The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 30, 2013, 05:37 PM   #1
Whoddi

Savage Enfield or Not ?

Greeting. I am hoping one of you experts can clarify an Issue. Are there any Savage Enfields that do not have the S stamped before the NO4 MKI* ? I have what appears to be a Savage that belongs to my uncle. I have attached pictures of my Uncles and mine for comparison. My uncles doesn't appear to be scrubbed or if so they done a damn fine job.

Any assistance/comments appreciated.

If you notice the one with the missing S looks like a sketchy stamp job. Also on the receiver just before the US PROPERTY there appears to be an oval with an arrow inside of it. There is a small 27 stamped on the stock as well just below the pistol grip portion of the stock.

Thanks in Advance

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-Uncle Savage.jpg (101.7 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg mini-Uncle ser #.jpg (143.1 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg mini-My Savage.jpg (148.5 KB, 78 views)
Old December 30, 2013, 06:58 PM   #2
Tidewater_Kid

Just my opinion, but I believe it to be of Savage manufacture. I own a Savage made in 1941 and the S mark is marked by the model number. The fact that this one is marked on the wrist, would indicate that it is of Savage heritage.

TK
Old December 30, 2013, 08:43 PM   #3
xring3

I agree with Tidewater
Old December 30, 2013, 10:00 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

That serial number is Savage; the C stands for Chicopee (Savage was located at Chicopee Falls, MA).

Jim
Old December 30, 2013, 10:02 PM   #5
tahunua001

well I can think of two ways to check. is it a true MK1*? the * indicates the slitted bolt face removal rather than springloaded release at the rear. if its in the front then it's a MK1* and either has to be longbranch or savage.

longbranches are so marked so the savage would be the only real option.
Old December 31, 2013, 12:56 AM   #6
gyvel

As Jim K said, it's a Savage. The "C" does, in fact, refer to the location of the Savage plant, Chicopee Falls. The squared "S" is also a Savage marking.

You actual production number is 449,736.
Old December 31, 2013, 08:22 AM   #7
wogpotter

Look at the shape of the receiver where the left side wall transitions to the "flat" just at the woodwork junction.
If the transition is a diagonal flat its not a Savage as they had a different profile at that point using a small diameter radius.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old December 31, 2013, 11:51 PM   #8
Whoddi

I think I understand where you are talking about so I compared it to my actual savage and it looks identical. There is a small diameter radius present. The rest of the weapon has the S in various spots. On the right side of the receiver just below the sight there is the smallest import mark I have ever seen. It is 1/4"X3/8" and says

Made is USA
Cal 303
Colswan VT Or CDI Swan VT (really hard to tell)

Thank you for all your input it is appreciated.

While I am at it my Savage does not have a year stamped can you tell by serial#? It is 70C9831 and only has a B stamped below it nothing else.

Regards
Tim
Old January 1, 2014, 02:05 PM   #9
Whoddi

Also he is looking to sell and was wondering what an approx. value would be. It does have a Bushnell Stalker scope with a B Square Mount. I am just looking for a starting point he can go with. I bought mine for $295 a few years back and it is in good shape. His rifle is in just as good shape. Bolt S# matches rifle, Mag has no S# stamped.

I realize there are many variables when it comes to value but I don't want him to get screwed as he is in need of the money. I would buy it but I already bought his Quality Hardware M1 Carbine . I have attached a picture of the rifle and one stamp found on the stock.

Thanks in advance.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-Uncle Enfield.jpg (73.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg mini-Under stock front of mag well.jpg (127.0 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Whoddi; January 1, 2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old January 1, 2014, 03:21 PM   #10
tahunua001

if that mount is drilled and tapped into place which it looks like it is, then it's a $125 rifle. if it is reversable probably $200 even.
Old January 1, 2014, 04:47 PM   #11
wogpotter

B-Square is NDNT so it won't effect value much. If he has the original rear-sight, pivot pin & pivot pin cross pin (so it can be returned 100% to MilSpec, then that would add $50~75 to the asking price.

Savages are not "rare", or "collectable". In fact they were far & away the most common of the No4Mk1*'s made. Savage made more No4 Mk1*'s than all other factories combined.

If it had been a No4 Mk1 (no *) then it is rarer as they didn't make that many before switching over.

I'd not go a pile of money just because the B-Square is ok, but not great & likewise the Bushnell. I'd guess, not having seen it, or checked anything on it about $350 in today's whacky marketplace.

Old January 2, 2014, 01:31 PM   #12
RC20

Quote:
I think I understand where you are talking about so I compared it to my actual savage and it looks identical. There is a small diameter radius present. The rest of the weapon has the S in various spots. On the right side of the receiver just below the sight there is the smallest import mark I have ever seen. It is 1/4"X3/8" and says

Made is USA
Cal 303
Colswan VT Or CDI Swan VT (really hard to tell)

Thank you for all your input it is appreciated.
That mark is CDI for Classic Distributors Inc Swan Vermont. Reputable importers and they put the tiniest and be legal mark on the guns they could.
Old January 2, 2014, 06:01 PM   #13
Whoddi

Thank you all for the reply's. Some outstanding information.

No there was no drilling involved, however I do not believe he has the original sight.

Tim
Old January 3, 2014, 08:31 AM   #14
wogpotter

OK no biggie if you're looking for a scoped shooter, but it might effect value by $25~50 if he doesn't.
Incidentally the B-Square sight allows the use of the original sight's battle sight so it may be in there under the mount & rings.

Old January 4, 2014, 08:06 AM   #15
gyvel

Quote:
Savages are not "rare", or "collectable". In fact they were far & away the most common of the No4Mk1*'s made. Savage made more No4 Mk1*'s than all other factories combined.
While close to 1,500,000 Savage No. 4s were produced, many, sadly, are at the bottom of the Atlantic.

So, I have to disagree with your statement; Savages are very collectible and tend to bring more $$ than the multitude of British produced guns. Long Branch guns tend to bring in the second highest $$, at least here in the U.S.
Old January 4, 2014, 12:58 PM   #16
tahunua001

at least for my geographic area I have to agree with gyvel. my brother and I were lucky enough to find a honeyhole of old C&Rs. most were in a big stack of parts. I found myself a complete and numbers matching savage. my brother found a barreled long branch action. he built himself a sporterized model with a ramline stock, basically from scratch and I almost succeeded in doing the same with a T receiver.

i normally see at least 2 enfields in any gun shop I go into and there are at least half to a full dozen at any given gun show I go to. I have yet to lay eyes on another T, Savage, or Longbranch.
Old January 4, 2014, 02:26 PM   #17
wogpotter

Maybe its geographical. Round here I'd say the ratio was close to 2 Savages for one of anything else. The vast majority of them having been in South African service as well.

Old January 5, 2014, 03:02 AM   #18
gyvel

I've only ever had one South African gun with the 'U" mark in my collection and that was a Fazakerly gun.