The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 2, 2012, 12:10 PM   #26
Crankgrinder

You short stroke any revolver, and the majority of semi autos the gun wont fire theve all got a restet that has to be met for it to work, and if you think that because your gun hasnt had one hiccup in x # of rounds that it cant happen the first time right when you need it most guess what youre setting yourself up for. Ive heard mixed reviews on that lcr. Realy like the revolver still holding on buying one but its like one already posted. Sell it at a loss because it needed repair and the problem went away? thats silly to me but its your $ your concience and your security.
Old December 2, 2012, 12:17 PM   #27
fdreano

A) Ruger says right in the manual that dry firing the weapon is perfectly all right but they warn you to remove the flat plastic yellow shipping disc that comes inside the gun out-of-the-box.

B) Ruger says in the manual that you must allow the trigger to fully reset after each pull.

So, dry firing is fine for the gun, and the issue might be a fluke but apparently Ruger knows its a POTENTIAL problem.
Old December 2, 2012, 01:38 PM   #28
dgludwig

Quote:
As to the OP's situation, once the gun is back from Ruger you will have no greater chance of malfunction with it than a brand-new untested gun. Anything man-made can fail and you were simply unfortunate enough to get a gun with a defective part.
Good advice, but only if the problem is related to a defective part. If the problem is related to a design defect (and I'm not saying it is), the chance of another malfunction happening will always be a possibility ready to rear its ugly head.
Old December 5, 2012, 01:09 PM   #29
Dave T

Have to admit I am amazed at the number of people who think dry firing a center fire handgun is some how harmful and will "break" the gun. If a firearm design won't stand up to dry firing it needs to be redesigned or dropped from production.

Dave
Old December 12, 2012, 02:44 PM   #30
Isk

Update:

Received my LCR back from Ruger today. Notes simply said that they replaced the transfer bar and the pawl.

There is now a very slight change in the revolver's operation. Prior to being sent in, light pressure on the trigger wouild drop the piece that holds the cylinder in place allowing the cylinder to rotate. Now, the same light pressure on the trigger doesn't quite take that piece out of alignment, meaning it requires more pressure on the trigger to allow the cylinder to begin rotating. The feel of the trigger remain unchanged. Interesting.

So, a couple weeks turnaround time. Not bad.
Old December 12, 2012, 03:38 PM   #31
Wishoot

Glad Ruger turned it around so quickly. Their service really is tops.

Shoot a few hundred rounds through it before you make your final decision. You may find that it becomes your new best friend.
Old December 12, 2012, 06:31 PM   #32
czf

My new KLCR has a heavier trigger pull than my old 38+P guns.

Is the spring heavier in the .357s to insure ignition with Magnum primers?
http://cz-gunstuffs.webs.com/
Old December 13, 2012, 09:36 AM   #33
bikerbill

Sorry to hear about your LCR woes ... I tried one at a gunstore and was very disappointed in the trigger action, it felt gritty, long and uncomfortable compared to my Smith 637, so I passed ... I dry-fire the Smith all the time and it continues to soldier on ...