The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 8, 2002, 12:25 AM   #26
scarman

I'v always been a fan of the 870. Although I have never tried a Mossberg. That is until recently. Someone broke into my home and walked off with my 870 and a few others.

So... I went out shopping and took a good hard look at the Mossberg. I ended up taking the Mossberg 835 over an 870. I wasn't real sure I was going to like the 835 but I wanted to give it a shot, so to speak.

I wasn't real happy with the new 870s I looked at. A lot of people seem to complain about the Mossberg rattling. I didn't find that the Mossberg rattled any more or less than any of the 870s I looked at. I don't think the new 870s I looked at were as good the one I bought 15 + years ago.

I've taken the 835 out for some crow shoot'n and so far I'm very pleased with it. I'm not missing the 870 too much. I had that 870 for 15 + years.
Old February 8, 2002, 12:33 AM   #27
J. Parker

Got an old Western Field 12 gauge at a pawn shop last year. It had a 24" barrel with rifled sights. Well, it's actually a Mossberg 500 deer/slug shotgun marketed through Monkey Wards years ago.
Chopped the barrel down to 19" and now it's my woods/campin' gun this summer. I have no idea how old this thing is but it's still smooth as silk. Bein' a former deer/slug gun I'm sure it wasn't shot much but still I'm impressed.
Plus, I've got a short 12 gauge with purty wood...Best, J. Parker
Old February 9, 2002, 01:39 AM   #28
Shotgun364

Remington=Cadillac Mossberg=Jeep

The first time I tried on a mossberg, I didnt like the feel against my body. And the action was not very smooth.
My 870 Marine Magnum fits well and feels right. The action slides like butter. I have put thousands of shells through it and it just gets better with age. 870 all the way
Old February 9, 2002, 10:30 AM   #29
Shin-Tao

No! No! No, no, no, no, no, no, no!!! Stop it!

No more Moss vs 870 threads!!! PLEASE!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!
Old February 9, 2002, 12:07 PM   #30
Tropical Z

Shin-Tao,
We just want to know which ones better!
Old February 9, 2002, 12:48 PM   #31
Shin-Tao

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!