The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 27, 2005, 07:38 PM   #26
ryucasta

When I was looking to buy progressive presses the Hornady LNL did make the short list but what convinced me to buy Dillon at that time (1999) was that Hornandy did not make a case feeder for the LNL press while Dillon did for the 650 and 1050.

Raul

Scarface/Tony Montana Says:

Send me here. Send me there. This. That. Nothing you can do to me Harry, Castro didn’t do --- nothing...
Old February 27, 2005, 10:34 PM   #27
klw

Progressives

For more years than I can now remember I collected reloading presses. Not single station machines but Potters, Hollywood turrets, Jordans and progressives. Though not always successful I tried seriously using them all.

Probably had three dozen progressives. Never bought a Dillon 1050 or 650 but I had all the rest including a RL 1000. Think that I had serial number 5 Hornady. They gave me that machine.

Eventually someone offered to buy all my machines at a price I could not turn down so I sold them.

Personally I think that the finest machine ever made was the Star. Work of art. WAY to overbuilt but, well, they would work without problems for 50+ years.

Of the current crew, at least the ones you mentioned, I'd pick the RCBS Pro 2000. I've got two. I've also got two Piggyback III's. The first two RCBS Piggyback really suc@ed but not the III and IV. In my opinion the RCBS strip primer system is the best primer system ever BY FAR.

Dillon are certainly ok machines but I think the current RCBS machines are better. Lee's and Hornady are interesting but, well, I don't miss mine.
Old March 20, 2005, 10:28 PM   #28
jwrig

Dillon Experience

Have used other machines from time to time, but have owned the Dillons since 1988. I started with a 550, because of my friends' recommendations. They felt, to a person, that the volume of reloading I wanted to do, this was the machine to buy. Had great luck with it. I used it for over 5 or 6 years. The only issues I had were priming (my inattention to proper adjustment). They overhauled it for me every year or so at no charge.

After one of my sons started shooting (along with my wife and me), the need for speed escalated and I opted for a 650. The casefeeder and another station to add the powder charge check was enough to warrant the extra dollars.

After the other son started shooting and the rest of us started shooting more USPSA and 3 Gun, I switched to a 1050. Cranking the rounds out now, right? Caliber change was more of a chore than the 650 and since we all shot 3 or 4 pistol calibers and 1 rifle caliber......another 1050. Spitting out ammo left and right. The quantity needs were being met. Oops, we started shooting 308. Sooo, we bought another 550 with a friend to load that caliber.

In summary, I can't speak for the other loaders except what my Dad and friends have told me about their experience (sometimes good, sometimes bad). ALL loaders have parts that wear, get screwed up or get lost. Dillon, in 17 years, has never charged me for parts, my screwup or theirs. They have walked me through, over the phone, a number of times on things that the instructions didn't fully explain.

My Dad still uses his single stage. He thinks that all the therapeutic value of reloading is lost once you get over 100 rounds per hour (or so he says). My therapy comes from blasting away, not having a Zen experience on the reloader.

My vote is Dillon, if you can.
Old March 25, 2005, 12:05 PM   #29
rbucket_1

my 2 cents

They are all good, some with better percs. If you were to look in my basement you would find, Lyman, Lee's, Mec's, RCBS, Hornady and a Dillon. I have two old, 20+ Lee progressives that I leave setup in 357 & 9mm. I would hate to guess how many rounds have been accross either. Never had to replace a part on either one. If you were in a race, I believe a Lee would outdistance my Dillon 550 especially if you had someone filling primer trays, casing feeder and powder hoper. I believe the Dillon 650 is faster but have no personel experience. I like the die change out speed on the Dillon as I use it for 40, 45ACP and 45LC however for about the same price as the equipment needed to change cals you could buy a Lee and just leave it set up. By the way I haven't mentioned my Hornady yet. It too is a fine piece of progressive machinery built like a tank as is the Dillon.

I guess if I had to worry about down time I would say Dillon has the best and fastest Warrenty Service and it is NO BS.

Last off I do not worry about speed, and I think too many people worry about speed or reaching the rate the manufacture prints on a piece of paper. I find it much more enjoyable and safer to just plug along looking in the cases after they come through the powder station, and generally checking "things" as I go. When I went from single stage to progressive for hand gun cals. 20 something years ago, not too long into it I had a squib load in 9mm. Luckily I caught it when it happened and didn't follow it with another round. That taught me a lesson to slow down and do a visual on all powder charges on all presses that don't have powder checkers.

Good luck in your quest for a loader. Don't worry, no matter what you get someone will tell you you should have got something else. lol