The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 8, 2009, 05:24 PM   #1
comancheblack2

triple 7 powder charge

I have a question that has a time crunch. I zeroed my scope with two of the triple seven pellets for a total of 100 grain charge. I was using 250 grain power belts. I shot an inch high at 75 meters(on a military range). My question is if I load it with a 150 grain charge will it change my zero so much that will I have to rezero or will I be good to go for hunting. My shots won't exceed 100 meters. I was looking for alittle more knock down power at the deer end. Thanh You
Old November 8, 2009, 05:31 PM   #2
rantingredneck

Commanche,

I don't have an answer to your exact question, but I will tell you from great experience that the 2 pellet 777 load behind a 250 grain bullet will kill your deer dead enough. No need to punish yourself or your gun by tossing another pellet in there. I used to use 3. Went back to 2 and the deer haven't seemed to notice the difference.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old November 8, 2009, 06:17 PM   #3
Doyle

I can almost guarantee you that you will loose accuracy if you go much more than 100 grn. Also be aware that the "magnum" muzzleloaders that are rated for 150 grns are NOT rated for 150grns of 777. 777 is hotter than normal Goex or Pyrodex. You need to drop any Goex or Pyrodex charge by 15% to get the equivalent 777 charge.

Also, for best accuracy loose the pellets and use loose powder.
Old November 8, 2009, 06:43 PM   #4
shortwave

You and Your rifle may be able to handle the magnum 150 grn load but I doubt the Powerbelts will. The skirts on them seem to deform badly after around 110 grns. causing accuracy to fail. If going to 150 grns. you may have to go to a full cupped sabot such as the SST`s. As allready stated, don`t see the need to change if your accurate out to your shooting distance.
Quote:
'magnum' muzzleloaders that are rated for 150 grns. are NOT rated for 150 grns. of 777...
Thats very true but Commanche is shooting 50grn. pellets. They`re different than 777 loose powder. Three 777 50grn. pellets does equal 150 grns of say loose Pyrodex or American Pioneer. You only have to drop the 777 charge by 15% if using 777 loose powder not pellets.
Old November 8, 2009, 06:52 PM   #5
mykeal

Quote:
Thats very true but Commanche is shooting 50grn. pellets. They`re different than 777 loose powder. Three 777 50grn. pellets does equal 150 grns of say loose Pyrodex or American Pioneer. You only have to drop the 777 charge by 15% if using 777 loose powder not pellets.
Where did you get that?
Hodgdon's web site says nothing of the kind. Their advice regarding reduction of the 777 load to get an equivalent Pyrodex load is not specific to loose powder; it applies to 777 in any form.
Further, they recommend pellet combinations up to 100 gr only:
Quote:
Designed for use in 50 caliber in-line rifles. A single Pellet may be used for target or small game and two 50/50 Pellets may be used to create the 100 gr. equivalent for big game.

The 50/30 Pellets are designed for use in conjunction with 50/50 Pellets to tailor loads specific to a given rifle. The 50/30 Pellets may be used in any combination with 50/50 or other 50/30 Pellets in charges up to a maximum of 100 grains.
100 gr of 777 behind a 250 gr Powerbelt at 50 yards is enough to kill any North American big game if you can hit a six inch circle.
Old November 8, 2009, 07:29 PM   #6
comancheblack2

Thanks for the info. I think I'll stick the what I have already zeroed. I used to use 120 grains pyrodex grain But I could'nt use a whole 1 pound can a year so I went to the pellets . They give you just enough pellets to confirm your zero and hunt with. I've shoot a Knight D.I.S.C. Thanks Again
Old November 9, 2009, 05:36 PM   #7
shortwave

Quote:
Where did you get that? Hodgdon`s web site says nothing of the kind. Their advice regarding reduction of the 777 load to get an equivalent Pyrodex load is not specific to loose powder; it applies to 777 in any form.
Don`t know what Hodgdon`s website says but on the container of 777 50grn. pellets I'm looking at it states '50grn. volume equivalent'. As a follow up to WHAT is meant by "volume equivalent"(equivalent to what) , ie equivalent to volume amount of 777 or volume equivalent amount of b/p or Pyrodex I called Mike at Hodgdon (#1-913-362-9455). His explanation:"The 777 pellets are designed to be the volume equivalent of Pyrodex or ffg b/p. Shooting two 777 50 grn. pellets is the same as two 50 grn. Pyrodex pellets or 100 grns of loose Pyrodex/ffg b/p. Shooting a 777 50grn and 30 grn. pellets would be the same as shooting 80 grns. of loose Pyrodex/ffg b/p. Loose 777 powder should be reduced by 15% when changing from Pyrodex/ffg bp to 777 and wanting the same charge".
Old November 9, 2009, 05:55 PM   #8
lara

Why would 100 grains of loose powder be more accurate than 100 grains in pellet form?
Old November 9, 2009, 07:31 PM   #9
shortwave

lara, if you weigh each of your pellets, probably more than a few will weigh differently. Secret to m/l shooting is the same recipe every shot. I tightened my shooting group up dramatically switching back to loose. Understand,what I`m going on is back when pellets first came out. Things may be different,more accurate today. Weigh/shoot your pellets then shoot loose and compare.
Old November 9, 2009, 09:31 PM   #10
rantingredneck

Quote:
Don`t know what Hodgdon`s website says but on the container of 777 50grn. pellets I'm looking at it states '50grn. volume equivalent'. As a follow up to WHAT is meant by "volume equivalent"(equivalent to what) , ie equivalent to volume amount of 777 or volume equivalent amount of b/p or Pyrodex I called Mike at Hodgdon (#1-913-362-9455). His explanation:"The 777 pellets are designed to be the volume equivalent of Pyrodex or ffg b/p. Shooting two 777 50 grn. pellets is the same as two 50 grn. Pyrodex pellets or 100 grns of loose Pyrodex/ffg b/p. Shooting a 777 50grn and 30 grn. pellets would be the same as shooting 80 grns. of loose Pyrodex/ffg b/p. Loose 777 powder should be reduced by 15% when changing from Pyrodex/ffg bp to 777 and wanting the same charge".
Yeah, but the package insert from 777 pellets says not to exceed 100 gr. or 2 777 pellets even though some gun manufacturers say their guns are rated for 150 gr.

That being said, their regular pyrodex pellets insert says the same thing IIRC.

I've shot 3 777 pellets. My gun was actually darn accurate with it, but the recoil was a bit sharp and I do just as well with 2 pellets. Still have all my fingers and toes.........

.......but I'd still stick to 2 pellets......

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old November 10, 2009, 05:36 AM   #11
shortwave

Quote:
I`ve shot three 777 pellets...
Ranting, have done the same with pretty much the same results. Found the Powerbelt boolits just couldn`t stand the mag. charge of pellets or loose in any powder I`ve shot. Had to go to sabot`s to get any accuracy and to loose powder to get more consistant/better accuracy. Shooting a T/C Encore with an Omega BDC scope and a charge consisting of 250grn. SST/150grns. American Pioneer, I will witness that the setup is good for 250 yds. The lines on the scope just plain worked as designed. Granted thats punching paper but no doubt it`ll dispatch deer at that range also. Furthest shot to date on a deer was 151yds. The terrain here doesn`t usually permit a hunting shot much over 100yds. This Spring I`m going to reduce powder charge, re-zero and play with lines on scope. My shooting partner says " if it ain`t broke, don`t fix it" and although this set-up is working fine its also fun to experiment. Partner just hunts but I also like to distant shoot also. The Omega BDC scope makes that enjoyable as eye`s aren`t what they used to be.