my PF-9 lives on me. It's comfortable enough to carry that it's no trouble wearing it full time.

I would never consider hiding weapons around my residence.
Old April 9, 2012, 05:42 PM   #13
Sponge14

Quote:
Never understood the point of stashing guns around the house. Why not just keep one on you? It will automatically be wherever you are, and not be wherever you are not.
2 of the many reasons I don't...
1 - If I feel that I need to be armed in my own home, I'm moving.
2 - Why do I want to have a holster on under my pajamas? That's a bit uncomfortable

I have guns stored around the house, but mainly one on the 1st floor and one on the 2nd.
Old April 9, 2012, 06:08 PM   #14
Nnobby45

Quote:
I've heard on this forum where gun owners have multiple guns stashed in different places around their home, this would also seem to highlight that as a bad tactic.
You've managed to confuse me. The woman had a spare gun that probably saved her from being murdered , after a violent assault, to eliminate her as a witness---especially if she recognized any of her attackers. How does the video "highlight" the spare gun as a bad practice? It appears to do just the opposite.

I have a spare gun on my person when carrying in public, and an appropriate number in my home at strategic places so I'm not cut off from a weapon no matter where entry is made.

Of course, ol' retired guys like me are often accused of being paranoid. Personally, I think it's just because I know I'm not invincible like I was in my whippersnapper days.
Old April 9, 2012, 11:57 PM   #15
C0untZer0

^ I think it's better to have one gun and keep it with you than to have 2 guns and give one of them to your attackers...
Old April 10, 2012, 12:17 AM   #16
Nnobby45

Quote:
I think it's better to have one gun and keep it with you than to have 2 guns and give one of them to your attackers...
Putting a gun where the location is known only to me isn't exactly giving a gun to an attacker. Of course, if you're oblivious to an intruder rumaging around your house for as long as he likes, he might find the gun.

In this woman's case, the gun in the purse was likely irrelevent. She was alone with three males with evil on their minds. Robbing her was the nicest thing they were going to do. Those who prefer the gun on their person while at home might serve as good examples for her in the future. Doubt that her neighborhood is going to get safer anytime soon.

I don't know why we need to argue about the subject, since having access to another weapon is just a matter of personal choice, dictated by our family situations. It's not appropriate to have loaded guns stashed in every household. On the other hand, a small quick access safe would make sense in most homes for guns in different loctions, or just one gun.

But not as good as the gun on your person all the time.

Last edited by Nnobby45; April 10, 2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old April 10, 2012, 06:26 AM   #17
rha600

Quote:
Where exactly do you live??
You still have to go to the correct room, with the correct sofa, to the correct cushion, and all before I grap the .357 in the night stand next to me.

Oh and also before the man eating, blood thirsty 5 pound Maltese chases you down and bites your little toe off.
Old April 10, 2012, 06:32 AM   #18
rha600

Quote:
2 of the many reasons I don't...
1 - If I feel that I need to be armed in my own home, I'm moving.
2 - Why do I want to have a holster on under my pajamas? That's a bit uncomfortable

I have guns stored around the house, but mainly one on the 1st floor and one on the 2nd.
3 - If you're married or have a "pre-wife" living with you that does not go to bed when you do, what does she do when she's sitting in the living room across the house and you are in the bedroom, sleeping, with the gun?

4 - See above for other member of the house, and again, what does she do when you leave for work in the morning and she's still in bed and you have the gun?

I guess in both of the above situations you both could be carrying (although you'd have to get her to get her permit, which trying to get a woman to do what you want is...well impossible. haha) but I think it goes back to point #1. If I feel either or both of us needed to be armed in the house, I'm moving. The weapons I have "stashed" are few and in what I consider a normal place. ie. in the night stand.
Old April 10, 2012, 09:03 AM   #19
ScotchMan

If the wife/pre-wife is concerned with being armed, she'll get a permit and have a weapon and a plan. If she isn't, no amount of me making guns available to her is going to matter. I'm responsible for me, and for others, but I'm not responsible for making others responsible for themselves.
Old April 10, 2012, 09:07 AM   #20
C0untZer0

The news report made a point of saying the home owner had a concealed weapons permit, but to the best of my knowledge, you don't need a CWP to have a firearm in your home in Michigan.
Old April 10, 2012, 09:33 AM   #21
doofus47

Don't do purse carry... please.

Czero:
Quote:
Here is a case where a Detroit woman shot and killed 1 of 4 home invaders, but because she had a gun in her purse, and left her purse downstairs, she inadvertantly armed the intruders
One time, in band camp... One of my friends was leaving my apartment after having dinner with me and a bunch of friends. She had her purse snatched while on my side walk out front as she was leaving. She chased the snatcher; I chased her; 2 other punks who were hiding in the bushes chased me. She caught him. We ended up in a 5 up street fight. She got into a tugging match over the purse. It exploded all over the street. 90 secs later after a broken bottle, a swinging belt, a lot of people watching and my crippled Nigerian roommate coming to the rescue waving his crutches, and some distant sirens, the thugs left.
She told me later that her dad gave her a pistol to carry in her purse... If that had been in there when that purse dumped all over the street, I don't think that even the younger, faster me would have ever beaten 3 punks to it.

If it's not on you; it's not in your control. my 2c.
Old April 10, 2012, 10:46 AM   #22
kraigwy

As to guns scattered all over the house.

It's quite comforting to know when my grandkids bring their buddies to Grandpa's house, that try as they may, they can't get into my gun safe.

Young children do have a tendency to get into and find things they shouldn't.

It's a great fear of mind that some child would be injured because he found one of my guns I thought was hidden.

As to home invasions: It seems that one will never know what he/she is doing or where he is when some bandit kicks in the door. Are you setting on the couch watching TV, are you in the kitchen making a sandwich, are you setting at the desk doing taxes????

Just how many guns do you need to scatter about the house to be prepared????

I think one, that being in my pocket. If I'm in the shower my pants are hanging on a peg next to the towels, if I'm napping, my pants are on the bedpost.

As to "If I have to carry around the house I'd move";

That's living in dream land. Where are you going to move where there isn't any home invasions?????

I'm an old dude, lots of old people scattered across the country. Old dudes (including me) seem to have meds so they can get older. Dopers know old people have meds, dopers kick in doors to find meds.

My daughter lives in a gated community. She's not old, but she's listed as a doctor. Granted she's a chiropractor and chiropractors don't normally keep meds but dopers don't know that, Dopers assume Doctors have meds.

I live in a rural area, pretty safe, doubt anyone is going to kick in my door, but there is still times I'm glad I carry constantly, I've whacked rattlers under my steps, I've whacked coyotes trying to eat my chickens, I've shot dogs chasing my horses.

We do have an honor farm not too far from here. Sometimes they get "walk a ways". If one comes to my house, they are going to find all my guns in a gun safe that I doubt they are smart enough to get into.

Still my biggest fear is some child finding one of my guns and getting hurt.

No sir, no guns scattered about my place. If nothing else, it makes me feel better, that alone is well worth the price of the safe.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 10, 2012, 12:32 PM   #23
ScotchMan

Well said, kraigwy
Old April 10, 2012, 01:17 PM   #24
FireForged

My housegun and my ccw are normally in the same room, side by side. Anything else in stored in the safe. Every doorway into my home has a glass and bar outter door and hardwood inner door. I feel confident that is someone is trying to get in and they will get it, I have time enough to get the housegun and plant myself for defense.

I am not one of these people who have guns in the cabinets, under the sink in each bathroom and hidden in light fixtures. If ninjas suddenly appear, I gu ess I am doomed.

I dont really follow the idea that a safe is not a safe... A safe is a safe, no matter if someone can eventually get into it or not. Its all about time, and good security is built upon layers. Good exterior doors and frames, alarm, dogs, nosey neighbors, good lighting and lights on timers, cameras and signage, car in the driveway and alert occupants. Its all about making the next house look easier than yours. That may sound rude but thats how it is.

Last edited by FireForged; April 10, 2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old April 10, 2012, 01:43 PM   #25
Oysterboy

LOL, not rude at all.