Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

View Poll Results: HBE, Kellogg or SideGuard
HBE DC Tuckable 3 100.00%
Kellogg Custom Leather Karl 0 0%
SideGuard Double Tuck 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 11, 2011, 12:50 PM   #1
Spammy_H

HBE, Kellogg Custom Leather, or SideGuard Custom Leather?

I'm in the market for a new tuckable IWB leather holster. I've spent the past few days researching a bunch of different ones online, and think I have it narrowed down to these three:

HBE Leatherworks' DC Tuckable:

Kellogg Custom Leather's Karl Holster:
http://www.kelloggcustomleather.com/karl.html

Sideguard Holster's Double Tuck Clip or Double Tuck Snap:
http://www.sideguardholsters.com/hol...B_Holsters.htm

The gun will be a Springfield EMP 40. I have a DM Bullard Dual Carry for my XD45 Compact. Overall, I'm pleased with it, but it seems just a little bulky. It conceals well, but I have had the holster come up with the gun when drawing if the steel cips are used. The leather snap straps add way too much bulk to the rig.

I've heard very good things about Eric Larsen's work. His holster looks like it is fairly thin, and you can get it in horsehide which could make it evern a little thinner. His steel clips have a little tooth that sits under the belt to keep them put better than the standard metal clip. Eric is up to 4-5 months' lead time , but you don't get that kind of workload by doing crappy work, so in a sense that's good .

I haven't heard anything about either Kellogg or SideGuard's products, but they look pretty good to me.

I would prefer snap straps to metal clips to keep the holster put better, but don't want bulk added to my rig (I've got enough bulk inside the waistband without adding anything additional ).

I want it to be comfortable, conceal well, tuck when I want to, stay open for reholstering, and stay put when I draw. I have a CrossBreed brown belt, and would like the color to match it, within reason. Basically, I want it all (who doesn't).

I'm not interested in a kydex or hybrid right now.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old January 13, 2011, 09:18 AM   #2
Veyec

I have a HBE.

Since I live not too far from Eric, I had him make a holster for me. Since I do not have any experience with the other brands you mentioned, I cannot give you a comparison. But I can tell you the Eric is a truly great guy, and his quality of work is some of the best I have ever seen.

When I met with him at his place, we discussed all of the options. Since I was a new carrier at the time, I did not really know what I wanted in a holster. Eric took the time to listen to what I wanted, and then added his advice from experiences with holsters. In the end, I got a holster that is easy to wear, use, comfortable, and beautiful.

I do not think you would regret getting a HBE holster.
Old January 25, 2011, 01:44 PM   #3
Spammy_H

I ended up ordering the HBE. I'll post a review when it comes in.

Tags
hbe , kellogg , sideguard , tuckable