The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 4, 2015, 06:38 AM   #1
Famas

Mosin ex-sniper weld question

Hello - I've noticed quite a few Mosin Nagant Rifles for sale being marked as "ex-sniper". Images I see point to the two holes on the left side of the receiver that were later plugged. I am asking if it is worth the effort to remove these plugs to re-install a new scope and mount, or is it not worth it? It's my understanding these hole were filled in with a screw which was then welded into place and ground flush.

Any thoughts? Thank you.
Old June 4, 2015, 06:56 AM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

If you can discern the hole centers, then they could be drilled out, for a larger diameter thread, and a tap ran through them.

If you drill down enough to release the screw from the weld, I don't know if you could get it out, unless you might use an easy-out.
Old June 4, 2015, 07:14 AM   #3
Gunfixr

The mounts i have seen use two screws, and two dowel pins. The dowel pins do the alignment, the screws hold it down.
The screws have always been 6mm extra fine thread.
There could be hard spots from the welding. Generally, you wont know until you start cutting.
While carbide drills will get through the hard spots, i have yet to see a carbide tap. You would not be able to re-tap the hard spots.
Old June 4, 2015, 07:16 AM   #4
madmo44mag

Go to this link.
These guys can tell you all you want or need to know.

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...osin-Nagant-HQ
Old June 4, 2015, 02:50 PM   #5
Gunplummer

Russian receivers are only case hardened. Even if welded up, once through the original case it will be soft. They would have to have used Wear Rods to harden in the hole itself.
Old June 5, 2015, 12:02 PM   #6
tobnpr

Quote:
I am asking if it is worth the effort to remove these plugs to re-install a new scope and mount
Not sure what you're asking here...
If you want to install a PU mount and scope (either original or repro) you'll need to drill them out. A lot of work, I think they have locating pin holes as well- but not sure about that...

Is it in an ex-sniper stock? If not, you'll need to inlet the stock for the mount.

What you will end up with is a repro "sniper", not worth a lot, but with a lot of money and effort put into it. If you just want to scope the rifle, there are easier, cheaper, and better ways allowing a modern scope to be installed over the receiver.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old June 9, 2015, 05:07 AM   #7
BoogieMan

If your set on an original style mount. The easiest thing to do is to move it forward ot back enough to allow the new holes and pins to be drilled through fresh metal. It's not out of the question to remove the old screws and pins but it isn't cost/time effective.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old June 12, 2015, 12:33 AM   #8
IDAHO GAITERS

From what i've read there is a reason they are ex-sniper and no longer wear a scope. Idaho Gaiters
Old June 12, 2015, 07:17 AM   #9
tobnpr

Quote:
From what i've read there is a reason they are ex-sniper and no longer wear a scope. Idaho Gaiters
This is true- but not across the board.

Many rifles were "de-snipered" after WWII simply because there were so many (hundreds of thousands were made) and the re-furbishment process was involved- so many were likely deemed as unnecessary to refurb and arsenal store as snipers. But as you say, the same would have happened if accuracy had degraded to the point that they were no longer suitable for this purpose.

I have a Tula marked ("C" and upside down "U") marked Sniper that was never drilled for a mount.
www.biggorillagunworks.com