The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 9, 2012, 12:02 AM   #1
Highlander1

Nikon M223 Mount A Good Option For New AR15?

My friend and I have just purchased our first AR15's (Coyote rifles from RRA) and will be going with the highly recommended Nikon M223 scope in 2x8. We will be using this setup for a lot of target shooting, and also a fair bit of coyote hunting.

My only question is the mount, and would really appreciate some of your expertise there. I've seen a number of comments (including a full review of the scope and mount) that said the Nikon M223 mount is a solid choice, I've also seen other people that state that mounts are critical and you should spend the money to buy a LaRue. I'm sure those are great mounts, but they cost nearly as much as the scope, and clearly don't fit our budget.

Also, there are two versions of the Nikon 223 mount, the standard one, and another with 20MOA. Which is the better choice?

Thanks for any assistance with this.
Old October 9, 2012, 03:08 AM   #2
Metal god

If the Nikon comes with the mounts try them out and if they don't hold zero step up a grade or two . I suspect they will hold zero just fine . You also need to keep in mind you have an AR not a competition bolt gun . Not sure how much of a difference you will notice from $60 rings to $200 rings .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 9, 2012, 05:43 AM   #3
Marquezj16

My 1-4x M223 came with the nikon mount. It is solid and does what it's suppose to, mount the scope and keep it's zero. Only negative thing about it is, it's not a quick detach. You could find a Burris PEPR QD for about the same price.
Old October 9, 2012, 05:46 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

Two M223's and a P series AR mount from Nikon.

The M223XR mount with +20moa allows you to have your scope adjustment near center when zeroed for longer range. If you plan on shooting to 600yds it's nice to have. The XR is a rock solid mount, been sing one for two years.

The only negative about the M223 is it is not a QD. It requires a allen wrench to remove. If you don't care about QD then it's not a negative.
Old October 9, 2012, 08:45 AM   #5
bman940

Nikon M-223 AR Mount

High., You will be fine with either mount. I have half XR ( 20 MOA) mounts and honestly for most of my shooting, heck, all of my shooting, it is a non-issue. I have gone to 600 yards a couple of times without a problem, one time going 5-5 on a 10 inch steel plate at that distance. Believe it or not, that's pretty darn good for me!
I think you'll be very happy with that scope choice. Not sure if you got the Nikoplex or bDC reticle, either way make sure you check out Nikon's Spot On Website. It'll give you a lot of shooting info dialed into your specific data.

Post a pic when you get everything mounted up.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/...40/m-233-2.jpg
Old October 9, 2012, 09:23 AM   #6
Technosavant

I have the Nikon mount for my M-223; I also have a LaRue mount on another scope on another rifle.

IMO, unless you want the quick detach capability of the LaRue SPR mount (the corresponding LaRue mount to the mount that came with my Nikon is the LT104 for $210), there's no need to toss the Nikon mount for one that costs you another couple hundred and then some. The LaRue is certainly a nice mount and better in some ways, but quite honestly, a scope mount is to hold the scope without letting it shift and lose zero. The Nikon mount appears to be plenty good at this. It may not be able to be removed and replaced without losing zero like the LaRue mount (never tried it with the Nikon), but unless you absolutely need that feature I see no need to swap out the Nikon mount.

And as said, unless you're going for very long range shooting, you don't need the 20 MOA mount. If you're going to zero at 100 yards or so the regular mount will be plenty good enough.