The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 18, 2011, 03:59 PM   #1
Cheapshooter

Burrus scope, how shockproof?

I just bought a T/C G2 Contender with two barrels. One is a ported "Super 14" in 35 Remington with open sights. The other is a 14" 22LR Match with a Burris 1.5-4 Pistol scope.
I got it from a shop, and don't know if the original owner swapped the scope between the two barrels, or just shot the 35 with open sights. One hint I have is that it appears to be a stainless frame, the 35 Rem. barrel is silver finished, but I don't think it's stainless, the Burris scope is silver finished, and the 22 barrel is blued.
My question is will the Burris stand up to the recoil of the 35 Rem. cartridge. Due to the weather, I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, so I can't really compare the recoil to anything.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 18, 2011, 04:13 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Burris pistol scopes are very highly respected.

I have a Burris 2-7x40 on my Encore Pro Hunter, which is chambered in 7mm-08.

Thus far, the scope has performed very well. I contacted Burris to ask them if I should get a scope with the locking reticles due to the relative recoil of a 7-08 handgun. They said no, the regular version will easily handle the recoil.

P.S.- If you're in the market for another scope, my 2-7 is for sale.... I'm trading up to a Burris 4-12x.
Old January 19, 2011, 08:47 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

I have 25 or 30 Contender barrels, & own more Burris scopes than probably any other... I've never had a problem with any of my Burris's... I do use their posi lock scopes on my biggest "kickers" ( 45-70 & 375 Winchester ) as well as a couple of my bigger rifles like my 375 H&H Browning... but have some of their basic scopes on more normal recoiling ( 44 mag, etc ) barrels with no issues BTW... I also have a 35 Remington barrel... Burris has a lifetime warrenty, I wouldn't expect you would have any problems, but even if you did, they'll fix it free

can't really say on your barrel color... I know they used to do an Armaloy frame & barrel ( though I'm not sure if they made 35 Remington Armaloy barrels or not ) but with Duracoat & all the other "paint" type coatings today, your barrel might have been just coated... or could be stainless ???