The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 25, 2000, 09:12 PM   #1
Mr Purple

I have a Remington 11-87 that has a parkerized finish. This weekend, I did a little camping and trapshooting, and -no foolin'- we got FIVE INCHES of rain. Aside from a sleeping bag that weighs 400 pounds, the humidity got to my shot gun (which was in the truck). There is now a light coat of rust on the receiver (just the side that was up) and a little on the magazine cap. How the heck do I go about taking the rust off without shredding the finish? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old September 25, 2000, 11:04 PM   #2
Badger Arms

Is your gun really parkerized or is it bead-blasted and blued? I believe that only some Law Enforcement guns are Parkerized. A little fine grit Steel Wool would normally be in order but I think you might be able to just use some CLP and some moderate rubbing to get the majority of it off. If there is any pitting, use the Steel wool Might end up being a refinish job in the end. Worth the $100 to you? I'd just clean it up and call it good.
Old September 26, 2000, 05:09 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

4/0 steel wool with a bit of WD40 or oil should clean that up if the metal's not pitted. Some folks in moist areas use an auto paste wax on external surfaces for protection.

Also, if it is indeed Parkerized, even the phosphate style finishes are rust resistant, not rust proof.
Old September 26, 2000, 05:59 AM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

I've had that problem a time or five hundred.

I find that Flitz works the best for me. There is a very similar product that Wal-Mart sells called "Gun-Brite". Should work the same.

I also like car wax for rust protection.

Giz
Old September 26, 2000, 08:15 AM   #5
Mr Purple

Thanks for the really quick replies! It's safe to use something as abrasive as steel wool, eh? I was figuring on a scotchbrite pad or something, but I think I'll follow your lead. And the car wax idea sounds like a perfect solution...do you use a paste wax, or a liquid wax?
Old September 26, 2000, 11:30 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Turtle wax. It's not just for waxing turtles anymore.

As for steel wool, stick to 0000. And go lightly.
Old September 26, 2000, 03:11 PM   #7
VictorLouis

Make sure you buy the premium McGuire's(sp?)Carnuba WAX, not just the regular stuff. It all contains mild cleansing abrasives which work to the detriment of your finish. In the case of the lightly rusted gun;, however, this may not be a bad idea.