The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 7, 2018, 10:56 AM   #1
markr6754

Frankford Arsenal Rotary Tumber Acting Up

Gents...my FART is acting up. This is my first cleaning attempt since this thread ran it's course. Since there are dozens of FART users on this forum I thought I'd tap into your collective brain for help.

My tumbler just sits atop the machine without spinning at all. When the motor starts there is an initial movement on the drum....but only about 1/2 inch...then the drive wheels just spin happily under the tumbler.

I've tried my usual 500-600 9mm case load, as well as half that, and nothing makes a difference. I've apparently lost all friction from the loaded drum. In previous runs, a bit of water from the drum onto the drive wheel would cause some visible slipping, but the drum would still rotate pretty well. I would just run a shop towel over the drive wheel until in was dry and the drum would happily run for hours, or as long as I allowed it. Now, nothing. Even giving it a boost by hand produces no result.

To get through the project this weekend I added rubber bands onto the drive wheels to complete my tumbling, but this requires constant monitoring as the action heats the rubber bands, producing breaks, or the band creeps off the drive wheel and onto the shaft. It's a jury rig at best, and, I have better things to do on reloading days than to watch a tumbler spin.
Old September 7, 2018, 11:04 AM   #2
Ben Dover

Perhaps a bit of rosin???

Or even better, a Thumler's tumbler

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old September 7, 2018, 01:23 PM   #3
markr6754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Dover View Post
Perhaps a bit of rosin???

Or even better, a Thumler's tumbler
The rosin is worth a try. I don't have any...other than violin bow rosin.

I believe that I have a Thumler's Tumbler buried in my garage. I thought of using it...but gave up after a fruitless search. Declutter time? May be worth another search just for emergency backup purposes.
Old September 7, 2018, 01:31 PM   #4
Nick_C_S

I've never heard of such a thing. I've had my FART about five years now and it functions flawlessly.

Just so I understand:

You turn it on, and the drive (front) wheels turn, but the drum doesn't?

How 'bout the idler wheels? Do they spin freely?
Old September 7, 2018, 01:49 PM   #5
markr6754

Nick - exactly that. All wheels spin freely...the front drive wheels are obviously geared, but the backs are free turning. I keep both in the original box, clean and dry after each use, so it was quite the surprise when suddenly it wasn't working. Snap on a rubber band, and it turns until the rubber band snaps, but that's not ideal. Small load, large load, doesn't matter. The wheels are no different than when I first opened it, as is the drum. Lots of knobby nubs on the drum. I can push the drum to manually turn it, and it turns in my hand freely...but the drive wheels are just spinning right under it.

I've ordered a bicycle innertube that will fit the 7" circumference of the drive wheels...just another jury rig...and I've sent a message to Frankford Arsenal for ideas. I'll test my innertube idea this weekend. Again, a workaround, not a solution. This unit is just 7 months old...I shouldn't be kluging it this early.
Old September 7, 2018, 02:02 PM   #6
hounddawg

this is just weird, been using mine for about 18 months give or take and can see no reason why the drum would not turn if the front drives wheels do. I was going to suggest the bicycle inner tubes but sinc you have already thought of that I will link to two other ideas

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Plasti-Dip-...oating/3543512

paint some on of this on or

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SKID-GUARD-...p-Tape/3183197
Old September 7, 2018, 02:50 PM   #7
Metal god

I quick look at mine and test and surprisingly it does not take much to stop the drum from turning and the wheels just spin away underneath . I really don't know what's wrong but first would ask if all the wheels spin in balance , meaning spin with out moving up and down on each rotation . Then maybe check if the rubber drive wheels have gotten harder causing less friction transferred to the drum .

That's just a guess though . Before I'd add something sticky to the wheels that will transfer to the drum . I'd first degrease the wheels then the drum where it contacts the wheels . Then check if the drum still has the grip texture that contacts the wheels . If all that's gtg and it still does not spin I'd rough up the drive wheels with some sandpaper . Scuffing the wheels crossways rather then around the wheel to create more friction between the wheels and the drum .

I'd like to think you're just putting to much in and it weighs to much but I've put quite a bit of weight in mine and it's always worked .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old September 7, 2018, 05:20 PM   #8
hounddawg

I just went in and messed around with mine and I don't think it is weight, When I pressed down on the drum it seemed to grip the rollers even heavier. You could hear the motor beginning to strain.

I think MetalGod nailed it, something is making the rollers or the drum slippery
Old September 7, 2018, 05:24 PM   #9
Ben Dover

Your violin rosin should work!

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old September 7, 2018, 05:31 PM   #10
jag2

Two things you might try. Get a cotton pad or something similar and dunk it in alcohol (IPA) then hold it against the wheels while running. That would help remove any glaze on the wheels. Also could try some fine sand paper to roughen up the surface of the rubber.
Old September 7, 2018, 08:20 PM   #11
markr6754

I’m wondering how old my unit might be...never thought to look before...I bought it in February from Amazon.

All along I wondered how the drum would turn, as the drive (and support) wheels appear to be hard plastic, and not a hard rubber as I’d expect...or even a semi-hard rubber. But, until this weekend it never failed.

I do need to get after it with a good alcohol bath, as the first stupid thing I tried was duct tape. Yep...worked like a dream, until 15 minutes of rotation completely melted the gum off the tape, smearing it all over the drive wheels and also the drum. I cleaned it off, but even that little bit of stickiness served more like a lubricant than a friction inducer. After cleaning that crap off I decided to try the rubber bands. That worked, it I quickly learned that small and thin, no matter how many are used, does more bad than good...they stretch, they melt, the break...don’t get one caught between the drive wheel and the drive shaft.

Finished the project with the short, wide bands I found throughout my gallon jar of rubber bands. That’s what induced me to to consider a wide rubber band, ie. a tire inner tube. This is just a stop gap measure, as I prefer the raw, naked drive wheel on the bare naked drum...nothing to break, melt, or stretch. It does sound like I need Frankford Arsenal to respond to this. Meanwhile, alcohol wipes to the garage. My submarine sonar experience proved that alcohol and rubber is a bad combination. It hardens rubber, then makes it brittle. But I don’t have a better solution at this point...well, I may try old fashioned soap and water first.
Old September 7, 2018, 08:49 PM   #12
hounddawg

I'd just hit em with some 60 grit, a little texture can't hurt
Old September 8, 2018, 12:46 AM   #13
Metal god

Quote:
wheels appear to be hard plastic, and not a hard rubber as I’d expect...or even a semi-hard rubber.
My wheels are defiantly a hard rubber and not a simple plastic . Very different feel then the drum or lid materials .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old September 8, 2018, 01:11 AM   #14
markr6754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal god View Post
My wheels are defiantly a hard rubber and not a simple plastic . Very different feel then the drum or lid materials .
Yes...definitely hard rubber. I’m mistaken. I used some Dawn on a soft kitchen scrubber my sister crocheted. Gave the rollers a complete scrubbing/cleaning. They have a very different look and feel now. I’ll scrub the roller section of the drum next to ensure nothing is preventing a good grab by the drive wheels. Before cleaning they had a sheen to them, appearing like hard plastic. After scrubbing, they are a dull black, and definitely a bit softer surface. I’m encouraged. I’m standing by with the inner tube until testing is completed with a cleaned and full drum.

Appreciate all the suggestions. For now I don’t want to do anything that voids my 1 year warranty. No sand paper, nothing permanent. Still no response from BTI.
Old September 8, 2018, 11:27 PM   #15
draggon

Haven't had a problem with my FART but had this problem almost from new with a smaller rotary tumbler I bought off eBay.

It is one of those clear acrylic drum units with variable speed adjustment and uses a belt to drive one of the rollers.

Problem was lack of friction between the driven roller and the hard plastic rim of the drum.

Rosin fixed it but I need to use it each time.
Old September 8, 2018, 11:58 PM   #16
markr6754

My Goodyear 1.75” x 29” inner tube arrived yesterday. I had already cleaned the drive wheels with Dawn and a kitchen scrubby. Clean, and without a doubt rubber suitable for driving a rotating drum. Nonetheless, I scrubbed the drive surface of the drum today, then cut roughly two 1 1/2” sections from the inner tube. The material is quite good, but much smaller than anticipated. Since it’s an inner tube, I was confident that I could stretch the section to fit over the drive wheels. I did just that! It was more challenging than planned...but it also grips the drive wheel like a second skin...well, a very tight second skin.

I put it right to use, and it works like a charm. I don’t care if Frankford Arsenal ever responds to my cry for help. This was the perfect solution. I imagine this will be a multi-year solution... if not, I have 26” of inner tube remaining. I drove a full drum for nearly three hours without a hiccup. The brass looks amazing, and the “solution” didn’t move a millimeter from where it was positioned. Works for me.
Old September 9, 2018, 06:24 AM   #17
jpx2rk

How did you attach the inner tube material to the drum or drive wheels??
Old September 9, 2018, 07:25 AM   #18
hounddawg

good news. I will remember this if mine ever acts up. Some advice that is a bit late but soaking the bands in boilng hot water would have made installation a bit easier
Old September 9, 2018, 08:23 AM   #19
markr6754

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpx2rk View Post
How did you attach the inner tube material to the drum or drive wheels??
Purely friction. I stretched the slice of inner tube over the drive wheel. It took some effort...I hadn’t thought of hounddawg’s hot water trick. That, and the outer diameter of the drive wheel is 2.228”, while the inner diameter of the inner tube is about 1.5”. The stretchy rubber band is hugging that drive wheel like a python. I did not make any changes to the drum.
Old September 9, 2018, 12:32 PM   #20
Metal god

I think the big question is if cleaning the wheels and the drum alone solved the problem . Did you test it before installing the inner tube material ?

As hounddawg points out , good fix idea and glad I have it in my back pocket if need be .

TKS

Old September 9, 2018, 01:09 PM   #21
markr6754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal god View Post
I think the big question is if cleaning the wheels and the drum alone solved the problem . Did you test it before installing the inner tube material ?

As hounddawg points out , good fix idea and glad I have it in my back pocket if need be .

TKS
I’m very confident that it would have fixed the problem...the drive wheels were quite tacky at that point...not gummy, but definitely softer. However, I didn’t test them. I saw the tube sitting there, it, alone provided a new challenge. I also considered that it provided a level of protection to the drive wheels, so they may last considerably longer. I wanted to test to see whether the tube would stay in place, or work its way off the way the rubber bands and the duct tape kluges did. Nope...they never budged. I’m totally satisfied with the “solution”, and will leave it in place. And as I said...I have another 26 inches to work with in the future.
Old September 9, 2018, 03:38 PM   #22
jpx2rk

Thanks for the info.
Old September 10, 2018, 09:00 PM   #23
markr6754

Pics of the experiment. Better than 1K words, as they say.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Drum on.jpg (218.3 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Closeup Wheel.jpg (188.4 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg FART and Tube.jpg (203.4 KB, 90 views)
Old September 29, 2018, 01:04 PM   #24
Win52D

I have a new FART that has been used once and worked perfectly. When I tried it this morning it started slipping. Make sure that the drum and drive wheels are bone dry. Once I dried them off it worked fine. I did clean the wheels with IPA just to make sure they are clean. Just to be on the safe side I ordered an inner tube . Thanks for the info!
Old September 30, 2018, 06:12 AM   #25
jpx2rk

I used mine the other day and had some soapy water mix on outside of the drum and ended up on the drive wheels. Dried it all off, and worked fine again as well.

Tags
fart , rotary tumbler , wet cleaning