The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 16, 2000, 04:04 PM   #1
Reloader

Gang, I need help on choosing a pack. It will need to supply 2 adults for two days 2 miles away in brush of South Texas. No vehicles allowed.due to thickness. i just purchased a Camelbak H.A.W.G., but it doesn't have enough room for all the gear. I want to lash the H.A.W.G. to the pack . What do you guys recommend. I will need food, ammo, 2 rifles, cooking ustensils and a sleeping and mat. I also need to keep the price below &200. Oh, I am not fond of ALICE
type packs. Thanks in advance.
Old July 16, 2000, 05:22 PM   #2
Grayfox

Most any decent brand backpack will do. I said backpack, not day pack. Make sure it has good shoulder straps and a hipbelt and that they are fully adjustable.
Backpacks are like holsters. Try a bunch on till you find one that fits you and your needs.
BTW: if you must lash the HAWG to the new pack, put it either on top or underneath. Water is probably the heavist thing you will have. Heavy items are best kept as close to your backbone as possible for weight distribution and comfort. See if the HAWG will fit inside.

------------------
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
Old July 16, 2000, 06:07 PM   #3
Blue Jays

Hi Reloader-

Some pretty cool stuff at these sites:

www.wookey.net : small specialty place, the stuff ain't cheap, but looks high-quality.

www.rei.com : REI, goes without saying...

www.theoutdoor.com : GearPro

www.altrec.com : Sierra Designs, Eagle Creek, Patagonia, and a couple of other good makes...

Good luck with your search. Sounds like you are in the same boat as me. Have to find a pack with a decent number of outside pockets to help with organization for more than one person out on the trails.

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~