The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 7, 2005, 06:21 PM   #1
mete

PA bear

Hunters harvested a record 4,123 bears in PA this season !!
Old December 7, 2005, 07:25 PM   #2
jeff_troop

Are you serious? man that is a lot of bears. how about send of them down our way so i won't have to go to nc to hunt 'em
Old December 8, 2005, 07:35 AM   #3
Bowtier

Yep, lots of 'em

And some were really big. My neighbor got a 415 pounder in Mercer co., there was one in the paper from Crawford that was 535# & I think I read they got 7 or 8 ranging in the 600-700# class. Now thems some BIG PA black bears.

I think I'll have to take up bear hunting next year.
Old December 8, 2005, 08:21 AM   #4
Ac1d0v3r1d3

caliber?

what did your neighbor use on his bear? i dont hunt, what are popular rifles/ammo for bears?
Old December 8, 2005, 08:51 AM   #5
Bowtier

I think he was using his 7mm Rem mag. with 175gr. noslers, but I'm not 100% sure.

They drive hunt a lot for 'em around here, the bears just hold up in the thickest stuff you've ever seen after opening day.

My buddy & his group usually send the walkers through big gullies that are thick with tornado slashings. They put the shooters up on the ridges to watch down in & a couple guys @ the end of the ravine & push 'em out.

This is just hear-say though, like I said, I haven't gone after 'em (yet)
Old December 8, 2005, 09:04 AM   #6
K80Geoff

Good!!! Maybe now I can hang a bird feeder and not have it swiped by Boo Boo

Or be able to put my trash out the night before pickup without finding it all over the road in the morning.

BTW last year they recorded three bears over 800lbs!!!

They are a real nuisance here in PA. So if you want to hunt them next year please come

Check out some of the Pics: http://www.huntingpa.com/ubbthreads/.../0/Board/UBB41
Old December 9, 2005, 12:37 AM   #7
Invicta

i read that the biggest black bear killed this years season was 733 lbs. thats one big bear.
Old December 12, 2005, 01:54 PM   #8
Ian2005

Big Bear

Never having had the chance for bear to hit my pallet - what does it taste like?

-5 if I hear "chicken".

-Ian
Old December 12, 2005, 07:14 PM   #9
Tom Matiska

I've been told the taste varies depending on diet. Where I hunt there are lots of swamps and scrub, and berry seeds in the droppings are a good sign. But bear have a terrible sense of taste, they will eat stuff that would gag a maggot. Get one that has been eating road kill along the turnpike or raiding trash bins and, ... not so good
Old December 12, 2005, 07:55 PM   #10
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Only had it once. Maybe it was the way is was dressed out or maybe it was the cook, but it was tough, gamey, and greasy . I've been told that bear meat needs to be cooked the same as pork, for the same reasons.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old December 13, 2005, 12:56 PM   #11
shureshot0471

I would not kill one because it just doesn't sound good to eat I have heard that they are very greasy and very wild I like to eat wild game hold on that's all I eat but Bear I don't think so heck when hogs down here in Texas get over like 250 they aren't any good too much fat I would think the same concept with a Bear over too much and they are bad to eat IDK just me thinking it would be cool to kill one though
- Ted Nugent