The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 9, 2013, 05:56 PM   #51
Psychedelic Bang

I don't know if the Brand X name has held up like Colt. Really, I see no problem with spending 2k on a custom single action Colt, but omg is a brand X da 357 really worth near a $1,000?

With modern manufacturing, products move constantly toward a place where they are less expensive.

I really disbelieve the brand x revolvers made in 2013, have been worth their asking price.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Taurus bashing was somebody's need to rationalize the cost of paying for brand x.

I'm not saying that brand x is Smith Wesson, I'm saying brand x is brand x and folk can make their own judgment
Old December 9, 2013, 10:22 PM   #52
shootniron

Never had a Taurus semi auto, but I have bought 2 new Taurus revolvers in the last 4yrs and my experience with them has been such that I have spent the last dime on this brand that I ever will.

The second time was the charm, I have had my bait of them.

BTW, one was for me and the other was a gift.
Old December 9, 2013, 11:14 PM   #53
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I think this is important to note: There is no gun manufacturer right now, that I am aware of, that is making so many different style and choice and options of double action revolver.
S&W offers about 111 different models in their DA revolver line. Pages 32-35 of the Taurus 2013 Full Line catalog indicate that they sell about 77 different DA revolver models.
Old December 9, 2013, 11:25 PM   #54
Psychedelic Bang

Quote:
S&W offers about 111 different models in their DA revolver line. Pages 32-35 of the Taurus 2013 Full Line catalog indicate that they sell about 77 different DA revolver models.
Ok, no prob. :-) that is cool. I can accept it. I was mostly, "guest-a-mating." I'm glad you cleared it all up.

Cheers
Old December 12, 2013, 07:52 PM   #55
Sulaco

I wish I had a Turus success story but I don't. The only ones I've owned or know others to own had very bad problems. This included both old revolvers and newer semi-autos. It's too bad because I wouldn't mind trying out one or two of the current ones.

OP, that is a nice looking snubby. I'd keep it.
Old December 14, 2013, 02:55 AM   #56
hornetguy

My brother in law and I both bought 4" stainless .357's.... model 66? at the same time. I think my sis in law still has hers. Mine shot very nicely, single action was great, double action was pretty dang good. I had to move the rear sight all the way over to the left to hit center target, however. I finally noticed the barrel wasn't clocked with the frame correctly. Not a huge deal, but it made sight adjustment a little tedious. I finally ended up trading it off for something else that "spoke" to me... I think the only problem I had was an occasional light primer strike when firing rapid double action. I'm sure it could have been fixed with a Wolf spring. All in all, it was a nice revolver.
I bought my wife a model 85 probably 20 years ago, and we still have it. It is a pure joy to shoot.
I also have a 24/7 Pro in .45 ACP. I've probably put only 500-600 rounds through it so far, but it's been flawless. Nice trigger pull, double strike capability, and accurate. I shot my CHL qualifying course with it, and the only thing that kept me from probably shooting a hundred percent was my inability to focus on the sights well enough for the 25yd targets. It's tough getting old....
Our son bought his wife a Judge last year, because that's what she asked for. I figured I'd go shoot it just so I could pooh-pooh it on the interweb. After shooting it, I found I had no basis for pooh, much less pooh-pooh. It was amazingly easy to shoot, and printed some pretty impressive patterns on a paper target at about 7-10yds.

success stories? I guess those count. Oh, and I don't think there's any way I could qualify as a "newbie" when I bought those guns. I think I'd been heavy into guns for about 15 years or so when I bought the model 66.
Old December 14, 2013, 12:30 PM   #57
treg

My Taurus M605 served well for over 5 years of rough duty carry and high volume pracice. When I damaged it, Taurus fixed it on their dime and in a timely manner.

I had a PT99, then a PT101 for a period of time. Both were accurate and reliable and leave behind a good dose of sellers remorse.

Taurus bashing does have a plus in that it keeps prices reasonable for those who understand the principles at play.
Old December 21, 2013, 10:27 PM   #58
DannyB1954

I have 2 Taurus revolvers one is a 9 shot .22lr, the other a 5 shot 44Mag.
No problems with either of them. My Buddy has a PT145 that has never missed a lick.

I had a Beretta Nano, (one of the first series), that I hate. I sent it back to the factory, they replaced a bunch of stuff in it, but I think I lack forgiveness. it is for sale.

I have a Walther P22 that is a jamomatic. It is getting better, but I don't see why a gun has to have a 500 rounds run through it to "break it in".

I think like other companies that manufacture a couple of dozen designs in several locations, there will be lemons.
Old December 22, 2013, 01:18 AM   #59
mordis

I honestly would by Tuarus products if it weren't for there QC. Some of there concepts and designs were and are really appealing to me. They feel so good in my hand, yet I know, they Tuarus so they cant be trusted.

My first personally owned Auto was a pt945. With each firing of the gun the base plate of all the magazines would fall off.. This was back before internet in my area* only crap dialup and you couldn't order offline then*

Left a poor taste in my mouth..
Old December 23, 2013, 03:51 PM   #60
Inspector3711

I picked up a Taurus PT-145 Millenium Pro a few years ago. I've probably run 500 rounds of 45 acp through that little plastic cheapo pistol. Never had a jam yet and it's very accurate.