The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 8, 2001, 04:07 AM   #1
notbubba

Who makes the best hunting boots?

Need to be waterproof.

Can be worn in the fall for upland hunting but warm enough for snow.

What do you recomend?
Old September 13, 2001, 09:50 AM   #2
Bottom Gun

I have a couple pair of Danner boots. They are excellent boots and you don't have to worry about breaking them in.
Old September 14, 2001, 01:02 AM   #3
SDforce

Another vote for Danner. Waterproof, comfortable... and insulation if you want it.
Old September 14, 2001, 10:09 AM   #4
Marshal

It's like a pistol; get whatever fits you best. Here's the lecture I give my Boy Scouts. I'm a backpacker, and I learned (the hard way) to try on as many different boots as possible. You have to walk around the store for a considerable time to really tell if they fit. Jump up and down. Look for good ankle support and plenty of room in the toe box. Wear thick socks for try-ons. Forget breaking-in to make them fit; if they don't fit at the store, they won't fit out in the bush.

Don't look just at hunting boots. Try an outdoor sports vendor like REI. They'll have lots of different boots, many of which have Goretex linings. They'll also have footbeds and socks.

Try thin synthetic liner socks under your regular socks. They reduce the chafing that causes blisters on long walks, and wick sweat away from your skin and into your outer sock, where it can evaporate, keeping your feet drier. Our retired Marine Scoutmaster uses ladie's knee high hose for the purpose. They are cheap and don't weigh much or take up room in your pack.

The current issue of Backpacker magazine has a review of boots under $100. Most have Goretex.

My own boots are Zamberlans, with Superfeet bedliners. But that's because they fit me the best, and they weren't too expensive. Many of my aquaintances swear by Danner, or Asolo, or several other good brands.

Goretex linings are terrific, but be aware that they can reduce the breathability of the boot to some extent, so you have to adjust for it with socks. Avoid cotton socks at all costs. They chafe, hold moisture, and don't dry out very well in the field. Blister city. Use wool or wool-syntheic blend socks.
Old September 15, 2001, 08:32 PM   #5
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

Danner likewise for me; however, some of my friends swear by their Rockey Boots. A shop in my local area has the lowest price by $30.00 or more on anyone I have seen and they only charge $3.00 shipping! http://www.flatwoodsoutfitters.com/

MOLON LABE !

I’m a G-CODE holster fan !
www.range5.com
Old September 16, 2001, 12:20 AM   #6
Cain R

Another vote for Danner!
Old September 16, 2001, 07:21 PM   #7
Redneck2

This is gonna be the "voice from a different country". I live in northern Indiana where we may hunt in 50 degrees or 15 below. I have 2 pairs of Rockies (at maybe $100 each) that are gathering dust. I end up doing like the redneck hillbillies (oops, maybe I is one) and wear Northerner type rubber insulated boots.

If you hunt in mud, the cleats on the Rockies fill up and weigh a ton. If it's hot I wear one pair of cotton sox...if it's colder I substitute wool and make it two pairs. If it's really cold you can put in the super insulated sole liners or even the disposable heat liners if your on a stand and it's super cold.

They're taller than Rockies so your feet aren't as likely to get wet if you go thru water and they're very light. Also way, way cheaper. Actually the ones that I use the most are labeled "Ducks Unlimited"....got them at Wal-Mart for $22 about 8 years ago.
Old September 19, 2001, 01:01 PM   #8
Doug 29

DANNERS! For a reason! Most of the guys in the Army buy them with their own money. THEY HOLD UP!
Old September 19, 2001, 01:03 PM   #9
corsair

Marshal pretty much summed up what needs to be said. Outdoor recreation is about trail and error. Working in the outdoor industry, Americans in general, tend to be gadget and answer oriented. The best boots are the ones that fit, not the one with the best reputation or the one that has the best marketing. On average it takes me at least three months of trying on and driving around to find a pair that will work for my feet. Before I climbed Denali, it took me six months to find the right plastic boots that fit and felt comfortable.

As far as reputable brands go there are several I can name off. Keep in mind that some companies fit better for high-volume and some low-volume feet. Everyone is different. Take a look at La Sportiva, Garmont, Vasque, Montrail, Boreal, Lowa, Zamberlan and Danner. Cabella's also has a wide range of hunting specific boots. All of the listed companies have an assortment of footwear that can fit your purposes. My favorite is La Sportiva's Makalu, but, thats my feet. Remember, just because it doesn't say "Hunting Boot" does not mean it can't be used for it.

One last advice. For fitting, put the boot on with the socks you plan on using. Don't lace them up, get your toes all the way up front until your toes are touching the end. There should be ONE finger width distance from your heel to the rear of the boot, measuring from the inside. Second lace them up, walk around. Walk down a step incline, 30-45 degrees. YOUR TOES SHOULD NOT SLIDE FOWARD AND TOUCH THE END. If they do, change socks (Smartwool recomended), change footbeds (Superfeet highly recomended), or change sizes. All else fails, change boots.
Old September 24, 2001, 05:44 AM   #10
house

Danner Boots come first,I also have a pair of IRISHSetter Boots there also preaty good. Look into both. Prices on irishsetter are preaty good for a good quality boot.
Old September 24, 2001, 12:02 PM   #11
johnAK

how's about original US GI boots?
Old September 26, 2001, 04:50 PM   #12
Correia

I wish that I could try boots on before I buy them. Unfortunatly I have size 15 feet. I have never in my life been able to try on a pair of hiking/hunting boots before purchasing them. I'm limited to catalogs. Size 15 is not a common stocking item.

And I still haven't found a comfortable pair. My feet are long, skinny, and very very flat. I'm afraid that I'm pretty much out of luck. I even bought a pair of Matterhorn ranger boots thinking that perhaps $ would equal comfy, but no.
Old September 28, 2001, 12:08 PM   #13
TK

Correia,
Your almost in the Northwest, surely you must of heard of Whites boot company [URL=http://www.whitesboots.com/]

They will make their boots to order for any size and shape of foot, though they are rather expensive.

I wore a couple pair of smoke jumpers for years in the Idaho backcountry, alternating pairs each day. They were just the ticket for rough, rocky terrain and un-predictable weather.

Best part is they can be re-built as needed at a nominal cost.

Tough boots!
Old September 28, 2001, 03:11 PM   #14
ATTICUS

My feet are 12 A's and have zero arch. Ive have several pairs of Rocky Boots (12D cornstalkers and Pac boots) and like them a lot. I've also got a pair of Redhead steel toe workboots that I wear rabbit hunting, and they are remarkably comfortable. I've always heard good things about Danners, but they are a little pricey for my needs.
Old September 28, 2001, 10:57 PM   #15
C.R.Sam

Nuther vote for wearin KneeHighs. Adds insulation with adding bulk. Sometimes I find em at three for a buck. Really great with all wool socks.

Sam
Old October 2, 2001, 04:20 PM   #16
Correia

Thanks TK, I just sent off for a catalog. I have to have the biggest and flattest feet known to man.
Old October 2, 2001, 04:42 PM   #17
Quartus

Oh, so YOU'RE the guy causing all those bigfoot legends!

There's a recent thread here whereing many swear by their Redwing boots. Haven't tried em. I've been happy with Cabela's brand, but then, I have rather small feet at 10 1/2 EEE

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...threadid=78842

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.
Old October 3, 2001, 08:09 PM   #18
maxwayne

I got a pair of Cabellas kangaroo insulated boots last year and they are first rate. I also have a pair of Rocky's that are good, but not as light as the Cabellas. I just retired a pair of Brownings after almost 25 years and they were good, but just wore out and have patches on top of patches.