The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 11, 2008, 08:02 PM   #1
R.Taylor

Pattern too tight?

I just got an 870 for HD and bought a few different brands of 00 to see which patterned best. I was shooting at a 15"x12" target from 25 yards. I had a wide variety of shot patterns, but the best two were "Remington Managed-Recoil" and "Federal Premium Law Enforcement Tactical w/Flightcontrol Wad"

The Remington's had a spread of about 10". We kept almost all the shot on the target. These were also the second cheapest shells I tried ~$3.50/box.

The Federal's shot really tight, about 4-5". With 5 shells we easily kept all the shot on the target. These were also the cheapest ~$2.60/box.

Now with 5" @ 25 yards these Fed's are going to hit like a slug at HD distances. Other than having to aim better would that be a problem?

I might just keep the Rem's stocked to give the wife a little more leeway, But what would you use?

Thanks
RT
Old January 11, 2008, 08:26 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Are you sure that was 25 yards? I mean 25 big boy paced steps? them are impressive results even if from a super tight choke!
What choke is your barrel? My gun is at 4-5 inches in under 10 yards for sure. At HD distance you will find ALL shells are like a slug... A 7 1/2 is going in one hole about 1-2 inches at 7-10 feet. But the beauty in 00 or 000 is the exit wound! Ain't too many zombies still standing with 6-10 inches of spine missing! I will try to find those rounds and try them in my 18.5 cylindrical barrel. I will post results.
Brent
Old January 11, 2008, 08:58 PM   #3
R.Taylor

Well I'm 5'10 and they were full strides. It had to have been pretty close to 25 yards. I'm shooting a 870 with an 18" cyl bore barrel. I too was amazed at the pattern of the Fed's especially after shooting the Winchesters which only 4-5 shots hit the target per shell.

I went to three stores buying shells to get a variety: Sportsman's Warehouse, Sports Authority, and Impact Guns. Impact was the only one that carried the Federal Law Enforcement shells.

From the box:
(front)
Federal Premium
Law Enforcement Flightcontrol Wad
Ammunition

Tactical (on shell pic)

(side)
Tactical 12GA
2 3/4 inch Maximum
Muz Vel 1145 FPS
With Flightcontrol Wad
8 Pellets - 00 Buck LE113 00
Old January 11, 2008, 09:15 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Holy chit!
Them results are super! Remember you can load a bird shot for first round... In the home you will be in pretty tight before the gunfire start. Longest in this house is 20 feet door way to doorway... I would, in your case, find the loosest grouping 00 for first round if it is 4 inches or so at 20 feet than them tight groupin' rounds behind it.
IMHO YMMV I don't give a hoot at entrance wound shot spread. It is the total stopping power of them .30 cal balls each going in hunt of a vital organ I want to see... Once in the body all it takes is a bone or ligament to send them off each seeking an organ of their own!
Brent