The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 10, 2012, 03:29 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

New acquisition

Keybear's ROA arrived this day.

He took very good care of this pistol. Inner box, outer box, wrench, papers and pistol were included. The box matches the pistol serial number. The nipples come out of the cylinder very easily.

Very happy. Thank KB.

Tnx,
Old March 10, 2012, 04:14 PM   #2
KEYBEAR

ROA

Doc I put anti-seize on the nipples just before shipping .
Also a little more oil then I should of ??

Thanks KEYBEAR
Old March 10, 2012, 05:04 PM   #3
dlbarr

Uh.....[I]pictures [I]maybe?
Old March 10, 2012, 05:05 PM   #4
dlbarr

Uh.....pictures maybe?
Old March 10, 2012, 07:09 PM   #5
Doc Hoy

Photos

Actually I think the one KB posted was a little better.

But here goes.

Old March 10, 2012, 07:55 PM   #6
straight-shooter

Ah yes, some ROA goodness!
Old March 10, 2012, 11:44 PM   #7
dlbarr

Yes very fine.

Thanks Doc, I did not see the other pics when listed.
Old March 11, 2012, 12:03 AM   #8
deerslayer303

Sweet, looks just like my trusty friend. Enjoy Doc! Question though, with the 14 million revolvers you have, how many do you actually shoot?
Old March 11, 2012, 04:14 AM   #9
sandman_nv

very nice indeed!
Old March 11, 2012, 10:13 PM   #10
bedbugbilly

Nice looking ROA Doc! I've never shot one but know others that have 'em and they love 'em. We're all anxious to hear how it does at the range.

deerslayer . . . . after Doc made all of those nice display cases that he showed us all . . do you think he may be working on more? I'm thinking that this new (to him) ROA that he got would look really nice in a case with a stainless "sister"? :roll eyes:

Enjoy Doc! Let's us know how she shoots!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 12, 2012, 12:45 AM   #11
deerslayer303

Quote:
deerslayer . . . . after Doc made all of those nice display cases that he showed us all . . do you think he may be working on more? I'm thinking that this new (to him) ROA that he got would look really nice in a case with a stainless "sister"? :roll eyes:
Indeed, a stainless sister is a must!!! But all jokes in the shade, seeing as how the ROA is no longer made, its really not a bad idea to case one up. And hit the range with the Repro's. But my ROA shoots so dang good I can't put it away.
Old March 12, 2012, 05:28 AM   #12
Doc Hoy

Coupla responses.

DS,

I have three revolvers on the bench that I have not shot and five shootable revolvers I have not yet shot. Weekend weather is supposed to be nice and especially now that Mykeal and Zullo told me we shifted to daylight saving time, I should be able to get out and change all that.

There are several revolvers I own that I purposely do not shoot.

C.O.M. Sheriff's 1851 pattern that chain fired on me. I think it is haunted so I don't shoot it anymore.

Centaure 1960NMA that I used to shoot, then got it rehabbed by "Wayner". Now I don't shoot it.

Three Colt Second and Third gens that I shot a coupla times but don't anymore.

To DS and BBB,

I have the sister already. That is why I needed the brother. The brother is 1975 manuf so it is pre-warning. Sister is 1995 so it has the warning.

Coupla years ago I developed a philosophy. It does not determine how I decide what to take along to the range, just an observation.

"I like handling my Colts, I like cleaning my Remingtons, I Like Shooting my ROAs".

Last edited by Doc Hoy; March 12, 2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old March 12, 2012, 05:39 AM   #13
Doc Hoy

Coupla observations on the ROA

I developed a healthy respect for the Ruger designers when I got my first ROA. (Sometime around 1982 an older version of the Stainless sister from 95) They made a C&B pistol that is intended to be the pinnacle of revolver performance.

It acts more like a black powder, multiple shot, shooting tool. Every part of it (Accept for that stupid loading lever which is like three individual and unrelated parts which happen to be flying in formation) is designed to optimize the shooting experience.

If I were going to use a black powder revolver for home defense (And I NEVER would) It would be an ROA.
Old March 12, 2012, 10:14 AM   #14
deerslayer303

Warning and Pre Warning

Ok so I might be learning something here. What is a warning and pre warning gun. Is it something stamped on the barrel? Or is it the "For Black Powder Only" on the cylinder? And I'm with you on the cleaning of the Remington's part. I don't particularly care for completely disassembling the ROA, alot more smaller parts to keep up with.
Old March 12, 2012, 10:20 AM   #15
KEYBEAR

Roa pre-warning

In 1978 Ruger started putting is on the barrels( pre warning gun)
Little to do with Black Powder

KEYBEAR

Last edited by KEYBEAR; March 12, 2012 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Forgot things ?
Old March 12, 2012, 10:26 AM   #16
Doc Hoy

Yep!

I don't know what year it was. I am sure someone does because several members are far more familiiar with ROAs than I am.

But at some point Ruger started roll engraving a warning on the top of the barrel. It think it says, "Hey Fool! Stop looking down the barrel when it is loaded capped and cocked!" or some such. That I am aware of, there is no difference in the components, features or manufacturing that makes the non-warning model more or less desirable. Just something for people on black powder forums to talk about.

Cleaning revolvers is (to me) part of the fun of owning and shooting them. It is just that IMO Remingtons are more fun to clean that Colts or Rugers.
Old March 12, 2012, 12:48 PM   #17
mykeal

The warning....

This is what all the 'fuss' is about:
Old March 12, 2012, 01:17 PM   #18
orangello

I must admit, it is a struggle to contain my jealousy, but it's tax season anyways, and i won't get much shooting time for a month or so longer. That is a FINE revolver.
Old March 12, 2012, 01:19 PM   #19
Doc Hoy

Mykeal plus 1

And the wording of the warning on the version without the warning is " ".

Old March 12, 2012, 01:44 PM   #20
Doc Hoy

Orangello

Orangello and all you other guys,

Thanks for the kind words, but the real admiration goes to Ruger.
Old March 12, 2012, 02:30 PM   #21
KEYBEAR

ROA

I think I will show you the Sister
Old March 12, 2012, 02:42 PM   #22
KEYBEAR

ROA

NUMBER ONE
Old March 12, 2012, 03:24 PM   #23
bedbugbilly

He Doc - I should have known that you'd have the SS "sister" - how about a little incest and breeding those two - it would be interesting to see what the "pups" would look like!? If you do breed 'em, I'd like to speak for one of the spotted ones!

On a serious note - I really think that if you can get 'em at the right price, ROAs are going to be a good investment. With them being discontinued, I think their value is not only going to hold but will increase over time. They are a well built revolver and while not "historically correct" (I just threw that in as I'm sure somebody would bring it up ) they are a "creature unto themselves". They're rugged and made to be "shooters". They're not like the '60 or the '51 or the Remmies that have been made by many different manufacturers. To compare the ROA to those is like apples and oranges. They all are delicious but they taste different.

All kidding aside Doc - I know your thoughts on "holsters" - but it would be nice if you could come up with a "Ruger" holster for the ROA that your cloud display with them. I don't have a photo of one in my holster files but maybe someone here has one they could post a photo of. I believe Ruger sold them and they were a very nice holster. Which brings up another question . . . Did Ruger ever market any kind of a "flask" for the ROA? Something with their logo on it? I've never seen any so it's just curiosity on my part.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 12, 2012, 03:32 PM   #24
zullo74

Actually, the ROA is 'historically correct' back to 1972! All of them out there can be considered 1st generation guns!
Old March 12, 2012, 04:10 PM   #25
Doc Hoy

3Bs

Ruger did make a holster for the ROA but I am not aware of any other "stuff".

And yes, the holsters are quite nice as one might expect.

Talking about investments (which I am not good at) I gave 85.00 for my first ROA in the early 80s. The same time I bought it I also bought a TC hawken in .45 fliinlock for 110.00. I purchased these two weapons in a NATO sporting goods post exchange in Naples, Italy.

I gave the Hawken to my Uncle who died about ten years ago and willed it to my cousin who has it hanging over his mantle now. Took one deer (Pennsylvania white tail 210 pounds and ten points) with it and then retired it.

I gave the ROA to a friend in the German Navy who was in the military exchange program and served in my ship. He wound up as the German equivalent of the Master Chief Pett Officer of the Navy. Uberbootsmann Hanjorg "Yob" Buchheim. The kind of guy you don't forget.