The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 7, 2010, 11:36 PM   #1
jtmckinney

Glock 24 as an IDPA Pistol

What is the feeling about the Glock 24 as a competion pistol in IDPA.

All I know now is info from the internet both about the Glock and the competition. I am going to a match next Wednesday and I am sure after talking to the shooters I will have more information.

This is is preperation for the purchase of my first pisol and I like the idea of being able to compete with it.

What I like about the Glock 24 is the sight radius. I am sure there are a hundred other things that I will only figure out when I start competing.

Any opinions are appreciated.
Thanks, James

Last edited by jtmckinney; April 8, 2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old April 8, 2010, 07:47 AM   #2
fineredmist

Try one before you buy one is a good idea. I have used Glock 17, 19, 22, and 23 in IDPA and the 23 works best for me. The long sight radius is great in some applications but it may work against you in IDPA. IDPA is usually shot at close range and pinpoint accuracy is not crucial but speed is. You may find the shorter sight radius of a "full sized" or "compact" Glock will put you on target faster.
Old April 8, 2010, 12:41 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Glock 24 is not acceptable by IDPA, it is too long overall and will not fit The Box. The G35 is the longest Glock suitable.

Why do you particularly want a .40? Do you handload so you can fire a heavy bullet at low velocity to minimize felt recoil?
Old April 8, 2010, 01:26 PM   #4
jtmckinney

I do reload

I do reload, and was planning to work up a round for self defence and as a sidearm when hog hunting. I do not get to hunt that much and never carried a sidearm when doing so but thought I would start. This will also become my main home defense weapon.

A couple of friends of mine that are more experienced in semi-auto's recommended 40sw and it would be fun to compete with them with the same cartridge. They both shoot Berettas. I looked at a Glock 22 and liked the feel but again I have never owned a large semi-auto before.

I did not even think about competition shooting until I ran across a couple of videos from a local shooting club and it looked like something I would like to try.

There is an event next Wednesday that I am going to attend and plan on asking a lot of questions and seeing what the experienced shooters are shooting.

It sounds like a self defence and hunting round may require a different load than a competition load.

Thanks, James
Old April 14, 2010, 10:41 PM   #5
jtmckinney

Glock 24 Is Not IDPA

I went to my first IDPA match tonight. It was fun and I learned a lot. Most shot 9mm, but not all. The people were great and nobody was giving anybody else a hard time. I also did not see anything that made me uncomfortable about safety.

I was not able to stay for the end and see how they finished the night. Maybe that is when the trash talking starts but I don't think so.

There was also a big difference in the speed and markmanship levels between the competitors. The impression I got was that most were competing more against themselves than each other.

Gotta call it a day.
Everyone be safe,
James

Last edited by jtmckinney; April 15, 2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old April 15, 2010, 08:23 AM   #6
Jim Watson

Glad you enjoyed it.
Please try to make time to stay for the whole thing, help is always welcome taking down the targets and props. Trash talking normally occurs when a group gets together after the match to eat.
Old May 4, 2010, 11:37 PM   #7
Gryff

The Glock 24 (and the 17L) is illegal for IDPA. Barrel is too long and causes the gun to not fit in the IDPA box (a size limitation box...if it won't fit, it's illegal).