The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 29, 2009, 08:29 AM   #1
olmontanaboy

Ruger Old Army

Is the Ruger OA discontinued? I'd like to get a stainless one. Years ago I shot a friends (blued model) and really liked it.
Old March 29, 2009, 08:31 AM   #2
les265

Yes they are discontinued. You can typically find them at gunshows (not always stainless). Check the classifieds here, or go to gunbroker if you can't find one locally.
Old March 29, 2009, 10:09 AM   #3
Pahoo

A couple of weeks ago, a distributor told me that for now, they are not being made. There are still some distributors that have them but you are going to have to go hunt for them. However, in the near future, they will do a special run of the 7-1/2" in blue and S.S. There are no current plans to make any of the 5-1/2". Life goes on !!

Be Safe !!!
Old March 29, 2009, 10:27 AM   #4
B.L.E.

I kinda wish they would make a .36 cap & ball revolver based on the smaller Blackhawk frame. Call it the "Old Navy" perhaps.
Old March 29, 2009, 11:30 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

Quote:
I kinda wish they would make a .36 cap & ball revolver based on the smaller Blackhawk frame. Call it the "Old Navy" perhaps.
If Ruger would build that I think it would sell well. I love the smoke and noise from the Walker and Dragoons but I'm really liking the 51 and 61 Navies in .36. I can load a full cylinder for what two rounds in the Walker eats. Plus less lead for those that cast their own.

For the OP, the ROA's are bringing a premium price right now. I have seen the 7.5 stainless guns go for over $600 on GB. I think if you look around you can find one for $400 +/-. Remember the handling marks on stainless polish out and can make a heavily handled gun look near new. I bought one that looked well used but was very tight and it polished up like new. Added new grips and it's like NIB.
Not bad for a 32 year old revolver.
Old March 29, 2009, 11:56 AM   #6
ClemBert

The few that I've run into at gun shows were a bit beat on and they still wanted over $500 without the original box or paperwork. On GunBroker.com I have seen a couple recently go for over $800 for NIB (New In Box) old stock. Typically, the NIB's will go from the mid $500's into the mid $600's. Here are a couple of NIB's currently going for less than the typical:

Gloss Stainless with Fixed Sights

Satin Stainless with Adjustable Sights

Last edited by ClemBert; March 29, 2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old March 30, 2009, 10:53 PM   #7
Jbar4Ranch

I'm glad I "stocked up" when they were affordable.

SASS 47015
Old March 30, 2009, 11:03 PM   #8
Dingoboyx

Thanks alot Jbar4Ranch!

You certainly made me drool

Muzza
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCP_0011.jpg (115.9 KB, 49 views)
Old March 31, 2009, 10:18 AM   #9
madcratebuilder

WOW! I would say that's a collection of Old Armies. You must like the fixed sights. I do think they look better with the fixed sights, but I sure like the adjustable ones too.
Old March 31, 2009, 11:08 AM   #10
Noz

ROA Adjustable Sights

Problem there is that they (adjustable sights) cannot be used in Frontiersman. The competition guns must be fixed sights.
Old March 31, 2009, 04:53 PM   #11
williamfeldmann

As far as fixes vs adjustable, I like my Old Armies with either. I carry one while I ride and my fixed sight has way more horse miles on it. However, my adjustable has way more range hours, and I go thtem at basically the same time. The fixed sights are more leather friendly without the ramp sight and with the more rounded and smooth frame.

Shooting wise, unless you are shooting more than 25 yards there is no accuracy difference that I can tell.
Old March 31, 2009, 09:48 PM   #12
Oldfalguy

Conversion Cylinders for the ROA

I too have been thinking of getting a SS ROA and will be looking for one this weekend. What I need some advice on is which of the conversion cylinders is best for the ROA? Does anyone make one with a loading gate?
I have a 60 and a 51, think they are Uberti's and I know they are over way 20 years old. Be nice to find conv. cylinders for them also but it sorta befuddles me on the .36 cal. 51 as I thought I saw one for it in 38 special?? I guess the bore is over .36 and the 38 spcl is not quite .38??

Mark
Old March 31, 2009, 10:07 PM   #13
Smokin_Gun

I was told at a CAS Shoot I could not Use an ROA period fixed or adjustable as it was not a replica of anything ... I told um, but it is an Original... It's ok I don't shoot CAS anyway...
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old April 1, 2009, 08:28 AM   #14
ClemBert

Quote:
What I need some advice on is which of the conversion cylinders is best for the ROA?
Start here: Conversion Cylinder Thread

Last edited by ClemBert; April 1, 2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old April 1, 2009, 10:40 AM   #15
Jbar4Ranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gun
I was told at a CAS Shoot I could not Use an ROA period fixed or adjustable as it was not a replica of anything ... I told um, but it is an Original... It's ok I don't shoot CAS anyway...
Someone didn't know what they were talking about. The ROA is legal in every category, even categories like Frontier Cartridge and Classic Cowboy if you use conversion cylinders. Some categories require fixed sights and some don't. I even used to shoot my adj sight pair in Modern class once in awhile.

SASS 47015
Old April 1, 2009, 11:11 AM   #16
Fingers McGee

Quote: Jbar4Ranch
Quote:
Someone didn't know what they were talking about. The ROA is legal in every category, even categories like Frontier Cartridge and Classic Cowboy if you use conversion cylinders. Some categories require fixed sights and some don't. I even used to shoot my adj sight pair in Modern class once in awhile.
Correct - to a point. The fixed sight ROA is leagl in all SASS Categories with or without cartridge conversions. The adjustable sight ROA, with or without cartridge conversions, is only legal in the age based categories and B-Western.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old April 1, 2009, 11:17 AM   #17
Jbar4Ranch

Correct - to a point. The fixed sight ROA is leagl in all SASS Categories with or without cartridge conversions.
I just checked the requirements for FC and nowhere does it say it has to be a cartridge revolver, go figure. BUT Classic Cowboy specifies a rimmed cartridge of at least .40 caliber, so no C&B's there w/o conversion cylinders.

SASS 47015
Old April 1, 2009, 12:08 PM   #18
Fingers McGee

Quote Jbar4Ranch:
Quote:
BUT Classic Cowboy specifies a rimmed cartridge of at least .40 caliber, so no C&B's there w/o conversion cylinders.
You didn't read far enough Jbar. It says "Revolver calibers: .40 caliber rimmed cartridges or larger—revolvers and rifle Examples include, but are not limited to, .38-40, .44 Special, .44 Russian, .44 Mag., .44-40, .45 Schofield, .45 Colt or .36 caliber or larger cap and ball."
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old April 1, 2009, 10:01 PM   #19
Jbar4Ranch

Well I'll be dawged. I'm gonna have to go through the eighth grade again!

SASS 47015
Old April 2, 2009, 09:51 PM   #20
Oldfalguy

Thanks I will Check the Conv. Cyl. the link

was at a major antique show encompassing about 9 towns-
I ran across a guy who had some nice real old B/C weapons-
One of which was an original 1858 Remington for......$2450
In nice shape too. Headed to the big Tulsa show tomorrow- Hopefully I will run across a SS ROA.
Old April 7, 2009, 10:24 PM   #21
Oldfalguy

Tulsa Show

Well after one glance at the show I was speechless and 2 days later about all I can do is stutter. With over 5000 tables I only managed to find ONE single SS ROA at the whole show. 3 blued models-

What I did see many many dozens of were Colt 1851's and 1860's
and then perhaps 30 1858 Remmys.

Wanted to buy one of the latter but haven't done my research yet as if I buy one I fully intend to shoot it otherwise I will get a Uberti- Already have Uberti .31 and a 1860.

Mark