The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 31, 2005, 10:31 AM   #1
2600+

essex frames/slides

has any one used essex parts for a build up did you like them? why? did you not like them? why?

paul
Old August 31, 2005, 11:12 AM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have not used their slides, but have used some of their frames. They are pretty good, and have just enough extra in the area of the rails to allow proper fitting of the slide. GI and GI spec parts should be drop in, but some other parts may require fitting.

(Be careful; Essex does not tumble their frames and the edges are really sharp. I suggest breaking the edges with a stone before working on them.)

Jim
Old September 1, 2005, 09:13 AM   #3
JoeHatley

I built this Frankenpistol using a stainless Essex frame. These pictures aren't really ment to display the frame, but you may be able to get a general idea.

I used Essex because it was very inexpensive. IIRC... dealer cost was around $120, but that was over 10 years ago.

The frame came with zero polishing, and the rails were very slightly oversized. They actually mated up to the rails of my very used slde with minimal fitting in my case.

The gun has well over 20k rounds though it, and the frame shows nothing more than a bit more "polishing" on the rails.

Good Luck...

Joe
Old September 1, 2005, 11:33 AM   #4
Handy

I have an Essex built gun - it's nice enough.

BUT, if I were to build a 1911, even on the relative cheap, I'd probably go with Caspian. Looking around on the internet, a basic Essex frame will cost $95, but a Caspian is only $150. That seems like a small additional cost to get a frame so well respected in the industry.
Old September 1, 2005, 05:05 PM   #5
HSMITH

The last Essex frame I built was an alloy frame, but it was about 10 years ago. It left more than a little to be desired. Prior to that I used a couple steel frames that weren't bad considering the price......

Handy nailed it, for the little extra money a Caspian is a TON nicer frame and will be easier to build. It will also have more resale by about double.