Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 25, 2008, 01:39 PM   #1
Prince55

Tru-Oil problem---

I just recently bought a new 3oz. bottle of Tru-Oil and after using a small
amount a few times to refinish some Ruger Blackhawk grips noticed that it
has a "gummy" consistency to it.
At first I thought it was the temperature being colder from winter, but I
think it needs thinning as it won't dry to a really smooth finish.
What is the best type of thinner and about what amount ?

Thanks
Old November 25, 2008, 04:46 PM   #2
Pahoo

I understand that it looks gummy, in the bottle; Right? If so, it's probably because it is too old and to much of the solvents, have evaporated. You can thin it down with Mineral Spirits or paint thinner as basically they are the same. Read the lable. True oil use to come in glass bottles and now in plastic. The plastic breaths and after a time, you loose the solvents. The last bottle I used, worked different than previous batches and I really had to work the piece fast. I also store these bottles as well as my other finishes, upside down to form a seal and again, reduce evaporation. Brownell makes several great finishes but for the average person, like ourselves, True oil is a the best finish.

Oh yes, on the amount of thinner to use?? That is a judgement call but go slow and after a good mix, Dip a stick of even a pencil into it and see that the drops fall off about every second or so. It's hard to describe. You can also try a little on a test piece of wood and go from there. I like it on the thin side myself.

Good luck and Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; November 25, 2008 at 04:52 PM. Reason: added info.
Old November 25, 2008, 04:59 PM   #3
Smoke & Recoil

Hey Prince55, For the same price that you paid for that 3oz bottleof Tru-Oil...you can buy a quart can of Tung Oil at your local Home-Depotor Lowe's store. Tung Oil is a real nice finish on walnut grips and stocks.use oooo, steel wool very lightly between coats. Use a soft lint free ragand rub it in real good on the first coat and let stand over night,thenrub lightly with the steel wool. After that you can reapply ever 4 hoursuntil you reach the desired depth of finish that you like, and you'll stillhave enough Tung Oil left to do several grips, stocks and grandfather clocks. I hope this helps you.
Old November 25, 2008, 09:43 PM   #4
LHB1

Prince,
TruOil has been my preferred stock finish since 1964. If you leave the cap off the bottle and expose the liquid to air/oxygen, the finish will begin to set up/cure to a gummy consistency as you mention. My solution is to open the bottle and pour out only what I think will be needed into a small paper cup, then immediately recap the bottle. This seems to make the finish in the bottle last much longer before beginning to set up and become gummy.
Old December 1, 2008, 06:32 PM   #5
kenjs1

i've used tung oil too -worked nicely. Linseed is another - but a better option than that is Linspeed - dries much quicker.
Old December 5, 2008, 06:00 PM   #6
fastforty

I've heard that Tru-Oil is best thinned with Denatured Alcohol. Works good for me
Old December 5, 2008, 06:37 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Tung oil and Linseed oil make beautiful finishes, but they are not as moisture resistant as those with some portion of polyurethane or other synthetic resin or a varnish resin in them. You can prove this by putting a damp cloth on a rubbed linseed oiled finish. You get a white watermark in no time. I've also seen mold growing on a linseed oil finished stock before.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; December 5, 2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old December 5, 2008, 10:05 PM   #8
Nnobby45

I've finished more than one stock with Tru-oil. An ol' timer taught me. He told me to apply a thin coat, after the finish has been sanded off, let dry, and buff it with fine steel wool.

As you keep repeating the process, you will notice the pores of the wood beginning to fill up. I realize that a dozen coats is time comsuming and not for everyone. But if you want a truly beautiful stock, that's how to do it. The last coat is buffed with pumice stone (powdered) mixed with mineral oil. Or you can omit that and lightly buff the last coat with the steel wool for the most amazingly shiny stock you've ever seen. This will completely fill up the pores and waterproof it. If you don't like the shine, buff with burlap.

It's the multiple thin coats that does it.