The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 19, 2011, 08:11 AM   #1
Darth Kur

Cobray extended mags for M-11/9mm

I have 3 extended zytel mags for the M-11 in 9mm. All three have the Cobray symbol located at the bottom on the right side. The problem is that on the left side, on top, as seen in the pictures below, there is extra material, in comparison to the 10 round mag that came with the gun, that is interfering with the full insertion into my CM-11 carbine, stamped FMJ, Ducktown, TN. Where these style mags made to be unusable in the guns made during the AWB nonsense or are they some different variety for another manufacturer? I've looked all over both yesterday and this morning, though a multitude of sites and can find no reference to these particular magazines. Every picture I have found of the 32 round mags for the M-11 do not exhibit the odd feature on the left side as mine do. Anybody on here have any idea?
I'm thinking of taking a belt sander to the unwanted areas and get them down to the proper shape.

Old August 20, 2011, 02:02 AM   #2
ogree

Don't know if that was intentional on the manufacturers part but I would not do any grinding on the mag in that area, the Zytel mags are not the strongest to begin with and removing material in that area will weaken the feed lips.

A possible solution would be to open up the mag well area inside the receiver where the pistol grip meets the frame.
It's difficult to guess on this being the problem cause you don't have any pictures posted of the inside of the frame.
By looking at the short mag I get the impression that the opening is smaller in size on the frame and that is what will not allow the 32 rd. mags to be inserted far enough to lock in place.

If that is the case, it can be remedied by machining open that area.
If you don't have access to a mill then a file would also work as well with some care.

Hope this helps.
Old August 20, 2011, 09:37 AM   #3
Darth Kur

Thank you, Ogree, for your reply. I removed to main retaining pin and separated the upper and lower and discovered that the 32 rd mags will insert properly this way. It only when assembled that they will not. Although the gun will come back together with the large capacity mag inserted there is far too much strain placed upon the mag release catch. So the problem is that it's connecting with something in the upper receiver that's inhibiting it's use. So lining things up I discovered the culprit. As seen below the added material inhibits the clip being fully seated into the small opening in the upper receiver. I'd say that sounds like a deliberate act of "sabotage". You can even see the faint line of the normal pattern on the clip where the extra material is added on top. Too hard to photograph unfortunately. I really don't see any alternative but to attempt to remove the extra, unwanted excess. Removing that much more from the upper receiver is not a real option.

32 round mag.

10 round mag

Thanks again,Ogree. Out of three separate forums you're the only person that responded.
Old August 20, 2011, 03:54 PM   #4
ogree

If you check around at some local machine shops, you should be able to find one that can open up that upper receiver for you.
It might cost you $20 or $30 to have someone throw it on the mill and cut open the port.
Take the mag with you and explain the problem, just make sure they are careful when they clamp the receiver in the vise as to not crush it.

Hell, if you were local I could have it done in about 20 minutes.
If you can't find someone to do it locally let me know, cover the shipping and I'll do it.
Old August 22, 2011, 01:04 PM   #5
Darth Kur

I'll look into it, Ogree. Thanks again. Would be nice to finally be able to use these mags.