The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 24, 2010, 12:12 PM   #1
WE0H

Iver Johnson Target Mod 55 what year made???

I bought a Iver Johnson Target Mod 55 a couple weeks ago. This revolver will be a shooter for me. The partial serial number is C19xxx. It has a 6" round barrel, non-fluted cylinder, fixed sights with a V-groove rear & Owl grips with a little nick in them

Does someone make a wooden grip for this or someone know where I can buy a flawless factory grip? Otherwise I am going to fill in the nick with clear epoxy and shape it to the factory contour so the nick can't get worse.

Can someone tell me what year this revolver was made in? From what I found online it appears to be .22 long rifle. There is no stamping as to what calibre it is, ie 22 long, 22 short, 22 long rifle. To be safe, is this modern ammo capable?

When I bought the revolver, it was rusted here & there on the outside of the barrel. After the rust removal last night it left some pitting but not too bad. I am thinking of putting a grey Parkerized finish on it. There is only a tiny bit of bluing on the trigger guard. The timing appears to be fine, there is a little wear where the sear rides on the back of the cylinder, but the lockup is pretty tight. I doubt I could find a new or less used cylinder so I will just deal with this one and keep it well lubed so it doesn't wear anymore.

Right now I have the gun sitting with the grips removed & the gun completely soaked in oil so it doesn't rust until I can get the metal finishing materials ordered. This is my 4th C&R gun ever. I used to have a C&R license but let it expire a couple years ago. I need to reapply.

tnx,
Mike
Old May 24, 2010, 03:03 PM   #2
PetahW

IIRC, those revolvers were made between 1955 & 1984, and so should be safe with modern .22LR ammo (shorts & longs are OK too), provided that the gun is otherwise safe to shoot - i.e., in time, and w/o defects.

Numrich Arms has the walnut grips.

http://gunpartscorp.com/gander/produ...%20Description

Last edited by PetahW; May 24, 2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old May 24, 2010, 03:14 PM   #3
WE0H

The Sidewinder grips are the same as the Mod 55 grips?

Mike
Old May 24, 2010, 06:36 PM   #4
PetahW

Item ID: 436960B
IVER JOHNSON - 50 SIDEWINDER, 55A TARGET, 55SA CADET 56A STARTER, 57A TARGET
Grip, Two Piece, Small, Walnut
Old May 24, 2010, 06:38 PM   #5
WE0H

Excellent, thank you

Mike