The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 20, 2017, 03:43 PM   #1
chaim

Placed my order for a S&W M&P40c- ammo, holster and sights

So, I had decided a little while ago that once some of my guns on consignment were sold I'd get the M&P40c. Then I decided that I'd probably buy Memorial Day weekend (figuring on sales) whether I had consignment money yet or not. Well, Buds had the M&P40c with magazine safety (yuck, but for the price I'll live with it) for $345 cash price this weekend and I had to jump on it.

Now what?

In the past when I've had .40S&W handguns, I've preferred 180gr ammo for both range and defense use. Has anyone who has a M&P Compact noticed any ammo preferences? Does it prefer heavier or lighter bullet weights? If not, I'll probably stick with 180gr rounds for both range and CCW. Even so, that doesn't narrow it down much, so the search for defensive ammo in another caliber begins (much has changed in ammo since I last had a working .40S&W). I'll look at the usual suspects based on what I like in other calibers (Gold Dot, Critical Defense, PDX1), any other suggestions?

2 of my 3 carry guns (other than revolvers) have night sights. Should I add them to this one? I'm thinking I may, but not right away. I'm not sure if they are really needed in the low (not no) light situations I'll likely need them. So, I may wait and save the money if I decide they aren't really needed.

Most of my carry guns have hybrid holsters that I carry IWB (often with just a tucked shirt). I like the way most 2 point hybrids space the weight of the gun. However, MD is not a carry state (CCW exists but is impossible for most of us to get). So, my preferred holster style is terrific when I'm out of state for a few days and I can get set up in the hotel room or in my camper or tent. However, it isn't so good for most of my out of state trips which are just day trips. Transport in MD must be: the gun in the trunk or a locked box, gun unloaded, and ammo kept separate (as in ammo in the passenger compartment while the gun is in the trunk, or a locked box if you have a hatchback or SUV). I could put the holster on in MD and keep the gun separate, but I prefer to keep the gun and holster together and simply put both on (and remove them) together after I cross state lines. So, ease of use and being able to quickly, easily and discreetly put on or remove the gun/holster is important. All of mine that I regularly use have a hook of one type or another instead of loops. I do have an IWB hybrid with one instead of two hooks and it is a little easier than the others to put on and take off discreetly. This is a small and light gun so a single hook should be enough to comfortably support the gun on a good gun belt. I have been considering something with loops with snaps instead in order to keep two fasten points instead of one for balance, but in the hope that the dual snaps may be easier than the dual hooks. Even though I strongly prefer IWB I've also been considering an OWB paddle holster. It would make for easy on and off, and with the short barrel of the M&P Compact it still would be reasonably easy to conceal. Though, that would require a cover garment instead of tucking my shirt around it as I can with a tuckable IWB (no problem in winter, but not so great in the summer unless I want to look messier and change up my usual look and go with an untucked shirt). I prefer leather to kydex, but find that hybrids work well for me. Any suggestions? What are your preferences (with either a M&P Compact or something similar in size)?

Last edited by chaim; May 20, 2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old May 20, 2017, 03:48 PM   #2
Rule3

If you live in Maryland and do not have a CCW, how do you carry in other States?
Old May 20, 2017, 03:50 PM   #3
chaim

My UT non-resident permit is good in most of the US. I'll soon add a NH non-resident permit so I can carry in PA again (a few years ago they dropped the non-resident UT permit and only accept resident permits from most states, but they still allow the NH non-resident permit).