The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 12, 2004, 02:15 PM   #1
SteveSteven

Help identifing old shotgun

I am trying to restore an old family heirloom shotgun, it has no makers name on it. The only name is "Standard" in Olde English script on the LH side, it is a single barrel break action gun probably made by Crescent or H&R or one of the early companies. It was probably made between 1900 to 1920, it has patent dates of Dec 18,91; Aug 11,96; Aug 14,00; May 27,02 . that is all of the writing on it. It has a serial number on the lug, it is about 4700 or so, don't have it here with me.

I am looking for imformation as to what was in the circular opening on the right side, about 0.80 inches in diameter, about 1/8 inch deep, with a 1/4 inch through hole into the center of the reciever centered on the .8" hole. If I can find out what was there, I can try to make it. It appears to have been a retainer for the hinge pin, since it intercepts the edge of the pin.

Can anyone help?

Just found my photobucket file only produces a very small image, go to here:
http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/.../RightSide.jpg
to get a full size picture.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg th_RightSide.jpg (2.1 KB, 30 views)
Old July 14, 2004, 06:03 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

I have seen those shotguns, long time back, and as you describe, I believe it is a retainer pin. If my memory serves there is either threads near the top of the hole recess or a slot for a notch to secure the pin in place. By rotating clockwise releases the pin for removal.

HJN
Old July 14, 2004, 11:50 AM   #3
SteveSteven

Thanks, Harley for your reply. I had tried to thread the hole 1/4-28 for a plug, but there wasen't enough metal to hold the thread. I am now making a plug threaded 5/16-32, that will thread in. I think I will make a projecting thin piece to get ahold of to remove it. Your comment about a slot is interesting, I can see how that might be done also. Wish I had a photo of an origional to look at.
Steve