The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 30, 2005, 07:18 PM   #51
Remington kid

Kevin, Can't believe they never tought you to duck at the acadamy
Just kidding, Hope your nose is alright.
I don't like wonder lube or any grease on the powder side. It definatly contaminates the powder and more of it than some people think. Been there , done that. Useing a little grease over the wad may be alright to help clean the bore or keep it loose as the powder follows. I can shoot 4 cylinders without wipeing the cylinder pin. One thing you guys want to do is chamfer the cylinder pin holes of your cylinders. You can't hurt it because the pin goes all the way through.It will help because it will allow you to get a little grease in the ends.
I thought that 777 was almost none existent of crude or fouling ? I really don't know the chemical reaction of that stuff to different grease but maybe try some plane old dish soap. Just take a good dab of dish soap right out of the bottle and smear it on your pin and the face of the cylinder.If it works then you can make some moose milk to lube with. Let me know if it works and I'll give you the recipe for moose milk if you want it. Mike
Old October 30, 2005, 10:07 PM   #52
MPP1423

Well Ducking Is A Good Idea If You See It Coming.lol.it Was A Free For All.i Think His Elbow Got Me During The Scuffle.but Like I Said He Got His Too!!! Lol. The 77 Isnt That Bad But I Think My 58 Just Needs Some Tlc.
Old October 31, 2005, 05:11 AM   #53
Low Key

The 777 does produce fouling, just not as much as the other subs and it cleans easier, I started using it when I got back into BP pistol shooting a few months ago because of the supposed increase in power. When I first started out with BP shooting I grabbed a can of pyrodex pellets for the pistol for ease of loading and let me tell you it FOULS the works up quick and doesn't wash as easy as the 777. With the 777 I can shoot 9 or 10 shots before the cylinder will start to bind up, but the pyrodex pellets would start the cylinder binding at the 3rd or 4th shot. From what I've learned from you I know that I need to slick up the works on my pistol to make it run better.

I had also wondered about maybe there being a chemical reaction between the 777 and my lube. I know that petrolium based lubes react with BP to produce more fouling but I've never heard whether the 777 reacts with them that way also. The dish soap idea sounds interesting, I'll probably give it a try. I'm hoping to have time to fire a few rounds one evening this week.
Still trying to post my pic, but its still a no go. Gonna monkey with some computer guts and see if the problem is on my end...
(rip...tear..."ouch")
Old October 31, 2005, 06:01 AM   #54
Low Key

I hate those didn't see it coming elbow in the nose incidents...makes me angry, guy who elbowed me wouldn't like me when I'm angry

(OK, I'm showing my age and my strange sense of humor with that refenence, LMAO)

Seriously though, I hope your nose feels better. A busted nose isn't the worst thing in the world, but they sure hurt!
Old October 31, 2005, 07:23 AM   #55
Remington kid

Low Key, Tell me what happens when you try to load a picture? What message do you get? What size are the pictures your trying to load and how you are doing it? Maybe I can help you "get er done"
Old October 31, 2005, 08:50 AM   #56
Low Key

I get a message that says "cannot move/copy file" , the file I am trying to load is a jpeg of about 105Kb, I have been trying to use the manage attachments box down below the reply to thread box. I used it once before to post a pic before the forum crashed, but this is the first try since. I posted a thread in the questions/tech support forum and someone else posted a reply saying they were having the same problem so I think it may be on TFL's end. Any ideas of what else I could try???
Old October 31, 2005, 09:34 AM   #57
Low Key

hmmmm.....just tried to upload a pic from work and still no dice. So it's probably not on my end of the connection. oh well, I'll wait it out till it works again
Old October 31, 2005, 12:42 PM   #58
MLKeith

If those of you that have tried 777 are impressed you should try either Goex Pinnacle or the absolutely cleanest Black Mag'3 powders. These last two powders are ascorbic acid based and as such are not corrosive to steel. They will however attack brass if left too long. These powders (especially Black Mag'3) are so clean in my muzzleloader that after several shots (three or four) a patch run down the barrel will come out with a small amount of gray dust on it. I have not tried it in my original Remington 1858 or my Ruger Old Army as yet but the cowboy action shooters in this area are really getting on the Black Mag'3 bandwagon. It is difficult to find as yet as it comes out of Florida and is more available in the east. Midsouth Shooters Supply has it in stock as well as most Cabelas. (It is pricey).
Old October 31, 2005, 01:48 PM   #59
Remington kid

MLKeith, You have just stated what I have read about the Goex Pinncal but I never even heard of the Black mag powder. Who makes that Black Mag?
Around here it's even hard to find the 777 and it's been out a while.
Read a nice write up on the Goex Pinnical , it had nothing but good stuff to say about it. It's my understanding that you use the Pinnical by thesame volume as the Goex fffg.
It seems that allot of people are switching to the syn. powders.It just don't seem natural to me But I am going to try a few just to see what it's all about. Going to miss the smell of that old sulfer and salt peter Mike
Old October 31, 2005, 01:56 PM   #60
Remington kid

Gonna try to upload a pic.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old October 31, 2005, 02:00 PM   #61
MPP1423

i have heard of the black magic,but your right its high dollar.the artical i read on this stuff says if it gets wet it will dry and still shoot.i may end up giving it a try.

mike,
my nose is better.lol.nothin broke but man it hurt.but thats ok cause little buddy went to general hospital before booking.lol.ya fight the pol ice ya bound to get hurt.lol.
Old October 31, 2005, 02:01 PM   #62
MPP1423

oh dude!!! thats cool!have you got one yet?i have tried bear years ago and it was ok but it seemed a little stringy.i'd love to go bear hunting.
Old October 31, 2005, 02:02 PM   #63
Remington kid

Low Key, I store my pictures in a site called "Photo Bucket". If I want to post a pic I go there first and click on the ( IMG) that I want to load and select "copy" . Then I come here and click the little picure above the post and then paste the (IMG) address and it loads the picture when I select Submit Reply. Mike
Old October 31, 2005, 02:03 PM   #64
MPP1423

hey mike by the way did you ever check on those grips i told ya about?
Old October 31, 2005, 02:14 PM   #65
Remington kid

Kevin, Im in the woods from June until the bow season opens here in mid Oct. playing with the Bear as my wife say's. That has netted me about 500 pics of Bear and many close calls.Had one try to pull me out of my tree stand a few years ago and had many charge me with teeth clacking and blowing air(Wooof sounds) at me. The pic above is a sow with 3 cubs. They are nothing to mess with and can kill a man very quickly. 9 people have been attacked by black bear this year and 6 of them are dead.
Got two here in WV and 4 in Canada over the years. It's not easy when you can't bate them here in WV. I only hunt Bear with a Long Bow and Deer with Bow and Remington during gun season.
Shot a 300 lb. Bear about a week ago but we never did find it. It was a perfect hit with nothing but the fletching showing but it ran in mountain laurel so thick you can't get through it. It rained for 3 days straight and we never did find it. Searched for days with nothing. I have no doubt that it's dead and the other critters will get a good meal before winter. Sure hate to loose one or any critter like that but it happens even with gun hunters.
Didn't mean to get off subject here:
I have to try some of this powder soon, if I can find any!, Mike
Old October 31, 2005, 02:17 PM   #66
Remington kid

Kevin, I did check on the grips but I can't get ahold of that guy. They keep saying his site is down. I did find some "old looking ivory" but they are about $50.00. Mike
Old October 31, 2005, 02:55 PM   #67
MPP1423

yea,there is something wrong with the site but here is his name and #,DON HOLMAN 509-782-3018.COOL GUY TO DEAL WITH AND I LOVE HIS GRIPS.IM GOING TO GET ANOTHER SET FOR MY RUGER WHICH SHOULD BE HERE TODAY.I HAVE TO DRIVE ABOUT 4 HRS AWAY TO EAST TN TO HUNT BEAR AND BOAR WHICH I HAVE NEVER DONE EITHER.THE BOAR HUNT IS COMING!I HAVE WANTED TO DO THAT FOR YEARS.YOU RECKON YOU COULD TAKE ONE (BOAR)WITH A BP PISTOL?THAT WOULD BE COOL.
Old October 31, 2005, 03:44 PM   #68
Remington kid

Kevin, I'll give him a call and see if he can send me some pics. I can't aford anything right now but maybe by the end of this month. It's hell to be on a budget
Lot's of Bear and bore in the south part of your state too. My brother is haveing a house built right on the N. Carolina border but in Tenn.He will be moving up from Florida when he retires in a few months.
You should have no problem taking a Bore with the Remington and no problem at all with your new cannon, Just be ready to run fast and climb trees like a monkey when your charged
Old October 31, 2005, 05:35 PM   #69
Remington kid

One thing I wanted to mention to you guy's is that less grease may help you also. Found out years ago that more grease just catches more powder residue and that just makes the grease stiffer. I like to just use a dab on my finger on the cylinder pin and face of the cylinder. Then I place a light smear on the star end of the cylinder and on the inside of the frame. Seems to run much smoother to me then when I used a gob of grease on everything. Mike
PS If any of you like moose milk you can try it. Works great as grease and on cleaning patches:
1/3 water
1/3 machinest oil (The only oil that will mix with water)
1/3 dish soap
This stuff turns white and looks like dirty milk.It will slick up anything and clean it up too!
Old October 31, 2005, 06:52 PM   #70
Remington kid

Two of Low Key's Remingtons:"Nothings sooths the savage soul like shooting a C & B 1858 .44 Remington" Except maybe shooting two of them like Low Key, Lol.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old October 31, 2005, 08:09 PM   #71
MPP1423

Well,if I Can Find My Camera In All Of My Hunting Gear I'll Post Pic's Of My Rem's And My New Ruger.i Got My Ruger Today And It Nice.i Cant Wait To Get In The Woods With It.
Old November 1, 2005, 04:54 AM   #72
MPP1423

Low Key,
I Noticed That Your Cylinders Dont Have The Rotating Marks On The Sides,are These New Or What Do You Do To Keep This From Happening Cause All Three Of Mine Have Them.
Old November 1, 2005, 05:54 AM   #73
Low Key

No rotation marks on the cylinders

The cylinders in both guns in those pics are 4 year old cylinders that I bought with my first 58, there are some rotating marks, but they are very slight and don't show up in the pictures. You got me to thinking and I was watching what happens when my gun indexes the cylinder, as I first start to cock the hammer the cylinder stop drops into the frame so there is no contact with the cylinder, it stays there until JUST before the hammer hits full cock and then pops back up to lock the cylinder in place.

I use the safety notches between the nipples to rest the hammer on when I carry so I can carry the full six and I am always very careful when I lower the hammer into the notches.
Old November 1, 2005, 07:29 AM   #74
Remington kid

Kevin, That book will tell you how to adjust that. It's not hard to do but it would take me a while to tell you how to do it here.The modern revolvers have the same problems if they are not adjusted just right.
Old November 1, 2005, 07:33 AM   #75
Remington kid

Low Key, Did the one with the adjustable sights come with the target barrel also? They sure look good side by side like that. Loaded and ready for someone to "make there day"
Did you get the picture posting worked out? How do these look on your end? , Mike