The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 25, 2013, 03:01 PM   #1
nocturnal

hey guys, need a little Ruger identification here

Alright, as some of you may know from my other threads, I have been looking for a nice single action with a birdshead gripframe

So, is this an "Old Model" Vaquero?
Or a "New Model"...

If I am correct, the "Old Model" was based on a bigger, stronger frame and can take the Ruger-only loads

And the "New Model" is based on a smaller frame...and while still strong, not as strong as the "Old Model"

Help me I.D. this gun please
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=327025134
Old January 25, 2013, 04:00 PM   #2
Bob Wright

That is the original Vaquero. (There is no such thing as an "Old Model Vaquero.")

The color case finish is the give-away.

And, yes, same size frame as the Blackhawk.

Bob Wright
Old January 25, 2013, 04:06 PM   #3
Bob Wright

Incidentally, the original Ruger Blackhawk frame and cylinder are plenty for the .357 Magnum cartridge, and that's the same size as current New Vaqueros.

When introduce in 1956 or so, Ruger advertised that the Blackhawk has the largest cylinder of any .357 Magnum on the market.

Bob Wright
Old January 25, 2013, 04:06 PM   #4
savit260

Just to make clear what Bob Wright is saying...

In Ruger speak... "Old Model" means three screw action.

"New Model" means two pins and a transfer bar action.

The "Old Model" predates the Vaquero line by a bunch of years, therefore there aren't any "Old Model" Vaqueros.

In Vaquero land.. there are "Vaqero's" which are the orignal large framed guns and the "New Vaquero". These are built on the mid sized frame. They all however have the "New Model" transfer bar action.

I know ... confuing.
Old January 26, 2013, 12:35 PM   #5
blfuller

The first version of the Vaquero will have only "RUGER VAQUERO" stamped on the left side of the frame. The second and current version will have "RUGER NEW VAQUERO" stamped on the Left side of the frame. The new Vaquero version has a mid size frame which is the same size as the original Blackhawk and more of the same size as a Colt SAA. The new hammers are slightly more Colt like in their appearance as well.

The new version is not as strong as the first version so you can't push the limits of cartridges like the 45 Long Colt if you hand load. Given this the original Vaqueros are a little more desirable to some and command a premium.
Old January 27, 2013, 02:26 AM   #6
Pathfinder45

original vs New Vaquero

From what I understand, the New Vaquero is a somewhat better gun than the original Vaquero. I've examined them in the store and they do indeed seem very nice. But I've never shot one. On the other hand, I have owned the original in 45 Colt for about 14 years now and have burned up at least several pounds of powder in it. It's very strong and built to last. I reamed the cylinder throats and accuracy improved somewhat. It's stainless so it doesn't rust. I filed and slightly modified the front sight for better visibilty and to correct point of aim. It's a woods gun that thrives on neglect. I sleep on the ground with it in bear country. Because it has a companion rifle in the same caliber, it needs to be able to take the higher pressure loads like the rifle. So, it works for me and I prefer it over the New Vaquero. If I was looking to get a 357, I would definitely be looking at a New Vaquero.
Old January 27, 2013, 09:44 PM   #7
nocturnal

Thanks for all the input,
The search continues; even gunbroker seems short on guns lately!

I always say that if you want something, order it. But it seems that even manufacturers are short right now
However; it seems that it's a bad time to be buying guns right now...unless you want to grossly overpay.

I'm keeping my eyes and ears open, I'm sure I will be very satisfied once I find what I want.

All the Ruger advice has helped a lot, it does get confusing. I think that if I end up with a Ruger, it will be a 3-screw Blackhawk or Vaquero.
I like case-coloring and the new "All Blue" Blackhawks with their black grips are so ugly, no character at all!

I'm not really a stainless man either...