The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 20, 2008, 09:55 PM   #1
bclark1

FN SCAR Light: Commercial Semi-Autos Shipping November

So I got an answer to my own question from the other thread about confirming the SCAR's commercial release. Got to shoot a good portion of FNH's current product line, including the 3d gen SCAR light & heavy, and my only major disappointment is that "we" can't own the select-fire models. Awesome rifles. I didn't think the heavy was any worse than a short-barreled M1A in terms of recoil, although I didn't get to put much through it, and I've also never fired an M1A fast enough to even remotely compare to full-auto.

Spoke to Rick DeMilt, SVP sales & marketing, to ask him afterwards. He said FNH is all caught up with military orders. The SCAR Light (5.56) semi-auto commercial rifles should start shipping in November, and we might even see them in stores by the end of the year, or the start of next year (around when the ACR should hit shelves, too). I asked if he could divulge the MSRP - he said it would be expensive, "around $2500," but was quick to point out that a number of items that are usually aftermarket - such as the nice stock - would be on the package, standard. So hopefully all we'll need to add is an optic and it'll be ready to roll. I'll be pennypinching.
Old September 21, 2008, 04:29 AM   #2
BrunoNorway

Have fun with the SCAR and Masada over ther. Wish i lived in America.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES
Old September 21, 2008, 07:31 AM   #3
ShipWreck

Could U come post that at the FN Forum? www.fnforum.net

At our Q&A sessions with an FN Employee (Ken Flood), he stated this:

Quote:
7. Is it true that the SCAR lite has NOT yet been approved by the BATF, and thus its release to the public could be very delayed?
Not true, we are expecting a small amount of semi-auto SCAR Lights late this year.
But the $ amount is new info to us.
Old September 21, 2008, 04:40 PM   #4
bclark1

Registered over there, will get it up - you're welcome to repost though, I'm just a scrub who happened to make it to a demo so I need no kudos

One of the points Mr. DeMilt hit on repeatedly when he was talking to attendees was that FNH is trying to distinguish themselves from competitors by rapidly bringing their latest military technology to the commercial market. So hopefully we'll still keep seeing cool toys from them in the years to come.
Old January 7, 2009, 01:59 PM   #5
bclark1

Updating this thread, my local gun shop got their first one this week - SCAR 16S, the 16" semi-auto 5.56x45. Price I was quoted by Rick was $2,500, it appears the "official" MSRP is $2,696.56. Guys at the gun shop said they're not terribly impressed given the price tag, doesn't seem much different from any other semi-auto piston AR. I expected to pay for some cool factor, the provided BUIS would run over $200, and the stock alone would probably be a $400 aftermarket item, as the closest comparison I can see would be a sidefolder Magpul PRS, so I can see how you'd hit $2,000. $3,000 was the number I was told by my gun store - getting steep but I was still hoping. Now they won't quote a price. However, there are a few up on Gunbroker, and they're fielding well over $6,000 with time left on the auction. Big, big bummer. Guess I'll have to wait this one out and hope I can get one at a fair price sometime this decade.
Old January 7, 2009, 02:42 PM   #6
Tucker 1371

I personally like the Masada/ACR a lot better, never fired one but it looks a lot easier to handle than the SCAR models. And according to both the Bushmaster and Magpul websites the Masada/ACR is supposed to be available by "first quarter 2009".... which means sometime before May. According to a G&A article on the Masada about a year ago the MSRP is supposed to be a HELL of a lot cheaper than the SCAR, around $1400. Not sure if that's still the case but I sure hope so.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old January 7, 2009, 03:52 PM   #7
Bartholomew Roberts

The ACR is unlikely to see civilian release in 2009. Right now Bushmaster doesn't even have a production version. They are holding off on finalizing the design so that it can compete in the M4 replacement trials if the Army wants to make changes. No production version until after the M4 trials means no production line to produce civilian rifles - and if the ACR does win, it will be even longer until there is surplus production capacity.

I'd also be shocked to see it sell for less than $1600 given the success of current models at much higher prices.

Having said that, I am not the least bit interested in SCAR or ACR at $2000+
Old January 8, 2009, 11:03 AM   #8
coolhandluke4

hey, my local gunshop got a scar in, and he put it on gunbroker. He ended the auction for a local seller who offered $4200 yesterday. This morning there's one on gunbroker that the bid is $8025 with two days left. I wouldn't pay over $1500 for it, reminds me of a Glock rifle, all plastic looking
Old January 8, 2009, 11:42 AM   #9
Willie D

It would be interesting to learn how much they cost to make. I'd wager that once the factory is up and running, all that tupperware saves FN a heck of a lot of money. Manufacturing probably costs half of what it does for the FAL or FNC.

Tags
fabrique nationale , fnh , heavy , light , scar