The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 21, 2014, 08:37 PM   #226
DT Guy

Instead of a grip safety, call it a 'reverse HK squeeze cocker' and charge $1800 for it; they won't be able to keep them on shelves.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old January 21, 2014, 08:52 PM   #227
Fishbed77

chris in va,

The Joker called. He wants his gun back.
Old January 21, 2014, 09:16 PM   #228
Sweet Shooter

Beautiful. Stunning. I want one. I was totally almost going PPKS, now I'm all like going R51.
-SS-
Old January 22, 2014, 01:25 AM   #229
stormyone

This handgun makes me throw up a little bit in my mouth. It might be a nicely made and perfect operating handgun... I'm talking purely on looks.
Old January 22, 2014, 02:16 AM   #230
jimbob86

Quote:
Exactly.

We're so used to guns looking like a variation of a 1911 or Glock. This type of barrel system could revolutionize handguns if proven reliable.

I submit this design for thinking 'out of the box'.

It's an Olympic target free pistol. Nobody makes fun of this design, why can't....
"Specialization is for insects", and THAT is one. ugly. bug!

There, I made fun of it.

I am a fan of "Practical" (IPSC is so NOT practical!)...... "Free Pistols" ? Nonesuch, in Reality. "Free Pistols" are are "IPSC Spaceguns" on 100 years of steroids.

I go back to The Good Colonel's Question: "What is it FOR?"

In this Age of Information, the Answer is still the same: "To SELL, of course!", but nowadays, the buyer is so much better informed ....... the Market is, and has always been, the final arbiter on what remains on the market ..... if the R51 can live up to it's Press ..... they won't be able to make enough of them for YEARS.
Old January 23, 2014, 12:02 PM   #231
gyvel

I freely admit that I have neither handled nor shot one of these, only seen pictures of it.

BUT: I stand by my original statement that the lack of a manual safety would concern me (YMMV). Since this a SAO gun, it tells me that there is, much like the early 51s, an internal hammer that must be cocked when the chamber is loaded. That means that the only thing between you and disaster is a grip safety, albeit a hellish one from what I have read.

Also, while this probably has no bearing on this particular gun, the original 51s had what I consider a major flaw in that the breech block was a delicate part, especially in the back portion of it where the roller is located.

Last edited by gyvel; January 23, 2014 at 10:06 PM.