The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 30, 2012, 06:02 AM   #1
John1 S

Question on shotshell reloading

Thanking about reloading for a 12 gaga . Do you save about money doing it you self ??
Old September 30, 2012, 09:17 AM   #2
Shootest

With the high price of components today, especially shot, my savings are quite small when loading trap/skeet loads. At least over buying at sale prices. A bit better when loading premium loads. I loaded 200 rds of my favorite trap load and I figured the savings to be enough to pay for the birds.
Old September 30, 2012, 09:42 AM   #3
Magnum Mike

A lot depends on how you buy your components and what you plan to load. If you buy 1 pound of powder and a 100 primers at a time from B pro, Gouder Mtn, or Cab., then no. Shop around and buy bulk I reload far better than the elcheapo shells for less! I also do it as a hobby so NO I DO NOT COUNT MY TIME!
Old September 30, 2012, 09:59 AM   #4
John1 S

What I was going to load was 1 1/2 oz. of #6's using a wwaa12R wad for hunting.
Old September 30, 2012, 09:44 PM   #5
crowbeaner

I use 1 1/4 oz. of magnum shot (expensive stuff) and I load for performance. I use RP Unibody SP hulls, WW 209 primers, RP12 wads, and 33.0 of SR 4756. This load dates back to the 60s or early 70s and is printed in the older DuPont and IMR booklets. It absolutely turns pheasants sideways out to 55 yards with a modified choke, and will drop them at 70 yards if you hold right.
MV is stated at 1330 to 1340 fps. and I believe every inch. You can load 1 3/8 oz. in a Federal GM hull with the same effect. THIS IS NOT for wimps!! This load kicks the daylights out of me in an Ithaca 37, it's painful in my A5, and really stresses my 1100.
I used to save money loading trap loads, but with the price of shot today, it's cheaper to buy AA or Gunclub shells at Wally World.
Old October 1, 2012, 03:31 AM   #6
Magnum Mike

Quote:
I used to save money loading trap loads, but with the price of shot today, it's cheaper to buy AA or Gunclub shells at Wally World.
Wow! Your Walmart is a lot cheaper than mine. I cant find ANYTHING under $3.75 even without tax included per box!
That price does include shot at $40 a bag. I make my own shot for 16 yard targets.
Old October 4, 2012, 12:09 PM   #7
gab909

If you are loading a premium round for hunting. Heck yeah reload it. If you are shooting skeet with an 1 1/8 reload you aren't going to save much. The savings comes from dropping down to 7/8ths ounce of lead, buying in bulk and becoming obsessed with it. Any savings you gain from reloading you lose in shooting 3x's as much and buying new, cooler, and faster machines