The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 20, 2017, 06:26 AM   #1
OhioGuy

Walther PPQ 5" vs. Q5 Match

Does anyone know the actual (like, "real world") differences between the 5" PPQ M2 and the Q5 model?

They're the same basic gun, but the Q5 adds the cuts in the slide and a "quick defense trigger," which is bright blue (and that's kinda cool I guess).

The barrel isn't ported, so apart from reducing the weight a bit, I'm not sure what the cuts accomplish other than cosmetics. I suppose they might allow one to add an aftermarket ported barrel, but I've not found porting to really change the feel of recoil much on a 9mm anyways...if at all.

The trigger is advertised as being better for competition, but the specs on the Walther page list the same travel and weight on both models. Blue is cool and all, but is it actually different?

Trying to figure out whether the Q5 actually brings anything to the party that justifies the extra cost.

Anyone know?
Old May 20, 2017, 07:42 AM   #2
Areoflyer09

The big difference I've found is the slide being prepped for optics. The Q5 has a couple of extra holes to lighten it compared to the 5". My LGS had one and in dry fires I couldn't feel a major difference in the trigger. Maybe a little smoother, but it could easily be mistaken for just the difference from gun to gun. Hard to make the PPQ trigger better.

If you are thinking competition the Q5 is probably worth the cost for the easy ability to add a red dot. For anything else, is buy the 5" standard PPQ.
Old May 20, 2017, 08:10 AM   #3
wild cat mccane

No trigger difference. Just the optic mount system and more cuts on slide.
Old May 20, 2017, 10:12 AM   #4
mrdaputer

OhioGuy As stated Optic ready slide, Fiber optic red front sight also. The only difference in the triggers is the Q5 trigger bar has a 'blue' coating to reduce friction. If you plan on using a red dot then go for the Q5
Old May 24, 2017, 08:37 AM   #5
OhioGuy

I think I am leaning toward the Q5. I've shot a number of long barrel guns now and I think I'm down to the PPQ or Glock 34 models. In each case I have the option of optics-ready or not. Springfield makes some nice offerings at better prices, but they just didn't fit me as well.

I really like the Walther. Everything about it is sweet. But I can't argue with the Glock and I know there's a huge aftermarket for it, where Walther is almost niche by comparison. But then, on the Glock I know I'd upgrade the sights and trigger to make it more like the Walther, so really the Glock is the more expensive gun.

I honestly don't know whether I will want to use a red dot on it. Probably better to pony up for the option so I don't get stuck later.

I read somewhere that the Q5 comes with three magazine--anyone know if this is accurate? Does it include anything else like a holster?

Has anyone here shot the G34 and the PPQ 5" or Q5 for a direct comparison?
Old May 26, 2017, 06:14 AM   #6
mrdaputer

But I can't argue with the Glock and I know there's a huge aftermarket for it

I was wondering what you are referring to? Maybe the glock trigger but no need to replace the Q5. Yes the Q5 comes with 3 mags. No holster I am not a big fan of those cheap holsters that come with guns. I say go shoot them both and you will fall in love with the PPQ trigger.
Old May 28, 2017, 07:49 AM   #7
wild cat mccane

Apex trigger for PPQ:
https://store.apextactical.com/WebDi...?categoryId=55

Dawson sights:
https://dawsonprecision.com/sights/walther-sights/
Old May 29, 2017, 11:23 AM   #8
OhioGuy

I guess I was thinking of upgrading the Glock's trigger and sights. Agree that neither is necessary with the Q5. The sights *may* need an upgrade for the regular PPQ since they're polymer 3-dots, but they aren't especially hateful (I personally dislike the "Glock notch" rear sight and would change it out).

I just saw that Walther will start running $100 rebates on all their PPQs except (of course ) the Q5. That makes it more appealing to get the 5" PPQ and upgrade the sights. I don't know that I'll ever want to use a red dot on the gun and I can probably paint the trigger blue by myself
Old May 29, 2017, 11:25 AM   #9
TunnelRat

^ when do those rebates start?
Maintain situational awareness
Old May 29, 2017, 12:27 PM   #10
OhioGuy

The thing I saw on another forum said June 1 - Sept 15 of this year. $100 rebate from Walther. The post had a picture taken from a magazine insert with a link to the rebate site, but it isn't active yet.

I also saw it at Cabela's the other day--$100 from Walther and $50 from Cabelas, although their prices are high to start with. The rebate said it's good on any PPQ besides the .22 and the Q5, "purchased new at retail."

https://www.njgunforums.com/forum/in...pq-pps-series/

Last edited by OhioGuy; May 29, 2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old May 29, 2017, 06:23 PM   #11
TunnelRat

Thank you! I've been considering getting a PPQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk