The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 25, 2011, 10:22 PM   #1
blackdog_507

Para Ordnance TTR???

Been looking into an AR for A LONG time now. I just asked my local gun dealer to look into the new Stag Model 3 with VRS rail and factory flip ups, as I plan to install an EOtech. This was about a week ago. Today I go back to see if he's had any luck and he tells me he's got something WAY better that I'll be interested in. Its a PARA TTR. First I've heard of this rifle. After some research, there is evidently quite a twist on the gas piston system. I like the features of the rifle (Sights, stock, rail, etc.), but I just don't know a damn thing about them. Been reading some posts and a few people are talking about Para's service, parts availability, etc. This one is barely used (claims 20 rounds) and can be bought for $1,600 out the door. That's a lot of bread compared to a Stag model 3, but its more or less complete in that I wouldn't have to spend money on sights, aftermarket stock, etc. Anyone know anything about these guns or have any advice for me on this? Basically I like the gun and wouldn't mind spending the money on the innovative and cool technology, but I don't want to get stuck with a high price boat anchor either.
Old August 26, 2011, 09:42 AM   #2
tirod

It's a used gun. Shop the price.
It was purchased, shot, and the previous owner decided it wasn't his cup of tea. Why? It wasn't cheap, and he couldn't sell it new, so what was it that wasn't what he wanted so much he lost money on it?

It's a proprietary piston gun. Nobody carries parts except the maker, single source only. Even if you shoot 1,000 rounds a year thru it, will you be able to buy parts for it 5 years from now? Other piston guns have already gone out of production.

There is a lot of hearsay, speculation, and outright rhetoric thrown around on the subject, but nothing nailed down - what does this gun do that is numerically superior for the money? $1,600 would get you a Noveske, and you'd be just as well served.

The price jump from Stag to Para is a serious one. What is the real money based budget figure? Spending $1,600 would mean about $700 won't be available for an optic, ammo, etc. And honestly, most shooters would be ahead with a piece of glass and some experience rather than a safe queen. What do you REALLY plan to do with the gun?

Quad rails are $250 light and laser mounts. Unless the barrel is guaranteed 1/2MOA or less, about $25 in rail strips will net the same effective accuracy. And since an Eotech is primary, the $150 for BUIS could go for another red dot as backup. It's not an issue duty life or death gun - you can get something more effective than irons, that's the whole point of the Eotech. So, don't step down on the back up sights when the same money gets you something better.

Lot's of food for thought.
Old August 26, 2011, 09:51 AM   #3
Fishbed77

You could get a pretty dang nice (and proven) AR (Noveske, LMT, Colt, etc.) for which parts are readily available if need be.

I'd pass.

Tags
ar-15 , para , semi auto rifle